Scrapping slump

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by tjscraps, May 31, 2023.

1. tjscraps

tjscraps Tomorrow I'll do what I want to do

How do you get over scrapping slumps? I scrapped so much when I was a guest polly, I felt so creative and loved all the pages ... and I think in the month since my guest stint ended I've scrapped maybe 3 pages total lol Work has been rough this past month too - my busy season, so I finally feel like I'm on the other side of it and wanting to get back into it but just stare at a blank canvas.

Any suggestions?

2. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar

Look through photos see if any jump out to you
    Search galleries and pins for inspiration
    Tell a story .. what's going knin your life? Funny story? Something serious?

3. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I also love the galleries, I see something and it sparks my playfulness.
    Maybe play along with the challenges?

4. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

NBK Design has been posting tips on getting through a scrapbooking slump on her Facebook Page.

5. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

@tjscraps, glad I’m not the only one in that situation. Like you, I scrapped up a storm during my Polly spot and am all scrapped out at the moment.

tjscraps likes this.
  6. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I always kind of feel like that after MOC too... I'm SO inspired and scrap up a storm during January and then I need a bit of a break myself. Once I want to get back into scrapping, I find that organizing my photos usually tends to help me think of new page ideas. If that doesn't help, I love to look through the recent releases in the store to see if a new kit sparks my mojo. And the gallery always is an awesome place for inspiration too. Usually I don't try to force it though if I'm not feeling it. It'll come back when it's ready. :agree

tjscraps likes this.
  7. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I'm not really in a slump, I just don't feel like scrapping right now. I have a sore wrist and all the mouse movement makes it hurt worse. So I'm in a phase of find something else to occupy my time (reading).

This is not the first time I've had this happen and I have found that when I do get back to scrapping I enjoy it a lot more than if I force myself to do it when I'm not feeling it. More creative as well. I do keep a list of stuff that I want to scrap in excel so when I start up again, I look at it and see what sparks an interest.

8. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I think it's almost a given, and you have to allow yourself that decompression of go, go, go. I'd attack the challenges!

tjscraps and Angela Toucan like this.
  9. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

You could say I've been in a scrapping slump too, but I say I've just been really busy. I always come back to it eventually. There is so much inspiration here in the forum. Sometimes I just pick a challenge and do it, or just pick any of my recent photos.

tjscraps likes this.
  10. tiffany scraps

tiffany scraps still plays outside

1. Make it a goal to complete as many of the challenges as you can every month. Both the monthly challenges and the designer challenges. 2. Try to join some designers CTs and then you have deadlines to create pages with their products.

tjscraps likes this.
  11. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

Summer does this to me every time! We just have so much more going on during the summer and I have more downtime during the school year. I honestly just embrace it... make memories, keep good notes and scrap when I can.

tjscraps and tiffany scraps like this.
  12. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I forgot to add the thing I believe got me out of the longest scrapping slump ever. It was a few years long! I was focusing on learning photography and business at the time. When that interest was beginning to wane and I was determined to get back into scrapping regularly, I declared that one day a week was scrapping day. It was on my schedule, so I did it!

tjscraps and tiffany scraps like this.
  13. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

So many great ideas here! It’s always nice to know I’m not the only one who has scrapping slumps. Template challenges help me get scrapping the fastest because the page is already laid out for me.

tjscraps likes this.
  14. tanteva

tanteva Even the professionals are bewildered

I usually go to any forum where I'm not active on a team and make a challenge there. I might even not post it there, just "steal" the inspiration. I feel it's easier & I don't feel the pressure as much.

One forum has this challenge where you only can use "old" kits, and that also takes the pressure off me. I dig up a kit from 2010ish, it's great fun. Using old designs is like meeting old friends again.

Also: song lyrics is a great place to look for inspiration.

tjscraps and littlekiwi like this.
  15. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Love the idea of using old kits as a challenge @tanteva - I might “steal” that idea cause god knows I have enough old/unused kits to last me a lifetime!

tjscraps and tanteva like this.
  16. tjscraps

tjscraps Tomorrow I'll do what I want to do

Thanks everyone, some great ideas here. I will try not to force it!! Maybe just taking more pics will get me into it - I haven't taken many photos even this month.

Karen likes this.