March 2023 Week 1 - Mixed Media

Discussion in 'Art Journaling' started by Pachimac, Mar 6, 2023.

1. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

Welcome to the March Art Journaling Muse. I am Susie and I am your host for this week.

We are going to go back to the basics for just a bit and talk about the “art” in art journaling. As you probably have seen, trying to define “art journaling” is like trying to tell someone who can’t see colors what “purple” looks like! Most people have their own idea of what true “art journaling” is, but there ARE some specifics we can focus on to make sure that we know what we are doing.

Isn’t there a design rule that says that you have to know the rules before you can break them? Well, in art journaling, we ARE breaking a lot of design rules. It’s not so important to have the “rule of thirds” or worry about contrast, repetition, alignment, and proximity. Sometimes even color palettes go out the window with art journaling!

This week, I will be addressing “Mixed Media”. Very simply put, mixed media is the use of different kinds of art supplies like paints, inks, chalks, fabrics, paper, glitter, tapes, and even rhinestones to create one of a kind art piece. It’s not so much about HOW you create it and what the end result is - mixed media is more about what tools and items you use to create your page.

Here are some of the mixed media tools. Obviously, this is not an exhaustive list, and these are items if you are doing “in real life” art. To translate it to digital, you have to think of the EFFECTS these tools make.

Here are some:
    Acrylic Paints, Watercolor paints, gouache paints (thicker than watercolor, thinner than acrylic) Watercolor Crayons, Paint pens, pencils, stencils, stamps, archival ink, gesso, and tacky glue or some kind of adhesive if you are collaging.

The term mixed media is often times used as an umbrella to cover all the different types of art you create with it. Here are some types of Mixed Media Art pieces one can make:

Collages, (usually paper items, but could also use other items like ribbon) junk journals (using things on hand to make pages), vision journals (choosing items to express your vision for your future like things cut out of magazines, etc…), altered art (think to recycle some found object to make a different object), assemblage art (where the artist uses scavenged items to create their art), and sculpture (if one is designing with more than one medium - clay, metal, plastic, mesh, etc…)

Lisa, Cindy, and Ona will be diving into 3 types of mixed media art in the next month. For now, let’s just practice the use of the tools of mixed media to make a page.

This is our theme for the month: We DARE you to EMBRACE play!!

WE DARE YOU to develop your talent.
    WE DARE YOU to create something new.
    WE DARE YOU to evolve your art
    WE DARE YOU to challenge yourself.

WE DARE YOU TO EMBRACE Change
    WE DARE YOU TO EMBRACE New ways of thinking
    WE DARE YOU TO EMBRACE Your fear of trying something new
    WE DARE YOU TO EMBRACE The uncertainty

Here are some mixed-media examples that I pulled from Pinterest:

This first one inspired me to do my page. See how it's a mixture of different mediums? It uses text, color, paint, gesso, blending, painting, and sketching. Artwork by Sharyle Doherty
    1f3877c275dc46077cfdb3909b29791d.jpg

Here is an example of altered art. Notice it is in the mixed media style, but the artist uses metals and has been painted on canvas. Honestly - I could not tell if this is digital or physical! (It is physical. I had to know!)
    mixed-media-art-14.jpg

This is by an artist named finnabair and it's called "once upon a time"

"It is a mixture of everything: Prima paper flowers and embellishments (including my Mechanicals and Ingvild's Junkyard Findings), trinkets, fake jewelry, electronic and electrical elements, can openers, pebbles, trinkets, computer parts, found objects such as light bulbs, gears and other clock elements.

Colours: Luminarte Primary Elements Pigments and Silks Acrylic Glaze."

This one is from Ally Jade Art, and this is mixed-media illustration printed on paper with the Giclee technique. (Very high quality printing) It was created as a layered collage with white posca pen writing.
    6147893-HSC00001-7.jpg

I'm kind of inspired by faces lately...can you tell?

Here is my page. I took elements of all 3 of the example pages and made my page with all digital items.
    [​IMG]

I also took a free art journalling course from Laly Mille (one of my favorite mixed media artists) this week and the style just "Happened" to be mixed media - so here is a paper/in real life example from me. I am a complete beginner, so be kind to me - LOL !!!

LalyAJ.jpg

I used many of the mixed media tools: collage, paint pens, distressed watercolor crayons, gesso, modge podge, pencils, acrylic ink, Copic alcohol markers, in a notebook that I made myself with watercolor paper.

Challenge for Week 1
    • This week I want you to create a layout in the mixed media style of Art Journaling.
    • You can create any type of page ie. clean and simple, artsy, pocket style etc, but you must use the tools of mixed media. Remember: Mixed media is the use of different kinds of art supplies like paints, inks, chalks, fabrics, paper, glitter, tapes, and even rhinestones to create one of a kind art piece. This includes hybrid and full-on paper scrapping as well. Just remember to use some TLP products in your page.
    • Remember this is for everyone, so have FUN and go where your inspiration takes you!
    • Please post your layout to the Art Journaling Gallery HERE prior to Midnight EST April 2, 2023 and then post it in this thread by copying the code (at the right of your gallery image) from the box under "Share BB Code".
    We will draw a winner at the beginning of next month for a coupon!! Every layout you create is equal to one entry in the random draw. So if you create 1 layout you are entered once, if you create 4 layouts you are entered 4 times.

You can use any products in the Lilypad store or retired products from current Lilypad designers, (just make sure you follow our gallery guidelines).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2023
    Thuria, umyesh, KarenC and 3 others like this.
  2. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

@Pachimac wowser. Looking forward to doing this.
    I am also doing Laly Mille's workshop ( I love her Art too ) yours look great ! Mine is still at the " awkard teenage ugly stage ".

3. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

I totally get what Vivi means about the awkward teenage ugly stage, for I am there myself! Ha! But I am greatly inspired by the theme this month:

WE DARE YOU to develop your talent.
    WE DARE YOU to create something new.
    WE DARE YOU to evolve your art
    WE DARE YOU to challenge yourself.

WE DARE YOU TO EMBRACE Change
    WE DARE YOU TO EMBRACE New ways of thinking
    WE DARE YOU TO EMBRACE Your fear of trying something new
    WE DARE YOU TO EMBRACE The uncertainty

And therefore feel emboldened to use one of my 100daysoffaces faces this week. I am not where I want to be in my drawing and Procreate skills...and I won't get where I want to be unless I practice, practice, and practice some more. So, here is to those awkward, ugly teenage years - and developing your talents, creating something new, embracing change, and facing fears.

[​IMG]

Thuria, Lillyia and Nemla like this.
  4. Pachimac

I feel like mine stayed in the awkward teenaged stage! I did another one yesterday that I like a LOT better!!! LM_Peaceful.jpg

Lillyia and Nemla like this.
  5. Pachimac

I love this, Lisa!!!!!!! So wonderful!!

6. caapmun

caapmun Well-Known Member

7. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

@Pachimac well done on the Art journal. Your second attempt rocks !

8. Janisn

Janisn Well-Known Member

I was inspired by your faces and the steampunk layout. I used a sketch of face, lots of gears/watch parts, leaves, beads, glittery hearts and lots of painterly background.
    [​IMG]

Thuria likes this.
  9. KarenC

KarenC Well-Known Member

I used paint, fabric, beads and stitches on my page. Thanks for the challenge. Love all the inspiration!

[​IMG]

10. Pachimac

Thank you so much! I'm on page 3 now! I'm on a roll! LOL

Nemla likes this.
  11. designbylime

designbylime Definitely a cat person.

Gorgeous pages you all have shared. This was a fun challenge.
    [​IMG]

12. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

13. Annsofie

Annsofie Crime Books & Cozy Nooks

My page. Thanks for the inspiration!

[​IMG]

Thuria likes this.
  14. wombat146

wombat146 Check out my kilt! And my turret!

Oh my, look at all of these STUNNING layouts, both digital and RL! You have all done such an amazing job, love seeing the different styles present, from full-on-fill-your-page to minimalist, they all look so fabulous!! :cloud9

I have watched Laly's videos but haven't started any RL pages yet, my desktop is just soooooooo messy I can't find anything so I need to do a big clean up first! lol!! But I will get started on a digital page, that I can do without cleaning up first! lol! :giggle

Nemla likes this.
  15. garrynkim

garrynkim I'm not messy, I'm just really creative!

Thanks for the challenge! Love your junk journal pages.
    [​IMG]

16. Smwhite

Smwhite Well-Known Member

So many wonderful pages!!! I too enrolled and watched the Laly Mille classes, I love her work! I was inspired because she shared that she is not fast at art journaling... very freeing as I'm not a fast journaler or scrapper either. I've not completed a page, but I did make an art journal! :dancebunSo Inspiring! I'm coming late to the game so I'll get started!

Nemla likes this.
  17. ajm

ajm Well-Known Member

Thank you for the challenge and inspiration!

[​IMG]

Thuria likes this.
  18. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

fabulous inspirations. In my painting room mixed media has become my favourite way to crete. I used to be an oil painter, but paintings taht are toxic when wet and take upto 6 weeks to dry are a bad idea around small children. Can you imagine the agony of 6 weeks of do not touch? So I quit not long after my eldest was born and tried out acrylics. I didn't like them anywhere as much missing the butteryness of the paint. I joined Cilenia Curtis's CT and she introduced me to mixed media and that made me so happy.

I've been wanting to try an assemblage clock one day, but not got that far. When I saw Lynn's new wooden paper pack I knew instantly how I wanted to use it.
    [​IMG]

19. Dady

Dady Well-Known Member

Thank you for this challenge!

[​IMG]

Thuria likes this.
  20. Pachimac

I have commented on all of your pages up to here in the gallery. I'm so amazed at how you have all DARE-ing to EMBRACE our challenge! So many pages and so many different interpretations of this challenge!