Watch Your Back | Pad Patter 5.11.23

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by umyesh, May 11, 2023.

1. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

In honor of National Foam Rolling Day today (there’s such a thing?!), let’s talk about back care.

When I was in middle school I started high jumping and it messed with my back big time. I started going to a chiropractor and still go to the same one today. The chiropractor helped but I think quitting high jump helped the most. ;)

Now I am a firm believer in foam rolling my back. We own a long one that we keep at home and we also have a Chirp roller that’s smaller so we can take it in the car with us when we go on vacation. It has saved us many trips to the chiropractor, but we do still go in if we need more than what the foam roller can do.

How about you? How do you take care of your back?

2. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

I have never been to a chiropractor. In general I've been fortunate to not have back issues... until recently. I got into a pattern of sleeping on the couch with the TV on to help distract my brain enough to let me fall asleep. When things settled down enough for me to decide to switch back to the bed, I started waking up in the morning with horrible pain in my entire upper back and the sides of my rib cage. It would go away once I'd been up and moving around for a while, but it was not a fun way to wake up. It's really puzzling because I've never had this problem before, and theoretically the bed should be much more comfortable than the couch. I experimented a few nights with different settings on the bed (Sleep Number), but it didn't help. So for now I'm back on the couch. I might try again the next time DH goes out of town so that I don't have to worry about disturbing him if I want to try changing settings or moving back out to the couch during the night.

umyesh likes this.
  3. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

I’ve had lower back/sciatica issues forever and I just try not to overdo any lifting. I try to keep fit and keep my core strong to protect it and I get massages a lot. My hubby ruptured a disk in his lower back a year ago and it has really been debilitating for him. He’s having surgery next month which will hopefully help.

umyesh likes this.
  4. umyesh

I’m impressed you’ve never been to a chiropractor Kim! So sorry about the horrible back pain; that’s good it goes away after you get up and moving at least. So weird that the bed is worse for you than the couch!

KimJ likes this.
  5. umyesh

That’s good you keep fit and do core work to protect your back. Hubby and I have done more back work than core work so we’re trying to even them out now to avoid any problems. I hope your hubby’s surgery goes well!

6. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I've had back pain since I was 21 with sciatica that used to just affect the left side but now is on the right side as well. I have a host of other issues that include degenerative disc disease, spinal stenosis, and arthritis.

The biggest thing is for me to lose more weight. Not that the weight that I've lost has helped my back pain, but I need to be at a better BMI in order to have surgery. The surgery will in all likelihood not help as the nerves have been compressed for so long, but it will help for the future so it doesn't get any worse.

I have a spinal cord stimulator that helps with pain management as well as different medications.

Stretching helps to a degree so I do some of that.

umyesh likes this.
  7. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I've had lower back issues and neck issues since the 1980's. My parents both went to a chiropractor and suggested I see him as well. He did x-rays and found I was not aligned like I should be. The c-spine x-rays also showed it wasn't aligned correctly. As he explained it... they call it a c-spine and it is shaped like a c, yours is completely straight with no curve at all.

So I've been seeing a chiro ever since, these days as needed. Had to find a new chiro in the middle of one of my treatment periods where it was taking longer to get things to stay in place because my chiro died. I couldn't wait until they found a buyer for the chiro's business. I found another one (husband/wife office) here in town and I've been extremely happy with them, especially in March/April of 2020 when I was having issues. They were there for their patients (others around here were putting patients off until more was known about covid).

I do wear a back brace when I'm doing lots of bending or lifting. The chiro showed me exactly where it needs to be placed to protect my back. I am at the age where more issues start to pop up but with doing what I have done for years I have been able to put off any surgery for either my back/neck or knees. Granted I don't move as quickly as I used to but at least I can still do it on my own!

On a side note, I have a cousin that sees her chiro for everything. She only goes to a medical doctor for extreme illness. Chiros have their place and are a good add-on to a medical doctor. Funny thing is all those years ago when Dad first went to the chiro, it was on the medical doctor's recommendation. That recommendation saved Dad from ever having back surgery.

umyesh likes this.
  8. KayTeaPea

KayTeaPea I carried a watermelon

I (like Cheryl) have degenerative disc disease with a lumbar disc collapsing which results in sciatic pain on the right side, and I have already had a disc in my neck replaced back in 2017. After having the neck disc replacement, I am no longer a candidate for chiropractic care. Any "adjusting" of my neck could cause the screws in my vertebrae to shear off or crack. I do use a tens machine at home (like the chiro and my Physical Therapist used) as needed. I also have been doing Pelvic Floor physical therapy and working on my core to help my back issues. I go in every 6-9 months or so for a cortisone injection into the epidural space on the level of the disc in my lower back that is collapsing-- the steroid injection helps a lot with the pain. I am lucky that the injections work for me, they don't work for everyone. I have had about 25 cortisone injections now. I sleep on an adjustable bed, with my knees and head raised up, and that has helped a bunch.

umyesh likes this.
  9. umyesh

I forget about spinal cord stimulators! I think we have one of those too and it definitely helps. Stretching is something I need to do more of...

gonewiththewind likes this.
  10. umyesh

I'm glad seeing a chiropractor has helped you and that you were able to find a good replacement (that can be so hard!). Your back brace sounds like a big help too. Good job doing everything on your own still!

11. umyesh

I am glad the injections work for you Kelly. I didn't realize that neck disc replacement makes it so you can no longer have chiropractic care; good to know. We have a tens unit at home to use as needed too.

12. HavaDrPepper

The back brace is just one that you can buy in any drug store, nothing special. Wraps around and hooks by velcro.

umyesh likes this.
  13. umyesh

I think we own one like that but I'm not sure where we got it; probably from my in-laws when they downsized.

14. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I had constant lower back issues for years until I lost some weight a few years back. I do though use cushions to help support my back when at the computer (I’m so short that my feet don’t touch the ground without additional help of both a foot rest under my feet and a cushion behind my back). I also use a cushion roll behind my back when I’m sleeping to stop me rolling on to my back (that makes my sleep issues worse).

umyesh likes this.
  15. umyesh

I'm glad you have been able to use cushions to help your back Jennifer. Whenever I'm sitting on a couch that's too deep I have to use a pillow behind my back or it starts hurting.

16. HavaDrPepper

Yeah, I have a cushion behind my back when I'm in my computer chair and even the dining room chairs. Also helps to keep the seat of the chair to being right up against my knees. A couple of inches really helps!

umyesh likes this.
  17. umyesh

I just got a new computer chair and haven’t quite figured out how to make it comfortable so maybe I’ll try a cushion.

18. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

It's not a TENS unit (which I think is what you're referring to). It's internal and has a generator/battery pack that is on my right hip under the skin with wires leading to the paddle and leads. It sends an electrical signal 24/7. I've had it for 5 1/2 years. I need to have the generator/battery replaced as I'm having to charge the generator every other night now.

umyesh likes this.
  19. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Like Kim, I have never been to a chiropractor, either. I've been fortunate to have no real back issues. I did have a bout of sciatica probably 25 years ago, but it hasn't bothered me since.
    I would love to have a foam roller or Chirp wheel. Every time I watch somebody use one I think how good it must feel!!
    I'm getting a massage tomorrow and I'm so excited. It was part of our teacher appreciation week. It's only 15 minutes, but I'll take it!!

umyesh likes this.
  20. HavaDrPepper

When I was still working there was a semi-driver that is also a licensed massage therapist. At one point his schedule had him being off the clock about noon. He would bring his massage chair in and give 10 minute massages for $5. Absolute heaven! Really helped me during the high stress times. He also told me when it was time to see the chiro. But his schedule changed and he had to quit doing them. Several of us girls in the office missed them.

umyesh likes this.