so how irish are you -really- ?

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by la, Mar 17, 2012.

1. la

la A closet sap

so you know it's st patty's day.. so everyone is "irish" today. woo look at the pride in my heritage! I'm 1/64th irish! (<-- that's me making fun of some of my highschool buddies on fb :p ) I had this conversation with kidlet the other day.. bc his teacher asked the class who was irish-- and with st patricks day coming up of course eeeeveryone raised their hands.. Except my space cadet child lol. I had to explain to him, that he was indeed actually part irish-- and that most of the kiddos in his class probably were not :p He was shocked. My great grandmother came over from ireland in the early 1900's (i want to say the 20's but apparently i've totally forgotten this detail :p it may have actually been *when she was 20, and not in the 20's* my brain's gone fuzzy).

I'm also not really a big fan of st patty's day :p so im sitting at home with the kiddo, having a glass of wine and being thankful that i consider myself too old of a fart to be tagging along with the bf bar hopping in boston tonight :p

2. eryn

eryn gross no longer

well i know I have some Irish in me, and I know it's not much! That's the extent of my knowledge though! lol
    But my name (though spelt incorrectly) means Ireland so that's worth something right?? :giggle

3. ltarbox

ltarbox New Member

Yeah - I'm pretty sure I have some Irish too. And, my dad lived in Ireland for a few years back in his dounger yays. So, we claim it. BUT, we are not big celebrators either. Luckily, DH and I have an anniversary of sorts on March 17th, so we usually make a bigger deal out of that than we do St. Patrick's day. We have had a very busy day today, and I still have stuff to get done around the house before I can relax. But, it has been fun.

4. heathergw

heathergw Singing in the Neil mobile

My married last name starts with "green", does that count? LOL

I have no Irish blood in me, nor my hubby... and we don't really do St. Patty's day, tho, I thought about doing some fun pranks with the kids today... but never did.

5. Angie4b1g

Angie4b1g A hundred jobs but Bob Villa ain't one

Well my father was adopted so I'm not sure on his side, but my maternal grandfather was 100%, so I'm at least 25%.

But 100% in my heart. :giggle

6. mommatrish

mommatrish mommatrish

Not a bit.
    Scottish and Russian here.
    ((and no... the scottish part does not make it close enough. :P lol))

7. Karah

Karah Karah

None here, although my kids are a bit from my DH's side. But my boys & dh are out of town this weekend so it's just me & my girl and we had her birthday party here today so we're just vegging tonight. No St. Patty's day festivities for us this year. :)

8. carolee

carolee Humming along in the Neil mobile

I have none, but my FIL was born in Ireland so DH and the kids are plenty Irish.

9. yellowpeep

yellowpeep Spaaaarrrrrkkkleeeee

Yep, Irish but also Spanish. My great-grandfather was Francisco Romero Garcia de la Sierra and he married Molly Murphy. :)

10. scrapsandsass

scrapsandsass Oh Ricky you're so fine ...

I have some Irish, but I am a total mutt. When I was younger, people didn't think I was from here because I was so incredibly pale. I am French, English, Irish, Dutch, German, Scottish and Native American. But I'm not sure of the percentages other than the Native American part because my mom was adopted. But she did some digging and discovered her biological grandmother was full Native American. I also don't really know much about my bio dad's heritage other than some of the mix (he gave me up for adoption).

11. scrapsandsass

scrapsandsass Oh Ricky you're so fine ...

So cool that you know that! I wish we had cool family info.

12. 4noisyboys

4noisyboys Being a Grandma is the best!

My birth mother was born in Ireland, but it was Northern Ireland...so not sure if that's really considered Ireland. Her father was from Latvia, and her mom is from Scotland and Ireland. My family names are actually more Scottish (Cochran and Cargill).

I don't party on St. Patty's Day or do anything really other than have corned beef, cabbage, pototoes and Irish Soda bread....everything was from Trader Joes and I have to say it was super yummy!!!

13. scrapweaver

scrapweaver New Member

My daughter was born on St Patrick's Day - does that count?? lol
    (And of course the hospital had to be across the road from an Irish pub - so NO-WHERE to park . . my sister found some paid parking spaces and I was yelling "I'm not paying for parking, I'M HAVING A BABY!!!" hahahaha!)

14. Lizzy257

Lizzy257 Member

100% Irish, that's me :giggle. We don't do nearly as much as you guys to celebrate the day though!

I have a question though, why do you guys call it St. Patty's? I think I must be missing something, lol

15. mrsski07

mrsski07 Hot for Harlequin

I have some Irish in me, but not sure how much. My brothers both have red hair, freckles and pale skin - if that proves anything ;-) I have the freckles, but not the red hair, and I'm not as fair skinned.

Side note - you're in the Boston area? I'm from MA (western MA) and went to school in Boston - love it there!!

16. Kate

Kate The Doctor's new companion

I was going to ask the same thing! :giggle I always thought the shortened form of Patrick is Paddy, rather than Patty!

I have English, Welsh and Scottish ancestors, no Irish here either!

17. mommatrish

mommatrish mommatrish

:lol
    I will point out Zach and I both have red hair and freckles, so does my mom and aunt. Mind you mine is a different red than theirs. Apparently I'm a carbon copy of my great grandmother's sister... who was born in Russia.

I know here the older people shorten Patrick to Paddy. Most people I knew growing up with the name Patrick never shortened it at all. (And I actually knew a lot of Patricks. :lol)

Patty, as far as I know, is shortened for Patricia. I know as a Patricia that people were always trying to call me Pat or Patty.

18. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

I have absolutely no idea if I have Irish in me or not. Never got into St. Patrick's Day!

19. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

Not sure if I have any Irish or not either. I'm mostly German on both sides, but there are splashes of a bunch of different nationalities going back on my mom's side. I just don't know what they are. :)

Other than wearing a bit of green (DD wore ALL green this year LOL), we don't do anything to celebrate the day.

20. cardinalskate

cardinalskate New Member

I have no idea if I have any Irish in me. My best friend is Irish and lives in the Dublin area, though, so she always tells me I'm honorary Irish. :moo