Strawberries | Pad Patter 5.21

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, May 21, 2023.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Today is National Strawberries and Cream Day! I really love strawberries and I'm kicking myself for not picking some up at the store today, even though I do sometimes feel like they are a little hit or miss at the grocery store. A lot of times I just eat them by themselves or maybe dipped in a little sugar. I'm also a sucker for a really great strawberry dessert! Strawberry Pretzel Salad is my favorite
    Strawberry-Pretzel-Salad-4.jpg

Do you like strawberries? Do you have a favorite way to eat them..alone? in a dessert?

umyesh likes this.
  2. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

We just ate an entire package of strawberries from Costco that I purchased this afternoon with dinner tonight! lol We had breakfast for dinner (hubby made croissant french toast) so I try to have fresh berries for our 'healthy' side. They were perfectly ripe & sweet! I love strawberries- I make a really yummy salad for 4th of July that has cut up strawberries, blueberries and feta (Red/white/blue!) I also use them in a berry trifle for dessert! MMM. I'm not a big fan of the fake strawberry 'flavor' type of stuff, gotta be fresh, or at the least frozen berries!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  3. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I've just bought strawberries at the farmer's market for the second weekend in a row, and consumed them all (plain, with yogurt, and on pancakes). They're so good freshly picked. I've gone strawberry picking many times, too, but I have a farmer's market a mile from my house and another five miles away in town, and I love it!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  4. tiffany scraps

tiffany scraps still plays outside

I love them too. Sadly I didn't take advantage of this "holiday" either.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  5. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I like strawberry everything...jam, berries by themselves, in a strawberry shortcake, on angle food cake.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  6. Lynnette

Lynnette In my life, I've loved them all

Strawberries are my favorite! That strawberry pretzel salad is legit. I have a little strawberry patch in my backyard and I want to plant even more. They are so good fresh from the garden!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  7. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

love strawberries. My favourite way to eat them is dipped in dark chocolate.

8. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Love strawberries! One of the first things I ate after getting my implants 2 years ago. I missed eating them.

I usually cut them up, put them in a bowl and put lots of sugar on them. As a kid we would do that only have them on an individual shortcake in the bowl. Pour in some milk and top it off with sugar.

I do love strawberry pie but don't make it. However, if I am eating out and they have strawberry pie on the menu I will get a slice.

Haven't bought any yet this year. Need to put on grocery list.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  9. estir_bune

estir_bune No, it's snot

I love strawberries just by themselves BUT they are also yummy muddled in a glass with ice cold Prosecco, sparkling wine, or Champagne! If you cut them up and leave at room temperature they are easy to mash up... nice treat for a brunch or anytime really!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  10. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

I'm still on my health kick so no sweet treat ideas from me. But I love strawberries in plain oat meal....they add such a flavor punch especially with a sprinkle of cinnamon.

Next, I like strawberries in salads. Some spinach, some pecans, some grilled chicken + the strawberries and a dash of raspberry vinaigrette - yum!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  11. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Sign me up for all the strawberry things! YUM! Plain, whipped cream, ice cream, all of it!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  12. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I love strawberries, but I really hesitate to get them at the grocery store because they are never quite as good as the fresh ones when they are in season here in Michigan. Usually they come to the farmer's market around the first week of June and I almost always get a flat of them. I make a ton of freezer jam, then we have at least one strawberry pie and then I use the rest to make "strawberry smush" I chop them up and add sugar and we pour it over vanilla ice cream. Sooo good! My oldest recently said he's been hankering for my smush. :giggle It's almost time! Yay!

IntenseMagic and bestcee like this.
  13. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

I love strawberries plain and in fresh pie. I don’t like them cooked.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  14. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I got my first strawberry yesterday off my plants! It was slightly tart, but I wasn't willing to wait any longer.

I have a bunch of green ones, so hopefully we'll have some yummy ones soon. And I'm hoping to get to the Farmer's Market Saturday for some local ones. The store ones are coming from too far and meh.

IntenseMagic and jk703 like this.
  15. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Can you share your freezer jam and smush recipes? my kids would love that, and it seems like it might be a smash as a BBQ! We have loads of farm stands nearby so I can get my fill when they are looking good!

16. IntenseMagic

Oh my goodness, that breakfast for dinner sounds amazing and I love your 4th of July and trifle ideas! I'm not a big fan of the fake flavor either.

I seriously need to go to the farmer's market and soon! I love them with yogurt as well!

We will need to have an unofficial Strawberries Day :)

Oh yes, jam, shortcake, angel food cake! Amazing!

tiffany scraps likes this.
  17. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar

Love strawberries... I like them in smoothies.. in salads... plain.. on cakes ... mashed with sugar... basically any way..lol
    My mom grows the best in her garden.. super sweet

IntenseMagic likes this.
  18. IntenseMagic

I've tried strawberries a few times and haven't had much luck growing my own, I'm jealous!

Oh my gosh, I haven't had strawberry pie in ages! I definitely think it's time!

Yes! I'm thinking an ice cold Prosecco or Champagne with strawberries would be amazing right now!

That's on of my favorite salads...so yum!!!

Most definitely all the strawberry things!!

19. IntenseMagic

Yep, I always hesitate at the grocery store as well. I need to hit up our farmer's market soon!! Strawberry smush sounds fantastic!!!

I'm really craving a slice of strawberry pie right now!!

I totally get the not waiting thing lol. I think I am definitely headed to the farmer's market this week!

Ooooh smoothies!! Another great one!

Karen, dotcomkari and umyesh like this.
  20. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Smush is SO easy. I have a tupperware hand crank thing to chop up the strawberries, but a food processor works too. Just a tiny bit of processing is good, you want some good chunks of strawberry left. Then stir in some sugar to sweeten it up. I just keep it in a ball jar in the fridge, but it never last long at my house. :giggle

I'll have to come back with the freezer jam recipe as it's at home. It's pretty easy to make also, but you can only make small batches of about 3 jars at a time, so it takes awhile to do a larger quantity. It's SO good though.

jk703 likes this.