Hunger Games Movie *SPOILER ALERT!*

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by mommy2boyz, Mar 9, 2012.

1. mommy2boyz

mommy2boyz This closet isn't big enough for my boots

Anyone going to see the movie? I'm on the fence. I loved the books, but I usually don't like the movies. I wasn't too crazy about the previews. How about you?

And...was I the only one who wasn't thrilled about the ending of the books? I had a few issues. 1. I was pizzed when Finnick was eaten by those creepy lizard mutts. 2. Prim should NOT have died. And, 3. I think Katniss should have ended up with Gale. I don't know why, but I just never could really get into Peeta. Was it just me?

2. tanbanan

tanbanan New Member

You're not alone on the ending of the book. . . I was a HUGE Gale fan too! I was disappointed on how there was all this build up about a big fight and she kind of fizzled all that hype into not much of a battle.

I'm taking my son to see the movie Friday morning. . . he read the books too and didn't like the 3rd book at all, but enjoyed the 1st one~ Hopefully it doesn't disappoint!

3. listgirl

listgirl listgirl

I will see the movie eventually but not sure I'll see it in the theaters.

I thought the 3rd book was a letdown too. Not because she didn't end up with Gale, because I felt like his character was never fully developed and there was just no personality there. And no chemistry with Katniss.

Mockingjay was my least favorite out of the three because I didn't feel like any of the main characters developed more. The plotline had no where to go. And I did not like the ending. Because the plot was very thin in Mockingjay, I feel that there were many spots where it dragged on and on for me. One instance is the beginning of the book, where Katniss was depressed and just moping around. Also, the part where they make it into the Capitol dragged on for me as well.

None of the main characters changed or learned anything new. I didn't like the way Prim died, and the way Katniss ended up with Peeta. There was no re-development of their friendship/love after Peeta was "hijacked". It was as if the author had to end the book abruptly, so all of a sudden the narrative just says they're together again. It's not the end result I'm interested in, it's the journey of getting there! The best thing about the ending is that Katniss, Peeta, and Haymitch basically made a scrapbook about all the dead tributes to keep their memories alive. That was a thumbs up from a scrapbooker, LOL.

4. crystalbella77

crystalbella77 Capture life and embrace it

I think I was the only one not bummed by the ending. It has been forever since I read them now so I don't totally remember it all, but I do remember not being disappointed. I never wanted her to end up with Gale, but the books weren't as much of a love story to me as they were to others I think? I was always in love with Peeta though. He was a great person and I thought he should be with Katniss. I didn't have strong feelings for Gale either way...:)

I am excited about the movie, but I have learned to take movies as their own entity and not hold them as accountable to the books. I learned that with Harry Potter. Sara got me to read them and then I went and watched the movies and was so startled by how different they are and she got me to view them on their own instead of comparing them and that helped TONS and gave me a new perspective for book/movie adaptations!

The thing about movies is that they are better at developing relationships where the books lack at times. I have read a lot of magazine articles and things about the movie and there are characters that are going to be dropped completely just for the sake of making the relationships with the main characters stronger. I am ok with that just for the sake of an enjoyable movie. :)

5. bderby

bderby No, I will not tell you what "merde" means!

I am really excited about the movie, but am definitely lowering my expectations for it. I really liked the first two books, but ended up pretty disappointed with the third. I felt like there was all this build up and then all of a sudden it was over and she tied it up with a little bow.

It will be interesting to see how they have adapted it. I am with you, Crystal, about how you have to look at books adapted into movies as separate entities or you will be sorely disappointed. The only movie I have seen recently that was a good adaptation was The Help.

6. mommy2boyz

I never thought about that way, Crystal. That makes perfect sense though. I think I will see the movie, just because I did enjoy the books so much, but I'll go into it thinking of it as being separate from the books. Maybe then it won't be such a disappointment. I like that idea! :)

And Becky, I'm reading The Help right now, I haven't seen the movie yet, because I wanted to read the book first, but I have heard good things about it from people who've read the book too.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  7. mommy2boyz

YES! This exactly! I think that's why I was so unhappy with her ending up with Peeta. The was no re-development with their relationship, but I felt like the bond that she shared with Gale after all of those years living in The Seam was something that had been developed and then was just discarded. But, even with the poorly written ending (in my opinion), I still loved the series! And yes, I loved the scrapbook idea too! I kept trying to picture what it must have looked like. :)

8. estir_bune

estir_bune No, it's snot

I liked the way the book ended... although it saddened me - this really wasn't about "happily ever after" it was about survival, even beyond the games... It's been awhile since I read it, but wasn't it Gale's technology that killed Prim? The double bomb? I think having Prim die was basically showing that all the characters were predestined for things... you can't hide from destiny. Oh don't get me wrong, I actually shed tears over Finnick & Prim.

Gale & Peeta... the revolutionist & the survivor... I think if it were me in Katniss's shoes I would have chosen Peeta too. She'd already fought her battles, now it was time to heal. With Gale, he was all about the revolution and the revolution came first - with Peeta, Katniss came first - and sometimes that is just enough.

9. kimbytx

kimbytx New Member

I can't wait to see the movie. But I agree I loved the first book best and was somewhat disappointed by the ending. My daughter is reading them now and she is excited for the movie too.

10. mrspotts

mrspotts Could I get a planner for my planner?

I read the books all last week while I was sick on the couch. I have to read books before I see the movies. My hubby and I have plans to go see the movie in the theaters. It intrigued us before I had even read the books. I know it is going to be a serious let down though so I'm prepared for that. I looked at the list of actors the other day and was not very happy with who they chose for most of them.

Now as for the books, the 3rd one was a total let down. I agree that she ended the book just to end it. I was sooooo mad when Finnick got eaten because it just wasn't part of the way I imagined his character. Prim shouldn't have died, agreed. I never liked Gale from the beginning so I wasn't rooting for him in the end. But since his bomb idea was what ultimately killed Prim, I see how that drove an unspoken wedge between him and Katniss. The other didn't need to state that for me to understand that is what happened. I'm still not 100% sure how the heck Peeta all of sudden became OK with Katniss. That is what bothers me the most. One minute he was trying to still kill her the next they are married. Blah! Even though book three was a let down I still enjoyed the series!

11. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Life is exciting, yes it is!

crystal, i'm with you! i wasn't disappointed at all. i didn't see it as a love storey nearly as much as a story about the potential extremes of humanity. i thought she SHOULD be with Peeta because he made her a better person. I was pretty sad that Prim died. And Finnick. But that didn't make me disappointed in the story overall.

12. RebeccaH

and yes, i'm DEFINITELY going to see the movie. i thought the preview looked pretty good.

13. bderby

bderby No, I will not tell you what "merde" means!

you have to let me know how you like the book and then the movie. It had been about a year since I read the book when I saw the movie and there were a few things that I thought seemed different, but overall, I definitely felt like they captured the spirit of the book in the movie and as my sisters and I said, 'it seemed like they actually were able to bring the book to life' in a movie--which as you know pretty much never happens!

14. rmcabana

rmcabana Hit me with your best shot

I can't wait to see the movie!!!! I think it looks awesome. I was just looking at some photos from it in a People magazine while I waited on the checkout line. From what I've read, it sounds like the director really cares about the story and Suzanne Collins was involved.

I am not the biggest fan of Mockingjay, but I like how it ended. I think Katniss and Peeta were both pretty damaged and found each other. It's not like it happens right away - it happens over time. I have always been Team Peeta! I never really liked Gale - I think he had a different kind of dark side than Katniss. It was ugly and even cruel.

I don't think Suzanne Collins is as bad as some writers in killing of her characters. Anyone who's read George RR Martin's Fire and Ice or watched Game of Thrones will know what I mean! And the end of Harry Potter was a bloodbath!!! JK Rowling killed off so many beloved characters over the series - I'm still mad at her!!!!

15. crystalbella77

crystalbella77 Capture life and embrace it

OMGOSH!!! GAme of thrones!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was shocked with one of the deaths in the first season! I haven't read...just watched! I cried and cried!! :(

16. listgirl

listgirl listgirl

ha ha, hijacking the tread, but my husband Todd loves George RR Martin's Fire and Ice series, he's read all the books. And we watched the first season of Game of Thrones on HBO together. Fantastic series. And yes, he has no qualms killing off beloved characters!

17. Andrea

Andrea New Member

I hear ya! I was always Team Gayle from the start! I mean, the dude ::saved:: her family! That's LOVE! I was heart broken when Finnick died, he was one of my very fav characters. Peeta is sweet, but my beef with him is how the series ended... how is he not supposed to turn over one night and just kill Katniss (since he was all tripped out by those Tracker-Jacket things that messed with his head). That did not sit well for me. I was bugged by the overall ending of the series. I think the first two books were pretty cool, and the game/board were super creative. The last book went on and on for me, I felt like it was never ending fighting.

I think the movie looks pretty awesome. I don't know if I will see the 3rd (I assume the whole series will happen) just because it was not my favorite. I'm most curious about the first book, and am looking forward to going with my hubby! We have had our tickets for several weeks and are looking forward to it. I thought the preview looked pretty true to the book and I think the actors are well cast, from all the hype I've seen about them. Hopefully this movie is as good as it has been built up to be!

18. cardinalskate

cardinalskate New Member

The Hunger Games was one of my favorite books ever. Then, for me, the series just took a nose dive. I don't think either of the following books compared to the first. The second one was alright, but the third one just made me mad. I didn't feel like it was even written by the same person! I never was concerned with who'd she'd end up with romantically, but of the two, I'd be AFRAID for her to be with Peeta. Dude's just gonna up and kill her someday!

And I've read the Fire and Ice series. I had to drag myself through them, too, because Martin kills so many people off and nothing positive EVER happens to any of the characters. It was kind of depressing, though I liked them LOL.

I couldn't agree more about keeping books and their movies separate. I think I'll really enjoy the HG movie, and am even looking forward to it. I'm a HUGE Harry Potter freak and love those books so much. But I also really enjoy the movies, because I feel like they're just kind of an extension of the books...a way for them to live a bit more. For me, the movies are generally never as good as the books, but that's alright. I realize a movie can't have everything in it.

19. RebeccaH

i've tried 3 times now to get through game of thrones. i'm bored. it's just not my thing i guess. so i've given up on this series altogether.

20. shades of bliss

shades of bliss bolʹshie koshki

1. I just finished the Hunger Games Series. I did enjoy it immensely. I totally got the Peeta thing. (other than his name. I mean how do you say that??? I think I called him Peter in my head the whole series.) I mean it seemed that Gale never REALLY needed her to breath. But it seemed like Peeta did. If I were her, I totally would have made that choice. Sad about Finnick. (But that did not bother me nearly as much as ONE of the twins dying in Harry Potter. I agree...I'm still mad at her for that!!) What I did not get about the end was this....Sector 13 was all about not wasting. It seems like the biggest waste and totally contrary to President Coin's personality to kill off all those children...not to mention medical team. Totally did not make sense to me.

2. LOVED the Help. Both the book and the movie. I did feel that the movie was different in many places but totally captured the spirit of the book none the less.

3. Read several of the Game of Throne books. I did enjoy the first book and forced myself to read the second...but I never picked up another in the series after that. Too many deaths, too much gore. I mean I get that civilians pay the heaviest price in power struggles, but I don't need to read a book to get that. Just look at Syria. I will never see the show.