ISO Summer Bucket List Ideas

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by LeeAndra, May 8, 2012.

1. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I'm a wee bit plan-tastic and love making a summer bucket list each year of all the fun things I want to do with the fam. There are a few big ticket items, like traveling to a different city, but most are simple like going to the splash pad, going somewhere to see fireworks for the Fourth of July, etc.

What are y'all planning on doing this summer? I fully intend on ganking your best ideas, so make 'em count!

P.S. No, Angie, none of the items on my list will involve running. Or thinking abt running. Unless Mr. Hottie NoPants is volunteering his services. :giggle

2. melrio

melrio I will hunt you!

We're taking it a little easier than last year. We'll be doing some camping and going to bike rallies but for the most part I think we're doing a Staycation at home.

3. Angie4b1g

Angie4b1g A hundred jobs but Bob Villa ain't one

4. renee82

renee82 renee82

Bahahhahhaha!!!! I sure could use some extra motivation right now. lol!

We aren't planning too much. I'm more of a go with the flow kind of summer person. We usually do go to our camp and some fishing and such and sometimes we plan a little trip out of town to visit some sort of fun attraction. Otherwise no big plans here.

5. kelley

kelley Gets excited over little green things.

Chris and I were just talking last night about what we want to do this summer. :)

Here's the list with a few of my own things added that we didn't talk about:
    1. Camping - 5 trips. Three will be to the local campground on the weekends, so no time off from work. One will be a fav campground that we haven't been to since my 5-year-old was a baby, and the other will be a new-to-us campground.
    2. Zoo trip - just a day trip
    3. Lots of hanging at the pool
    4. Swimming lessons for the kids (so excited because now we live in the town where they do this - before we never had them available to us without a long drive).
    5. Get a sprinkler for the kids
    6. Garden fun - grown strawberries, melon, berries, etc. :)
    7. Hanging at home and relaxing!

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  6. Nikki Epperson

Nikki Epperson I'm really a spy.

Since I have "big" kids and I babysit, I'll have kids ranging from 3 - 16 this summer. My 16 year old won't be doing too much with us since he'll be working and going on a mission trip. But the others are 3 ,8 ,9, and 12. We'll be going to see the free movies at the local movie theater every week starting the week of June 12.
    Other than that, since I'll have 2 extra kids every day, we'll either head to the splash pad or hang out here. I'm going to have to stalk pinterest for things for them to do because they usually wind up fighting more than anything else.

7. Nikki Epperson

oh and we have season passes to the Aquarium here, so I'm going to try to do that. We only have 5 passes, so idk how I'll manage that just yet.

8. milo82

milo82 milo82

oooh although Lina will 1,5 yr this summer I plan to do lots of fun things, cause she loves to be involved with everything! The plans are:

- make yoghurt icecream
    - put up the swimming pool
    - go to the zoo
    - fill a big bucket to blow as much bubbles as we can
    - pick flowers
    - eat lots of strawberries (hopefully from our own backyard)
    - look for little creatures in the backyard
    - visit the petting zoo
    - find a nice playground nearby
    - go for bikerides
    - & much, much more!

9. Kate

Kate The Doctor's new companion

I can't even begin to think about summer yet! It's still wet and cold here and my kids don't finish school until the end of July, summer seems AGES away!

10. Nikki Epperson

My kids only have *gasp* 4 days of school left. I love them, I REALLY do, but I am already tired just thinking about summer!

11. javamonster

javamonster Rwaarrr!

My daughter realized that because of schedule changes in the LAUSD, her school is going to have only 6 weeks of vacation. She's been making a bucket list over the past couple of weeks. It mostly consists of going to the beach. She needs her wisdom teeth out, but she's insisting it happen *before* the summer; two years ago I scheduled a tonsillectomy for her right at the end of school, and it laid her up for almost an entire month! (oops) It's going to be a chore to get my son out of the house, in the meantime.

Maybe we'll get to the Grand Canyon for a camping trip of some kind. Traditionally, we go camping in the first week of June to get the summer started. We didn't last year, and my almost 16 yo daughter had a meltdown about it! *quietlyheaddesksaboutteenagers*

12. kelley

kelley Gets excited over little green things.

LOl! We homeschool, so I just LOVE it when we get to summer break. Days are so much easier for us when we don't have hours of school to fit in. Leaves a lot of room for fun stuff :)

13. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

Thanks for the ideas, ladies! My list is filling up quickly... :)

14. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

Wow - that's early. Our kids go to the end of June. So I've got a few weeks to put something together.

15. crystalbella77

crystalbella77 Capture life and embrace it

there are some awesome Summer lists on Pinterest! Just search for Summer Bucket list and I know you find stuff! I saw some recently but am in a hurry so I can't link ya at the moment!

16. tanbanan

tanbanan New Member

make sure you search for some geocaches! we've had fun doing that and just looking for ones near us!

17. crystalbella77

crystalbella77 Capture life and embrace it

18. listgirl

listgirl listgirl

Todd and I have made a summer list every year since 2009. We share a Google doc and we each add to it when we think of something. These are some of the things we have on our list. Some are San Diego-specific, but some aren't.

Rent a room on the beach.
    Go to Del Mar Fair.
    Go to horse racing at Del Mar Fairgrounds.
    Taste of Gaslamp.
    Padres baseball game.
    Run the AFC Half Marathon.
    Take the train to an Angels game in Anaheim.
    Walk on the beach on a week night.
    Sea World.
    Photo shoot.
    Rent the yellow street Go Cars down at the Embarcadero. GPS tours.
    Read.
    Hillcrest farmers market.
    Hike Torrey Pines near glider port.
    Photo Secret San Diego excursions.
    San Diego Symphony Pops at the Embarcadero.
    Hornblower dinner cruise.
    Take ferry to Coronado Island and rollerblade.
    Old Town Trolley Tour.
    Ice cream at Seaport Village.
    Legoland.
    Watch a sunset @ Sunset Cliffs.
    Kayak to the Caves.
    Grunion runs.
    Fireworks.
    Boogie boarding.
    Green Flash Concert @ Birch Aquarium.
    Cinema Under The Stars.
    Movies at Stone Brewery.
    Bike along the bay in Coronado.

19. rmcabana

rmcabana Hit me with your best shot

I haven't thought of a thing to do yet! My birthday week/vacation is coming up very soon. My big goal though is to move and I hope to get that done this summer.

20. simply-j-studio

simply-j-studio Member

We are moving in a couple weeks. plus I have a brand new baby, so I think we will be taking it pretty easy this summer. I want to do some fun things with my kids, but I think we'll mostly keep it small and local (parks, splash pads, etc.). At the end of the school year, my kids and I sit down with a big blank poster and pull out all our Sharpies (I bought two fun multi-colored packs) and make a list of all the things we want to do over the summer. I let them write their own ideas down. They love being involved and think it is fun to write their own with the fun markers. They usually have good ideas that are pretty easy, too. Some fun things we've done that are easy...

movie night with friends
    hot dog roast at Grandma's (who has a fire pit)
    going to get shaved ice (one of our very favorites in summer)
    lemonade stand, make homemade ice cream (we have one of these ice cream balls and it is awesome)
    local dinosaur museum