Cleaning vs. Scrapping, Reading etc.

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by christineirion, May 11, 2012.

1. christineirion

christineirion christineirion

From the various chat in the forum, there seems to be one thing that we ladies all share in common. We love to put off the cleaning, laundry, chores, etc. to scrap with all the TLP awsomeness and to spend time with our favorite guys like Mr. Barrons, Mr. Shade, or one of the brotherhood. :giggle

Recently this has gotten me into some trouble at home and my DH has let me know he's not happy about it. I've also discovered he's shared his thoughts with our young boys. How do I know?

Twice this week I have asked the boys to pick up after themselves because I am tired of doing it for them. Their response..."No Mom, you are supposed to be cleaning more! You need to stop being an 'iPad-er' and clean more! Stop 'iPad-ing' and start cleaning!" I got this from my almost 5 year old!

So, I want to hear your story about how you have gotten in trouble for neglecting your chores to scrap or read and how you responded!!!

(A few days later I told my son he needed to stop being a video-gamer and pick up his messes!)

2. Nikki Epperson

Nikki Epperson I'm really a spy.

Dusty walks in all the time with me sitting in his chair, my laptop, well, on my lap. He wants to say something, but he knows better. If he says too much, I strike. lol. I won't do laundry for a few days. ;)

But I babysit here, so he knows I'm up and busy. Nap time is when I stay on my booty as much as possible!

3. judet

judet Active Member

I'd go on strike too and dh knows it!

4. aballen

aballen Don't make me break out the milk

If you are the only one making the mess or dirtying things then I think they are right, but I highly doubt that is the case, ;)
    I think that cleaning a house or any other chore should be a family thing, not just a mom thing.

5. Heather Prins

Heather Prins Heather Prins

Agreed i threaten that we should all clean up our own messes and do our own laundry, etc.

6. bderby

bderby No, I will not tell you what "merde" means!

dh is gone all the time and knows that I handle pretty much everything and so he doesn't say much....he also has learned from experience that my feelings get majorly hurt when he comments about the house, so he is usually pretty wise :)

7. simply-j-studio

simply-j-studio Member

Nap time is valuable time!! It's sometimes the only time I actually have a chance to sit!

8. kelley

kelley Gets excited over little green things.

If my dh said something, I'd say it right back. We sometimes argue about this. He works full time outside the home, but I work part-time at home, homeschool the kids, and cook. So in my opinion, the cleaning is not all up to me, although I'm the one that usually does it. SO, if he has a problem, he better just step up and do something, lol!! I have told him plenty that I'm not going to just work, work, work all day long every day so that the house is spotless. He comes home from work and wants to lay down and be fed by me and relax and watch TV the rest of the day, so I don't see how me hanging out on the computer is any different. LOL - I totally just went on a venting rampage, lol. Really, he hasn't said anything in a long time- i just have very strong feelings about this topic!!

9. Cristina

Cristina Handmade with love, actually

Well, it's exactly the same in my house. *sigh* DH complains I'm not a good homemaker because I'm scrapping all the time. The fact is, 1. I never was a good homemaker, even before my scrapping days. 2. I have been scrapbooking very little in the past few months, I've been working a lot, and cleaning the house isn't at the top of my priority list. :(

10. rmcabana

rmcabana Hit me with your best shot

My mom sits around reading more than I do so she can't complain if I'm goofing off! Neither one of can really complain!

11. mrsski07

mrsski07 Hot for Harlequin

Nope. In fact, I'm the one who gets mad at DH because even though I'm working full time now I still have the same household chores (read: everything) that I did when I was a SAHM. DH knows I work hard and that I very rarely sit to scrap before 9pm on week nights. I do, however, sit to scrap/relax during nap time on the weekends even if there's housework to be done.

12. bderby

bderby No, I will not tell you what "merde" means!

heeeheee, this is me too. it kind of gets me riled up talking about it.

and I have to say that dh is pretty good to help me, even if things aren't done exactly the way that I would do them...it is still help which is more than I can say for some of my friends.

13. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Life is exciting, yes it is!

it seems lately i've hardly had time for any of it, unless i steal a few minutes of reading while i'm waiting in the pick-up line at school or something like that. but i am my own worst critic when it comes to this kind of thing. i have a really hard time with a messy house. i get all super-cranky and unpleasant... i think they call that OCD. for realz. i'm a lunatic if the house feels to chaotic, and i can't enjoy my creative process or reading time anyway. so i tend to do the house stuff first.

that being said, i also don't do it 100%. i get it to a 'that's good enough for now' state and then let it go.

14. 4noisyboys

4noisyboys Being a Grandma is the best!

My dh and boys are complete pigs!! We could live in filth and they'd never notice. My boys think our house is the cleanest of all their friends! LOL!!!! Believe me...it's NOT! I can do very little and impress them! My dh has never complained about my housecleaning or how much time I spend in front of the computer. He's in front of the tv most of the time.

I really can't wait till all the boys are gone...and I can have my clean house finally!

15. scrapsandsass

scrapsandsass Oh Ricky you're so fine ...

No one picks up/cleans anything at our house except for me, so they rarely have the cajones to say anything about the level of cleanliness. Occasionally I do get crap for "not spending quality time" with DD because I am "always on the computer." :p My DH is like Debra's and is constantly watching tv, so he also can't say much there. AND I have the distinct advantage of going to school online, so I can flip back and forth between screens and no one knows whether I'm doing homework or playing. :giggle

16. Kat

Kat Seeking wine/shopping/teeth brushing support group

I'm probably in trouble right now b/c I'm here reading this thread instead of spending the day going through boxes to take back to Texas tomorrow. *eek!

17. crystalbella77

crystalbella77 Capture life and embrace it

well...I confess that I used to totally neglect the house and would read and scrap instead, but this past year I have taken some scrappy breaks and gotten caught up on the house and now I have a system. No scrapping until the weekends or evenings and only if the house is clean or at least the kitchen/dining/ living area clean. I try to clean it every night before I sit to watch my shows or anything just to make sure I get it done because if I don't do it then it doesn't get done and then it piles up and then I get stressed out and completely frozen.

My hubby has put up with me for years not putting the house first and putting my own hobbies first and it took some big life events for me to realize how selfish I was being. I have found that now that I am doing more and doing it on time and consistently, that he helps me so much more and so much more willingly! It's lovely and it feels great! Also, I dont usually get online unless he is at work or if he is doing something he wants...like his call of duty or a movie I don't want to watch. By doing this I have also found that he seems to want to do more things with me and will ask me what I want to do first before doing his own thing. :)

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  18. kimbytx

kimbytx New Member

Some days between work, dealing with the cranky kid and husband after work, the last thing I want to do is clean. So if I get an hour or 2 to myself and scrap or read a book I do not feel guilty. lol. I usually catch up on the weekends when I am off. My husband and daughter are slobs and could care less if the house is clean or not. I am constantly having to tell her to pick her stuff up. It eventually bugs me though.

19. Kim Gehring

Kim Gehring It's all about the 3-Cs: coffee, caramel, claw

Oh boy. My computer time was such an issue with my ex-husband (even though his time at home was usually spent in front of his laptop or the tv). But his problem with me being on the computer actually had nothing to do with keeping up the house and had everything to do with his need for constant attention. Just one of the many reasons he is now my ex. :giggle

I completely agree Abish!

I used to do the same exact thing. :hehe You do what you gotta do, right?
    What kind of classes are you taking?

Good for you! :agree