Childrens Books

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by mommatrish, May 10, 2012.

1. mommatrish

mommatrish mommatrish

[​IMG]

So, did you hear the news about Maurice Sendak dying yesterday?
    I heard about it on the way home from work and was so sad. :( We love Where the Wild Things Are (the book, not the weird emo movie...) And we have one of the most awesome pop-up books that is done by him also.

In the spirit of him and childrens books...
    What are some of your favorite childrens books?

2. sarahbhb

sarahbhb Happy Anniversary babe! Now, pack up!

I saw that about Maurice Sendak...I grew up reading the Little Bear books (which he illustrated) and Where the Wild Things Are is still one of my favorite picture books.

I used to work in a children's library so the subject of picture books is one that is very dear to me...here are a few of my favorites (I'll try to keep it shout)

Anything by Mo Willems (Pigeon cracks me up..but I also really really love the Knufflebunny books)
    Olivia by Ian Falconer
    Click Clack Moo: Cows That Type (and the others in the series as well) by Doreen Cronin & Betsy Lewin
    The Paper Bag Princess by Robert Munsch
    Anything by Kevin Henkes
    The Polar Express by Chris van Allsburg
    The Library by Sarah Stewart (this one is very special to me since the people at the library I worked at gave DD a copy of the book when she was born as the main character in the book has the same name as her...and it turns out my Elizabeth Brown likes books almost as much as the Elizabeth Brown in the story).

3. AmberR

AmberR Take that naysayers! Pink is my color.

I was just wishing for some children's book recommendations yesterday, so this thread is perfect. We actually don't have WTWTA, that's one I should look into getting the kids!! We do have a couple pigeon books though, and they love those, as well as the Little Wombat books and all the Pinkalicious books. My DD actually has a Kindle Fire and I was wanting books for that!

4. mrspotts

mrspotts Could I get a planner for my planner?

We are old school around here, my girls love...

Bearenstein Bears
    Clifford

The newer books they like have been mentioned.

5. Nikki Epperson

Nikki Epperson I'm really a spy.

Colton is 8 and he reads anything he can get his hands on. He loves going to the library at school and he almost always picks something about nature (or a Disney/Pixar book). He brought home the same shark book 4 times this year!

Books he loves the most that we have here are Dr. Suess books. He giggles while he reads them, which makes me extremely happy!

We also have random books that were Lane's (now 16) and Destiny's (now 12). I can't throw books away for some reason.

6. kelley

kelley Gets excited over little green things.

I hadn't heard. THat is so sad!! My kids' favorite children's books are pretty much any Dr. Suess, The Gruffalo, Cecile Small, Where the Wild Things Are, and Brown Bear. There really are so many they love.

7. sarahbhb

sarahbhb Happy Anniversary babe! Now, pack up!

Oh I forgot to mention Eric Carle's work...he was another of DD's favorites when she was little. So colorful! The Very Hungry Caterpillar was her favorite but she also loved From Head to Toe.

And Dr. Seuss. How could I forget him..she still has Dr. Seuss books she refuses to give up.

8. Nikki Epperson

Nikki Epperson I'm really a spy.

With summer coming up, I need to watch this thread. I babysit and it would be nice to have some books to send kids to separate corners when they need it! ;)

9. simply-j-studio

simply-j-studio Member

Oh my goodness... I could go on and on. I love children's books. Some of our favorites at our home...

The Napping House by Audrey Wood.
    We also love books by Mo Willems... my kids LOVE the pigeon books. The elephant and piggie ones are fun for beginning readers. He also has some beginning ones about a cat that my daughter loves.
    anything Eric Carle
    Owl Babies is one of my favorites. I think I love it more than my kids, it's such a cute story.

All my books are packed up because we're moving soon, but I'll think of some more and also come back to get some ideas from others. :) I love getting new book recommendations.