Pad Patter 12/16: When gifts go bad

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by rmcabana, Dec 16, 2011.

1. rmcabana

rmcabana Hit me with your best shot

I know it's the thought that counts, but sometimes you open a gift and well, you just have to pretend to smile.

Tell us about those bad gifts you've received for the holiday or even your birthday? Do you regift, return or hide it in the back of your closet???

Anyone ever have to try on a pink bunny suit like Ralphie in A Christmas Story? :)

2. Micheline Martin

Micheline Martin New Member

hmm let me think my worst Christmas Gift ever was from my mil she gave me an ice scraper mit thing a) I don't drive and b) we have an ice scrapper already LOL!

The worst gift I have ever seen in my life was when my mil gave my fil Hair Growth solution in front of everyone Christmas Morning (can I mention he still has a head full of hair) or when she gave him electric nose hair clippers LMFAO!

3. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Life is exciting, yes it is!

gah! electric nose hair clippers!! :rofl

most of my really bad christmas gifts have come from my grandmother... like a hot pink and white COW print (yes, COW, moo) turtleneck sweater! um, really? God love her, she was SO proud of herself for 'knowing what Rebecca likes' so I just went with it. Let's just say I never wore that guy after trying it on for her Christmas day.

I just donated that guy. I figured either (A) someone might like it or (B) someone could use it to make something else, like a hat or gloves or slippers?? maybe???

4. stampin_rachel

stampin_rachel The Lost Spice Girl

When we were married for only a few years, my husband bought me a guitar and a lamp (for seasonal depression) for Christmas. First off, i have never played a musical instrument in my life....He said that he heard me say one time that I would like to learn to play the guitar (I don't quite remember it that way) - and the light - could he get any less romantic?? Since then we have learned to just buy ourselves what we want for Christmas.

5. rmcabana

rmcabana Hit me with your best shot

Oh man, those are pretty bad!!!! Mostly, my family means well, but they just don't get me, so I open a lot of gifts and pretend to be surprised LOL!
    My mom once gave me a plaid shirt in a mint green and said with beaming eyes that she thought of me when she saw that color. I never wear mint green and I haven't worn plaid since the early 90s! I told her it didn't fit right so I could exchange it. I felt terrible because she looked so happy giving it to me! LOL!
    My sister-in-law got me The Beatles edition of trivial pursuit a few years ago and it's still sitting in the back of my closet. I love the Beatles and I'm a big nerd, but I don't know anyone else who wants to play!
    Every year I tell my family I don't want anything, but if they really want to give me something, I welcome cash donations toward my next technical purchase - a camera lens, new computer, etc., which will benefit them, since I give them scrapbooks. LOL! Maybe this year!

6. purpleplasticpurse

purpleplasticpurse purpleplasticpurse

dh gave me a snuggie.. well it was for my bday last year but that's pretty close to christmas, so it counts... i was like, SERIOUSLY???

7. melrio

melrio I will hunt you!

PJs that my mother bought me one year. Ah, I'm like a bit too old for jammies! But the funniest gift ever was when my 85 y/o grandmother bought DH a bath wrap that was too small. We still laugh about it today! LOL

8. mlewis

mlewis mlewis

Hmmm, my cousin gave us an egg cooker for Christmas. I am fairly certain they were re-gifting. ;)

9. scrapsandsass

scrapsandsass Oh Ricky you're so fine ...

Sounds like my DH. He got me an electric blanket (lap sized) for my 40th b-day. Huh? His other stand-by gift is to tell me that he's giving me a massage at a spa...but he doesn't actually give me a gift certificate. And our first Xmas together he got me a cordless drill. Our second xmas together, he put a ring in my stocking. Apparently he was unaware that you don't give a ring to someone if that someone is wanting you to propose and you weren't planning to... And it was a diamond anniversary ring to top it off. I had to go hide to call my family and warn them (before they came over and saw it and assumed) that it wasn't an engagement ring. Lol. This year, my DD instructed him to get me the silhouette cameo, so at least this one will be good. He is sweet, but not gift-inclined, and he never even asks what I might want. So it is always a big crazy surprise. Gotta love him.

10. cherryberry

cherryberry Hottie Patottie!

I can't actually think of a really bad gift. Maybe because I don't get them. My husband just says "go buy something" every once in awhile.

11. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

When I was 8 or 9, my grandparents bought me a plastic bat and ball set. Maybe they were trying to tell me that I was chubby and needed to get outside... ?! :giggle

My mom can be really hit or miss, but her love language is gifts, so I always pretend that I like what she gets even if I don't. She got me a personalized scrapbook sweatshirt in college (like it had my name in puffy paint down one of the sleeves!) that was pretty hellaciously hilarious. Mostly she picks out sweaters and pajamas that would be great if I was an 80 year old schoolmarm from the 1880s, so I tell her they are great, quietly stick the receipt in my pocket, and exchange, exchange, exchange when I get home!

12. mishou

mishou mishou

:giggle too funny!

if I tell my boyfriend that I like something, he keeps buying it over and over. I bought a pair of sweatpants at Roots once and mentioned "these are my favourite pants ever" one day . . . well now I have 3 pairs of the exact same sweatpants. Twice (on different holidays) he gifted me the identical pants that I already owned. He didn't even dare get them in a different colour. In his head he's thinking "well, she liked them before so she'll like them again. . .. and again . . ."

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  13. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I've got 2 DVD's sitting on my desk from last christmas - don't watch dvd's at all really and even if I did these two are not my type at all

14. karen perry

karen perry LOCK THE DOOR!

My mil is exactly the same she buys it every year after same with her food when ya eat there lol