Fun in the Sun | Pad Patter 5.25.23

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by umyesh, May 25, 2023.

1. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

Hey hey it’s the end of May! In my neck of the woods that means it’s getting hot hot hot! So, we’re going to talk about how to have fun in the sun while keeping your skin protected.

My kids are all doing outdoor activities today for school so we layered on the sunscreen this morning. We prefer the sunscreen sticks for our faces and the sprays for everywhere else.

I try to do any yard work before 10 am or after 6 pm when the UV index is more moderate because I do not like wearing hats or sunscreen if it can be avoided.

How about you? Do you prefer hats, sunscreen, or something else to protect yourself from the sun?

2. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

Sunscreen for me and avoiding the sun between 11am and 3 pm as far as I am able.
    And yes to a hat too.

umyesh likes this.
  3. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar

I use sunscreen .. my father is half native so he doesn't burn at all.. I use to not and been super tan in summer than... after I had kids something changed and now I burn and turn into a lobster .. werid how that works ..sigh
    I also have 1000 pairs of sunglasses... I swear every time I go to the dollar store I pick up another pair. I got a rainbow of colors and designs

umyesh likes this.
  4. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

I dislike sunscreen so only use it when I'm at the beach and even then I stay out of the sun from 11AM until 1PM. At home I do yard work after the sun is below the tree line (7PM). I have a floppy hat to wear if I have to be in the sun.

umyesh likes this.
  5. umyesh

Avoiding the sun is easier said than done sometimes! I thought I was avoiding it today but my nose got burnt.

6. umyesh

Isn’t it crazy how having kids can change so many things?! Sunglasses are a must for me too; I’ll have to check out the dollar store ones!

7. umyesh

I knew I couldn’t be the only one who dislikes sunscreen. Whenever I do yard work at night I end up finishing in the dark or skipping some because there’s not enough light left.

8. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I was one of those who tanned very easily when I was young. And, I worshipped the sun a lot so always had a tan. I did use sunscreen especially on my nose. That was the only thing on me that burned! I got it from my parents. Both of them tanned easily. Dad got very dark because he worked construction and was usually working outside. Then when he got home, he worked in the yard for relaxation. As I've gotten older and the skin is thinner, I have had times of getting a sunburn and I wasn't even out long. On the neck yet to boot... not fun.

But I stopped worshipping the sun 30 years ago so I no longer get tanned unless I am on a vacation in a sunny area. But I do wear sunscreen, especially on my face when I am outside. And, I bought a Coolibar hat last summer to wear when I take my walks. Besides shading my eyes, it protects my neck.

I've had several friends that have gotten skin cancer and it isn't fun. My cousin's daughter is a dermatologist in Orlando... you can guess what kind of patients she sees a lot of! She is an advocate of lots of sunscreen even reapplying it at least every 2 hours. And, her whole family including her parents wear Coolibar clothing in the summer. Her kids swim in the Coolibar clothing. Neither one of them has ever had a suntan (unlike Dr mom who worshipped the sun in her teens).

umyesh likes this.
  9. umyesh

I’ll have to check out Coolibar. My maternal grandpa had skin cancer and I think my mom does now too so I know I need to be extra careful with my skin.

10. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I was such a sun worshipper in my younger days. Picture the baby oil and sun-in on a black roofed college dorm days lol. I've never really burned except for my face and I have always kept sunscreen on it. I've gotten better about all over sunscreen as I've gotten older. I love being out most all day in the summer, and I prefer a spray for the body and lotion for my face. I do always wear sunglasses because my eyes have gotten way more sensitive the older I've gotten.

umyesh likes this.
  11. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I hate sunscreen even more than any other kind of goop that's available for faces, so my first defense is avoidance. If I really want to be out in the mid-day summer sun for more than an hour, I'll use a hat or sunscreen.

umyesh likes this.
  12. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

I mostly try to avoid the sun. I hate sunscreen so to the extent possible, I wear long sleeves. I even bought myself some of those slip-on arm covers for working out in the yard. I'd rather wear those than sunscreen.

umyesh likes this.
  13. jam-on-toast

jam-on-toast Well-Known Member

I love sunny weather and here in Jakarta it gets quite hot and sunny almost every day. I do use sunblock for my face every day - more like a day cream with SPF 30, and a regular sunscreen on most days when we go to the sea, but sometimes it just slips my mind. Back in Europe I used to be super pale and burned easily but now my skin's got this shade of tropical tan that comes from living in the climate rather than lying on the beach and I don't remember the last time I got sunburned.

I don't use hats, but have been known to use a scarf to protect my head from the sun.

umyesh likes this.
  14. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I got my hat from Amazon. Not sure if they have everything Coolibar sells though. It is a little pricey but considering what it is for, it is totally worth it.

My cousin's wife wears the tops quite often. If you saw her you wouldn't know it was sun protection clothing!

umyesh likes this.
  15. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

How about you? Do you prefer hats, sunscreen, or something else to protect yourself from the sun?

I prefer a visor actually- as I always have my hair up in a ponytail or bun. I have super sensitive skin, so for me, I have some specific cream sunscreens that don't bother my skin. For the kids- we use a spray for their bodies and a face lotion for faces- since they are preteen/teenager and concerned about blemishes. ;) My daughter also sometimes wears a sun protection long sleeve shirt but I can't get my son to wear anything but sunscreen.

umyesh likes this.
  16. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

Where we live it's pretty shaded. But when we go to the beach we use sunscreen, hats, umbrellas, and swim shirts (for those who get more sun than others).

umyesh likes this.
  17. umyesh

My eyes have gotten way more sensitive too!

18. umyesh

It sounds like you hate sunscreen as much as my kids haha

michelepixels likes this.
  19. umyesh

Long sleeves is a great idea. I wear long sleeves when we go fishing but haven’t tried it for yard work yet.

20. umyesh

I need to start using a cream on my face every day because it keeps getting fried. I also like the scarf idea instead of a hat.