30 Day Shred: Week 1

Discussion in 'Fit Pad' started by AmberR, Oct 8, 2012.

1. AmberR

AmberR Take that naysayers! Pink is my color.

Okay, I don't know about the rest of you, but I NEED an accountability thread in addition to inspiration and motivation from the rest of you! So here we go!

Week 1

Day 1, Level 1
    Weight: 58.8 kg

How I felt: I'm in better shape than I thought, except my arms, thought I'd die when it got to the last strength move (hate that one).
    In General: I didn't work up near enough of a sweat, but I don't want to overdo it and give up before I see results.

Day 2, Level 1 completed.
    Felt: energized. added weights to rows, & chest flys, decreased weights on that last strength move. Still doing 'bench' presses instead of push-ups due to wrist injury.

Day 3, Level 1 - completed!
    Felt: energized. Added 500g to 1 kg weights for rows, bicep curls & chest flys. Decreased to 500g for shoulder raises (will this one EVER get easier?!) and managed lift both arms the entire time instead of alternating out of exhaustion!

Day 4, Level 1 - completed
    Felt: tired. same spiel as yesterday. no change except I was tired last night and tired this morning.

Day 5, Level 1 - completed
    squeezed this one in. didn't really feel it today. muscles SO SORE. No time at the weekend, I hope to move on to Level 2 on Monday...birthday sweets are going to do me in this weekend!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  2. Pheeebzzz

Pheeebzzz Well-Known Member

Joining in for accountability as well.

Week 1

Day 1 - Level 1
    Starting Weight : 83.5 kg
    Weights used : 500g (they were too light but 1kg would have been waaaay too heavy for the chest flies, I might use 2 sets of weights tomorrow or keep using the 500g for a couple more days)
    It was hard to go through, but maybe it seemed harder than it actually was because I remember going through this level like a breeze. I never stopped to catch my breath which I find great considering the last time I exercised was before being pregnant (the only "exercise" I kept doing while pregnant and after the birth - well, when the massive hematoma in my belly was gone - is walking) so that would be 20 months ago....
    I do wall push ups instead of regular ones, that's how I eased into real push ups the last time I worked on getting fit. Since I could do real push ups in the end, I'll just do how I did it last time....

Of course, it's not enough to burn those calories, I've also been successful so far at eating "clean" (but the day is far from being over, I know).

3. AmberR

how'd you do on the 'clean' eating? I managed better than the past three weeks. Ate one chocolate covered marshmallow yesterday, leftover from birthdays, but managed to steer clear of the oreos! I maybe had too much for dinner, but did not eat between any meals. Yay.

4. Pheeebzzz

There are leftovers from birthdays here too and I did have one tiny piece of cake yesterday (it could have been way worse).
    DS was absolutely clingy all afternoon so I went twice for a 30 minute walk with hilm in the sling yesterday so I guess I totally burned that piece of cake. I have to be mindful of the way my mood trigers (or not) comfort eating, that's totally what the cake was all about yesterday : I was exhausted (not just physically, but emotionally too, there's a lot going on at the moment) and needed the food to be able to hang in there. That's also why I didn't do too well this morning (had some chocolate), but hopefully I'll move this afternoon and control the damages.
    Wanted to do my workout this morning as well, but DS must be teething or something and he absolutely won't let go of me :/. Hopefully he'll feel better this afternoon and will stay with his Dad for a while.

Congrats on not eating between meals ! Hope you'll manage to steer clear of the oreos today too :D

5. Pheeebzzz

Week 1
    Day 2 - Level 1
    Managed to do my workout in the afternoon. Jillian got me sweating, and panting for sure. But it wasn't that bad. I was glad I chose to use the 500g weights yesterday as I was really feeling my arms muscles today. I used the same weights today but I'll probably use the 1kg ones for the biceps curls tomorrow, 500g is definitely too light for me for this exercice.
    I didn't eat that well today, but it was not a total disaster.
    Basically, I'm quite happy I managed to do day 2 and I hope I'll keep focusing on my achievements rather than my failures....

How was day 2 for you Amber ?

6. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Well, I couldn't start yesterday, but I did manage to start today and it wasn't as bad as I thought. So far for this week I'm eating much better too! Let's see if I can keep at it!

7. eryn

eryn gross no longer

thanks for this thread...you girls are inspiring me! Might have to get a copy :)

8. AmberR

yay Karen! Glad you got started!

Just having this thread to check in on is keeping me going. Day 3 completed and I managed to eat only that last marshmallow yesterday. Now the marshmallows are gone and I may need to toss the oreos or they could end up in my belly and on my hips. boo!

Pheeebzzz (is that for phoebe?) - good on you for getting in that workout yesterday despite the clingy babe! I just found out that Kindergarten is closed tomorrow, so I'll be working out with company tomorrow as well. they like to get underfoot. I've literally kickboxed one of my kids in the head before because they can't seem to NOT run through swinging limbs as if it were an obstacle course!

Oh, and can I just say: I've been energized all week instead of dragging with exhaustion. Yay for just twenty minutes a day of exercise!

9. Pheeebzzz

Glad to hear that you already wen through day 3 and you finished the marshmallow :D

Yes, Pheeebzzz is for Phoebe which had been my online alias for eons but is pretty much already in use everywhere... so in the online digi world, I'm Pheeebzzz :D

I'll do my workout later when DH comes back from his various appointments. But tomorrow, he won't be here at all and I'll have to do my workout with the 11 mo baby under my feet... I'll probably put him in his chair and pray that he'll be willing to stay there for as long as I need him too (maybe seeing Mum moving will keep him entertained ?), I'm pretty sure he'll otherwise end up being accidentally kicked :/
    I too feel much more energized, I even emptied the last 2 boxes in the office yesterday (they'd been there since me moved in June).

Karen, good to see you on board too !
    Eryn, yes do get a copy and join the fun, ahem... :D

10. javamonster

javamonster Rwaarrr!

Let's see. I'm on Day 5, Level 1.
    On the second circuit, I've moved to doing everything with the five pound weights. When it comes to doing the combination moves, though (anterior raises while doing side lunges, for example) I move to three pound weights. I guess my shoulder and triceps muscles are wimps!

I think I'm doing well enough I may start doing the Shred two days on, one day off, and build up to where I don't think I'll hurt knee/hip doing it everyday. My current jeans are starting to hang on me but my one size smaller jeans, while I can fit into them and zip the zipper up (!!!!!) were very very snug. I've also started keeping a food diary. I don't always write down the calories, but at least I'm not pigging out when I write it all down.

And honestly? I can't wait to finally get out of Level 1 because I am so bored with it! I've started and stopped several times before finishing the level (injury, getting sick, you name it) and I'd like to just move up!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  11. Pheeebzzz

Week 1
    Day 3 - Level 1
    I only had a small window to do my workout this morning and I'm actually quite proud of myself for taking it instead of waiting until this afternoon. Now it's done and I feel good about it. I've moved to 1kg weights mid circuit 2 and I needed the extra challenge. This was definitely harder but not undoable and I don't think I over-pushed myself (hopefully I won't be too sore tomorrow !).
    I'm doing ok regarding food so far, I try and log my food, I too have found in the past that logging everything prevents me from ating too much : I hate to have to put it in writing afterwards :D

12. AmberR

Mine too. I have to reduce weights on that same darn move. i hate that one. with a passion!

I kind of think this is why I never manage to do the whole shred. i get SO BORED. I used to mix it up and do the levels out of order just to get out of the grind! Or I'd do a day of shredding and a day of BFBM. gotta mix it up. When do we get out of level 1? after a week? I was gonna start 2 on Monday, even though I won't be shredding at the weekend.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  13. AmberR

Good job keeping it up, girls! I had to workout quickly just now with the boy watching. and distracting me. why is it he always wants to talk to me when I am gasping for breath?!

I had a bad day yesterday, the girl is having school/homework issues and there was a lot of yelling and frustration. I took it out on the oreos. I think I ate six. I need to toss them today so I can't do that again. :(

14. Pheeebzzz

Don't beat yourself up on the oreos, Amber, try to sweat them away instead : D... easier said than done, I should know. I'm alone with the little one and will be for three days, well his older brothers and sister will be here tomorrow... I hope i'll manage to exercise. I'm not doing too good with food, I feel a little doxn and tend to seek comfort in food :/

15. AmberR

you and me both!

16. Pheeebzzz

Week 1
    Day 4 - Level 1
    I have to confess I didn't complete Day4. DS wouldn't leave my arms, he was clingy and needy and was whining a lot (he's teething so...) and he didn't sleep except in the car on our way back from grocery shopping :/. I am not happy at all with myself :/. Hopefully he'll feel better tomorrow, ahem, today and I'll be able to do day 5.

17. Pheeebzzz

Week 1
    Day 5 - Level 1
    Today was a repeat of yesterday. Couldn't do anything. Can't wait for DH to come back home so I can go to the bathroom without hearing DS screaming....

18. eryn

eryn gross no longer

Woot I'm joining you all!!

I started the 30 day shred yesterday and have done day 2 as well.
    My legs are soooo sore!! lol
    It's hard, but I'm so proud of myself for doing it and I can't wait for tomorrow to do day 3!

ok so my weight loss journey actually started about 6 weeks ago when i read the book 'Why Quantum Physicists Don't Get Fat' by Greg Kuhn.
    I seriously recommend this book to everyone. It will help you with your weight loss tremendously.
    So anyway in the last 6 weeks I have lost 7kg with no exercise and very little effort with my diet.
    But that's not fast enough, so yesterday I started the 30 Day Shred, and tomorrow I start the hundredpushups challenge with a heap of friends.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  19. javamonster

javamonster Rwaarrr!

Pheeebzzz, I know you're an experienced mom, and every baby's reaction to teeth coming in is different, but have you tried those baby teething things that you freeze? Is he a mouth oriented baby? He might really enjoy the pressure of biting down on one of those freezer rings. With my daughter (truly oral-oriented, wow, EVERYthing went into her mouth) when I pressed down on her gums with my finger with Anbesol on it, she got all happy. Otherwise, some baby aspirin or ibuprofen, something to deaden the pain, might help him a lot. I'm so sorry the little guy is in so much pain, and you're sliding to the end of the rope because of it. You might have already tried turning the DVD on and exercising in front of him, right? Who knows, your weird, frenetic movements might just distract the baby from his pain!

Last night I finished L1 D7 of the Shred. It's getting easier as I go along, but it's the second time in the third circuit (after doing those :eg9 anterior raises with the side lunges) that I've stayed down on the floor and done triceps lifts with the 5 lb weights instead of my modified jumping jacks.

Last night while walking for hours with my kids around 6 Flags' Fright Fest, my lower back started hurting right around the tailbone. Sitting and stretching my back out seemed to help. Maybe it's my old sneakers not giving me the right support? I was worried my back muscles were going to spasm. Eeek! Luckily they didn't. I'm not sure what else I can do to strengthen the back and supportive muscles.