Pad Patter 12/29: Skin Care

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by lmccandless, Dec 29, 2011.

1. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

After many years of using Bare Minerals skin care, I am switching things up for 2012. Since I have a...ahem...big birthday just a few years away, I know I need to get better about using a retinol and some stronger products. So, tell me what do you use for skin care products? How happy are you with them?

2. charmedeebob

charmedeebob Heather's Team

I have to throw a vote in for the Mary Kay skin care, I love it. I have been using it since the 1990's and it has been awesome for my skin. Alas, I will have to start using more of the "age defying" products soon instead of just the regular and SPF ones ;) But it feels super natural and keeps my skin really blemish free and moisturized. :) I don't wear makeup often, but when I do, I use theirs too.

3. cherryberry

cherryberry Hottie Patottie!

I'll be watching this thread. That big birthday is a bit closer for me. LOL

4. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Life is exciting, yes it is!

i am clueless and no help at all on this topic.

5. rmcabana

rmcabana Hit me with your best shot

I don't wear make up. I have compact that I rarely use - I can't even remember where it's from now! I was my face with Neutrogena, since that's the only thing that keeps the blemishes away, and I like Alba Botnaica's facial moisturizer, especially now that winter dries my skin out. I'm pretty hopeless too!

6. simply-j-studio

simply-j-studio Member

I love Bare Escentuals... it's pretty much all I use. I do have some cleansers and moisturizers from Avon that I really like, but for makeup I'm pretty much BE.

7. 4noisyboys

4noisyboys Being a Grandma is the best!

My even bigger birthday has come and gone. I am now using products from Channel. I've tried them all, and the one that makes my skin feel and look the best is by Channel. I use the Sublimage line...I use the lotion, not the cream though. My skin is still slightly oily...especially in the summer time. I did get a sample of the cream for the winter and I'm going to see if they'll give me another. I don't want to buy the whole jar because I won't use it all...I only need it in the colder months, and it's near $400 a jar. I need some of the eye cream (which is about $200), so they'll probably give me a sample if I buy that. I kid you not...the stuff is amazing and I've seen amazing results on friends that use it everyday. I see a difference in my skin too, and I have friends that come into my work (these ladies are my age...I've known them for about 12 years) and they all comment on my skin. I wish I'd started years ago with it.

For face wash, I use Philosophy Purity every evening, and Philosophy Microdelivery exfolliating wash every morning. I keep a big bottle of one on my bathroom counter, and the other is in my shower for the morning.

My favorite scrub is The Microdelivery Peel (2 step) by Philosophy. My skin feels so amazing afterwards. I use it about once every few weeks and have used it for years. I should use it once a week.

I also drink a LOT of water. I don't drink soda at all...just water, and lots and lots of it! I keep my face out of the sun if I can and always wear sunscreen too.

So that's it. I think my skin looks really good for being 50. I'll keep up with what I'm doing and hopefully it will still look pretty good in 10 years!

8. 4noisyboys

Laura...if you want to really be cutting edge and use some of these advanced line products...there is a counter at a few bigger Nordstrom stores that sell some. They'll do amazing things for your skin..but they are pretty radical to me. I don't want my skin to look transluscent. You really have to stay OUT of the sun too...like forever!

9. Angie4b1g

Angie4b1g A hundred jobs but Bob Villa ain't one

I use Proactiv. LOL

Although, I did get the Philosophy acne system that I'm trying now. But it hasn't been long enough for me to render my opinion.

I shouldn't have to have wrinkles and zits at the same time. :rollingpin

10. mommatrish

mommatrish mommatrish

I use Clinique, so does my mom.

My grandmother swears by Oil of Olay, but I'm allergic to that.

11. Patti

Patti CT4Val, Heather, Sabrina

I'm over the big 40! Guess I should start thinking about something, eh?

12. emmasmom

emmasmom emmasmom

Well...I am 34 but have been using Hope in a Jar for years...since Jack was born, I have to use Miracle Worker at night now (these are both by Philosophy). 2 years of no sleep has AGED me! I really love Philosophy, everything is clean and light and I have super sensitive acne prone skin and I've never had an issue with these. So where are we going for the big birthday bash :wink

13. Leah

Leah Member

I've been using Aveeno for a long time, but feel like it's time for a change. I'm going to watch this thread for some ideas!

14. Dana

Dana Dana

i need help too ... when i lived in france i used darphin products all the time and really liked them, but they have gone up in price since i lived there and are even more expensive in the US - so i stopped that. so since then i've just used whatever i felt like at the moment - from grocery store brands to expensive brands from the dermatologist. nothing i used blew me away, to be honest. i did start cleaning my face using the "oil method" last month - i am using a 1/2 & 1/2 mixture of castor oil and olive oil to wash my face and so far it working well (google it to get more info - LOL - i know it sounds gross but it's not, really!) and i want to start adding some essential oils to that - i printed out some oils that are good for aging skin the other week (i turned 40 last year - boo!! i look pretty young, but i think that's b/c i'm chubby LOL!) ... and i desperately need new makeup ... especially now that it's winter and i'm not tan ... help! i need a makeover!

15. 4noisyboys

Funny you should mention that Dana, but I think staying chubby has certainly helped my skin from getting all wrinkly. Some of my 50 year old friends are thin (one is a size zero) but her face looks old. I'm not sure which is worse! I still want to lose weight but I want to stop when my face starts to show it too much.

16. carolee

carolee Humming along in the Neil mobile

I've used Mario Bedescu stuff for my face the last couple of years. I got a rec from a friend and I like their stuff! http://www.mariobadescu.com/

I use Philosophy stuff in the shower and love it - their body washes smell so good and I like their microdelivery exfoliating wash.

17. Amy Wolff

Amy Wolff Amy Wolff

I'm always trying new skin stuff. Two of my faves have been the Natural Advantage line and anything by Philosophy. I don't think my skin has ever looked as good as when I was using Natural Advantage (I get acne even now at 38), but my skin is very seasonal and gets weird during the spring and fall when the weather changes. Hence why I'm always changing things up. I also recommend trying coconut oil from the health food store (or I've seen it at walmart), it has to be cold pressed and not processed. It's solid at room temperature but liquefies when warm (and when rubbing into the skin). I use it at night because it's a bit oily, but my skin is less oily now that I've been using it on a regular basis. It's a good cheap alternative, but I alternate it with other skin care stuff.

18. lmccandless

lmccandless The Force is strong with this one. Boss of the Applesauce

I decided to go with the Philosophy line. Sephora had a 3 piece set that I liked. I still want to get some different eye cream though. I think I am going to take Debra's suggestion and go try out some luxury lines at Nordstrom once the kids are back in school. Carolee, I've always like Mario Badescu, so I think I will check that line at Nordy's too.

I seem to remember that someone here had some chemical peels done. Maybe it was Jacque? I might ask for those for my birthday. Skin care is on my New Year's resolutions list. Can you tell? LOL

I have to say I am thankful that I've always stayed out of the sun and been pretty careful with my skin.

19. emmasmom

emmasmom emmasmom

My dermatologist said that people who are just slightly overweight (like myself....cough...cough) look younger and believe it or not healthier then people with very little body fat...so hey, there's one plus! :giggle

20. RachelYoung

RachelYoung RachelYoung

I found DHC Skincare from an aesthetician friend and my skin keeps getting better and better. I LOVE their deep cleansing oil. So much. :)