Eyelashes| Pad Patter May 26

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by jam-on-toast, May 26, 2023.

1. jam-on-toast

jam-on-toast Well-Known Member

The other day I ran out of mascara and went to the shop to buy a new one. I used to wear make up every day, but with Covid isolation, face masks and working from home my morning rituals have changed. There seemed little point in spending time applying eyeshadows and blush when no one would see it on their computer screen anyway. And once I stopped, I can’t seem to get back into the habit of using make up. The only thing I do use every day is mascara.

Anyway, here I am at a shop trying to buy mascara. And it almost feels like mission impossible. We live in Jakarta and apparently women here don’t buy mascara, they buy eyelashes. Rows and rows of fake eyelashes are sold here… different brands… different colors… different sizes... Curled… straight… ultra long… you think of it - they got it. You haven’t thought of it - they got it too. I was absolutely flabbergasted. Speechless. Lost for words. And still looking for what I came here to buy.

I did, eventually, and that made me wonder… have you ever tried false eye lashes?

umyesh likes this.
  2. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

No false eyelashes for me. It would annoy me as my eyes are so sensitive. Since I retired 10 years ago and also with COVID I rarely use makeup.. if I go out to dinner or out with friends etc., I do, but in general I don't do this daily. I find now even wearing mascara annoys my eyes. I just bought 2 new mascaras but have not opened them yet. I figure when I do put makeup on, I do it for me anyway, so that is where I am at :) Hugs my friend!

jam-on-toast likes this.
  3. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

no, never tried false eye lashes. I'm not a make-up person either. I only ever wore it on stage, for special occasions and business presentations/interviews. I don't own any anymore, so next special occasion I will be bare faced.

jam-on-toast likes this.
  4. jam-on-toast

jam-on-toast Well-Known Member

On stage? tell me more!!! :)

5. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

I did a lot of amateur dramatics in my teens and early 20s.

6. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I did have eyelash extensions for a while. Not being able to get them wet was silly though. I didn't have the extra time needed to dry them every day.

7. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

I won free eyelash extensions when my second child was a baby. I thought it was fun to experience the process and enjoyed having nice eyelashes for awhile but I don’t care about wearing makeup so it was just a one time thing.

8. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

I am going to a crafty slumber party in July and one of things we are trying is false eye lashes. I am excited!! One of the hosts wears them all the time, so she is helping us with them.

jk703 and cfile like this.
  9. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Nope, never tried them. But then I haven't worn mascara in forever. Had to stop because I was always rubbing my eyes because they itched from allergies. Yeah, I stopped with the eye shadow as well. I did wear eye makeup one time a year ago for the church membership directory photo. Took it off after 2 hours since it bugged me. The other thing is my eyesight. As it has gotten progressively worse, I found that I can't see well enough without them to even put on the makeup.

10. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Take photos so you can scrap them :)

BevG likes this.
  11. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

I tried them once years and years ago and they really irritated my eyes. Perhaps the “technology” has evolved. I see so many women basketball players using them. I can’t imagine; they must have really sturdy adhesive.

Last edited: May 26, 2023
  12. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

I think it's a fun look, but I'm also in the sensitive eye category and I don't think I could handle it. I wore light makeup regularly in my teens and twenties, but then it went to special occasions only, and then not at all for the last several years. I would probably go to the effort to buy/wear makeup again if I had a formal occasion, but even then, I don't see doing lashes.

13. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

I used to wear lashes for special events/occasions, but like you- I don't wear even a full face of makeup much anymore. I do ALWAYS wear mascara though. I also have been using lashboost for a few years and my natural lashes are now super long & a lot thicker than they were before.

14. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

Never wore much make-up and I can't remember the last time I even wore mascara. My eyes are sensitive and make-up used to make my skin itch.

15. scribler

scribler Blanket? Check! Slippers? Check! Sweater? Che

I’ve never tried false eyelashes. I haven’t worn any makeup in years.

16. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

I never have used fake eyelashes. I can always tell when someone is wearing them. I just like the more natural look.

cfile likes this.
  17. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I only wore them once and they looked great...until one started falling off and hanging down on the side of my eye. We were at an office Xmas party. How embarrassing. I never wore them again.

18. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I really think they look great on some unless they are overdone, but I've never tried them myself. I've always had long lashes and mascara was enough, but they do seem to be thinning a little with age and I've thought about maybe giving them a try. I'm not sure I have the patience to do them, though :giggle

19. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I've never tried them....never really had a desire to.

20. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I've never tried fake eyelashes and now my close up eye sight is so bad that there's no way I'd get them on straight! :giggle