teenage daughters and headaches

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by crazygirl, Jan 3, 2012.

1. crazygirl

crazygirl Opening a post office

my 15.5 year old teenage daughter constantly complains of headaches. nearly every day. and has been for at least the last 2 years. at first, (and still kind of think) they are just tension/stress headaches, she's involved in a lot of extracurricular activities and pressures herself about her homework. but i assume some headaches are caused probably she isn't the healthiest person out there. not eating right, not drinking enough water (although she swears she does) and certainly NOT getting enough sleep. i know that these are all factors. i just found out today that she is taking 2 ibuprofen for her headaches about every other day. that bugs me, i'm taking the pain pills into my room so she'll have to ask me for them. but how can i help her with the headaches? she is so stinkin stubborn! or should i be worried that this is something more? both my brother and sister have had brain tumors....i know these probably aren't, but please tell me this is normal teenage thing....hormones, stress, unhealthy habits. oy.

2. Dana

Dana Dana

i am plagued by headaches ... i know mine come from a variety of reasons, including everything you mentioned above. also - does she wear glasses? headaches where one of the things that triggered my parents into thinking i needed glasses when i was young (i was three when i got my first pair!). the computer is no good for headaches either - both from an eye strain aspect and b/c of stress on your neck/shoulders. i go to a chiropractor for that and it helps my headaches IMMENSELY! i had to see a couple of different chiros before i found one that knew what they were doing w/r/t my headaches - but they are lifesavers ... they do Active Release Technique® and it is very, very helpful for me!

hoping it is just little things like that jacque!

3. mishou

mishou mishou

Dana mentioned a lot of the first things that came to my mind too. Like possibly needing glasses or too much computer time. (I get eye strain headaches almost every day!) Could very well be hormones or growing pain type stuff too. All of the stuff you mentioned about her definitely sounds like it could cause frequent headaches!

Has she ever described the headaches to you or mentioned any patterns she's noticed? Is it a dull pain? Sharp? Where is the pain? On one side only? Or in front? Does it throb? Does the pain move or stay exactly in the same place every time? Are there any other symptoms with the headaches? Based on those types of answers there are a lot of websites that could help you figure out what kind of headache it is.

I think it would probably be obvious if it was migraines (she'd have other symptoms as well and the headaches would be so bad you would know something's wrong) but there's always that possibility too. I think it's common for migraines to start in teenage years. I was 18 when mine started.

One of the things that alerted me to my food sensitivities/allergies was an increase in frequent headaches/migraines. Does your family have a history of allergies at all? Could it be that she's become sensitive to something she's eating?

i hope you can figure it out! headaches are no fun!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  4. shaynesgirl

shaynesgirl All I need is a pink Corvette!

Does she have allergies/sinus problems? I had horrible headaches all thru teenage and early adult years...exacerbated by all the items you listed above. Ultimately they did a sinus scan and I had a blockage and sinus swelling was making it worse.

Have you had her examined by a doc or neurologist? If the headaches are bad enough that she has that kind of need for pain relievers it may be that she needs beta blockers or something else. If nothing else it would put both your minds at ease to know the cause.

5. Heather Prins

Heather Prins Heather Prins

I think a good doctor's visit in order first then try the other things. Its been my experience that when they are told to do something good for them by anyone but their parents they listen a bit better :) So tell your concerns to the Dr. first

6. crazygirl

thanks gals.
    i knew i could come for help here too!
    we'll have to schedule a docs visit soon.
    she's never needed glasses, but maybe i should do a check there.
    she's on the computer some, but not much and certainly not daily.

7. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

My sister used to have a ton of headaches when she was a teenager too. She wasn't really the stressed out type of person. My Mom asked a Dr. about it and he said it was normal and suggested to gently rub her temples to do something with a pressure point. I'm not sure if my sister ever actually did it, but I do know that they eventually went away. I also thought about glasses and drinking more water and the chiro! I hope you can find an easy fix to get rid of her headaches!

8. Patti

Patti CT4Val, Heather, Sabrina

I agree a trip to the doctor would be a good start! I suffer from headaches and have found since I started going for a massage regularly, it has helped. Friends have recommended chiropractor is also helpful but I've never gone! I'd def say more water. How much sleep is she getting a night?
    Good luck, I know it is worrisome when our kiddos are going through these types of things.
    Hugs!:)

9. cherryberry

cherryberry Hottie Patottie!

I started getting massive headaches when I was a teenager and I still get them. I know that they are the worst during my menstrual cycle and so I take those pills where I only get my period a couple times a year. Headaches seem hard for the doctors to figure out. I finally got frustrated and have stopped asking the doctors. I do find Excedrin Headache to be the best medication to take to get rid of the headache fast. I just take one extra strength and I'm usually good for the rest of the day. One more thought - if your daughter wakes up with headaches, sleep apnea or teeth grinding may be the culprit. Getting her eyes checked is a good one too. Best of luck in helping your DD!

10. crazygirl

She does have TMJ. But wears a mouth guard. Headaches only seem to appear after school or after basketball practice. But maybe cuz that's only when I see her? They easy cold be going on all day. But I've never heard her complain in the mornings.

11. nativescrapper

nativescrapper nativescrapper

I agree with checking with the Dr too. I suffered from headaches (like everyday). I started getting fed up with the doctors too, they didnt know what to do with me. One day Dh was going to the Chiropractor he got his back adjusted. I made a appt with the doctor and he did a referal to the Chiropractor. Got my back adjusted and BINGO...my headaches went away. He told me that the things I do made y back a little out and that gave me headaches. Now I dont get headaches at all. Might want to check into that too. :)

12. mommy2boyz

mommy2boyz This closet isn't big enough for my boots

It's most likely caused by stress, Jacque. The teen years are tremendously stressful. But, if you're worried it could be more, take her to see her pediatrician, and get it evaluated. Perhaps he can offer some help and it will set your mind at ease as well. Prayers that you find an answer soon.

13. kimbytx

kimbytx New Member

I have always had headaches, sometimes migraines. Mine can be triggered by allergens/sinus issues(cedar is killing us here now and mold gives me headaches too), stress, hormones, etc. Even certain foods can do it especially things like hot dogs with nitrates in them. I would get her eyes checked too.

Sometimes a hot pack for 20 minutes or so or an ice pack while laying down will help even without the meds...Good idea to have her checked out though.

14. crazygirl

thanks girls.
    i've talked to her quite a bit about it.
    and she is willing to try working on her diet/ water intake etc.
    and getting to bed at a decent hour.
    i forgot she had her eyes checked this fall. 20/20 vision for that girl.
    i got her a nice cold/hot pack and talked to her a bit about laying down and trying to relax before
    she starts popping those dang pain pills.
    thanks for all your advice, the past 2 days have already been much better!

15. scrapsandsass

scrapsandsass Oh Ricky you're so fine ...

I used to have headaches almost daily as a teenager, and then migraines as a young adult and still headaches occasionally now. I think that everything you mentioned can contribute to them. I can't say enough about relaxation techniques and even acupuncture (which really doesn't hurt and is amazing). When I had migraines all of the time, relaxation and deep breathing were the only things that would get rid of them. My daughter started having migraines when she was about 8, and the doctor wanted to put her on crazy meds that had weird/awful side effects as a preventive measure. Instead, I started using the relaxation stuff on her (kind of walking her through a guided version) and it worked like a charm.

Hopefully your daughter will get better soon and will start taking care of herself and listening to her smart mama. :D