Resizing and Moving Elements & Papers

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by littlekiwi, Mar 28, 2023.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I struggle with a few things that sometimes work but most of the time drive me to frustration! Can anyone help me?

I use Photoshop CC (latest edition I am pretty sure - Adobe automatically lets me know when there is an update!).

I am pretty sure that most of my issues could normally be attributed to "Auto Select" & "Show Transform Controls" but in my case they are already ticked.

I find that even if I "think" I have selected a particular layer, it chooses a different layer altogether. Yes "Auto Select" & "Show Transform Controls" are ticked

I also find that I can't grab on to smaller elements without them resizing on me which I don't want.
    Eg: it was an absolute nightmare to get the eyelets and buttons the size I wanted on this layout today - I think I spent more time getting them right than the rest of the layout
    [​IMG]

Finally I find that my background papers tend to show a sliver of blank background so I am having to increase the size of the paper to bigger than 12x12 to make sure no white is showing where there shouldn't be.

What am I doing so wrong?

2. ninigoesdigi

ninigoesdigi Designer

For resizing small elements I feel you. I just zoom a lot. The scroll button on my mouse is my best friend ;)
    I don't know any other trick.

For the rest I don't know sorry. Just yesterday I had to reinstall a previous version of CC cause my actions didn't save anymore. That did the trick. I had the latest one 24.3 I think and went back to 24.1
    It might be the solution until they find a solutions to bugs.

3. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

I would recommend turning off auto select and just holding down your control key and putting your cursor on the area of your canvas where you want to select your element. Auto select is a nightmare for me and I’ve never had it turned on.

I suspect with your background paper, you’re accidentally selecting it without noticing and nudging it. That would also be solved by turning off auto select.

I hope that helps!

KimJ and LoveItScrapIt like this.
  4. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

? perhaps lock the background and any object under what you trying to select . , to resize

5. littlekiwi

I think you might be right, it's just annoying as I don't tend to notice it until I go and save for web

6. littlekiwi

It's been going on for longer than just an update and I am pretty sure I had similar issues when I used PSE so I think its more likely user error on my end

7. fruitysuet

fruitysuet Well-Known Member

I have the same problems in PSE, yes, user error coupled with a lack of intuitive select in the programme.

The suggestions to lock background and then superzoom on smaller items are what I do, together with sometimes re-sizing ever so slightly the background if nudging first doesn't work.

8. Rachel Jefferies

Rachel Jefferies Designer

I do exactly as Sheri does, I use the ctrl/command and click, it's so much easier, I was having heaps of problems with the auto select checked

SeattleSheri likes this.
  9. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

Another vote for this method.

SeattleSheri likes this.
  10. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Control- Z is my friend!! It is hard to select small or thin items. Be sure the very tip of your cursor is on the object.

Also check Preferences, there is an option to turn on/off transform when placing an item. I have mine turned off because I don't always want to resize after placing something.

11. littlekiwi

Thank you @ninigoesdigi, this was the solution. For some reason I never think to zoom as I like to work being able to see the full 12x12 but there are times when I really should zoom in....makes life a lot easier!

ninigoesdigi likes this.