Do you start with the kit/supplies or the photo/s?

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by AlliJ2008, Jul 9, 2011.

1. AlliJ2008

AlliJ2008 Downsizing!

I am stuck. I have a bunch of photos & ideas floating around but I can't decide where to start for a new LO.

Do you usually start with the photo then build your page or do you start building your page then add the photos?

I want to do a photoless page but I usually start with my photo as the first thing on my page so I am finding it a struggle. :dizzy

2. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Life is exciting, yes it is!

it usually depends for me. most of the time though my layouts are driven by the products. i think that's mostly because i'm alwayd doing CT layouts.

3. renee82

renee82 renee82

I'm the same as Rebecca. I usually have a kit and then find a photo for it... if I wasn't on CT's then I probably would do the opposite. :)

4. Cristina

Cristina Handmade with love, actually

I start with papers, then put the photos, and by that point I usually feel I am done :giggle so I never add that many elements. Papers are probably my faves. And I add alpha and journaling, of course. As for how to pick the kit, it usually is CT driven like Rebecca says, although unless it is a very themed kit I usually manage to scrap the photos I want.

5. gracielou

gracielou Well-Known Member

Same for me. I usually have the idea, in my head, of what photos I will be using but I tend to scrap my whole page design then add in the photos.

6. Beckie

Beckie Active Member

Having to scrap specific kits when I was on multiple CTs was very stressful for me, I found that I didn't love scrapping as much! Now, most of my pages are just for me - so I always start with the photos that inspire me at the moment and build the page around them. In fact, most of the time my pages consist of stuff from lots of kits because I like to build the entire page around my pics! (I use the windows search feature to find things by color "red", "yellow", etc, or I also search by element "ribbon", "tag", etc.

Alli for your photoless page, do you have an idea for the theme? If so, it would probably be easiest to find a kit that complements the theme/topic of your layout so that you can take inspiration for the page from the embellies and papers.

Hope that helps!!

7. nativescrapper

nativescrapper nativescrapper

I tend to go back and forth :) somedays I want to use a paper that I have never used and challenge myself to use it. Then other times I pull a photo first :) I just go with what I feel when at the comp :)

8. nativescrapper

nativescrapper nativescrapper

I had the same problems awhile back. So i did the layout with the photo and the journaling, as soon at I got the journaling on the page just like I wanted it I deleted the photo. Just have to tweek the elements and I called it done :)
    I have some layouts here on my comp that are just my journaling and never posted but that is what I usually do :) Hope that helps.

9. Arumrose

Arumrose Filling up my passport!

I usually make LO for CT use so I start to open a kit and choose the template I will use for a start. Then I browse the papers and choose all those I love and then I make my choice looking at the photos I have. After I put elements, title, journaling and that's it !

10. Sara

Sara Riding in the Neil mobile

My scrapping used to be more product driven and so while the photos and story were always an emphasis, they weren't always the *primary* driving force for my creative process. My page building was product centered. Now, I almost always begin with the story in mind (which often means I have a photo in mind) and I build the page from there.

Yay for brancing out and trying your hand at going photoless!! I used to be SO intimidated by photo-less scrapping...and now I'm completely in love with it. I wrote a blog post about scrapping photoless...maybe it will help jumpstart some photoless mojo for you? http://plantyourstory.com/to-photo-or-not-to-photo/

11. MelissaL88

MelissaL88 foot stomping tantrum thrower

Ooh...I love photoless LO's! I've done several and want to do some more in the future. Thanks for the blog post link, Sara! I remember seeing that before, but forgot to bookmark it. And alas, couldn't remember where I saw it (insert sheepish smile here :) )

I'm very much like Sara, when I was on CT's it was always product driven. Now that I'm "taking a break," I am able to use the photos that inspire me and whatever products I feel like.

12. crystalbella77

crystalbella77 Capture life and embrace it

I always start with a story in mind...even if I don't have photos...and then find a CT product that fits. :) Once I have selected the product I get my photos picked and edited and build my page around the photo. :)

13. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

Usually I start with photos and pick the kit, but there has been a time or two (or twenty) where I fall in love with a kit and have to see if I can find photos to fit!

Almost everything I scrap ends up in my printed book for the year, so I keep it real in that I scrap something that I want to, rather than something I might do just because of a CT commitment.

14. groenhop

groenhop Takes advice from 3 year olds.

I start by making a square or whatever shape where my photo will go (if using one) and build around it.

15. AlliJ2008

AlliJ2008 Downsizing!

I left you some blog love too....your layouts are simply amazing!!! I am super inspired from reading your post. Thanks for sharing that link!!!

16. aly321

aly321 aly321

I am back and forth. Depends if I have a specific photo I want done, or want to use a specific kit. And I think with time, I go back and forth as well. :)

17. sillescrapper

sillescrapper New Member

Since I am not CT'ing anymore, I always start with the photo(s). Typically if I come home from a fun event I will download the images and immediately scrap a page. If I don't have a fresh event then I browse my images- I am trying to keep up yearly so I go into a month that I haven't scrapped much. I file my images by year, then month, then event so it is easy to browse for something fun to scrap.

When I CT'ed I would start with the kit and then find images to go with it.

18. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I always start with the kit first.

I place all my elements first. Without trying, I've usually left space for a couple photos, so then I go find some, pretty them up in LR or PS, and then put them on the page. I do journaling (most of the time), and then papers are always last. The designers make such pretty papers, but I never know what to do with them, so there's usually just one background paper and I use brushes/scatters/splatters as mats for my elements and photos and journaling.

I am a weirdy. :)