Ideal Desk

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Jan 20, 2023.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

So, do you like your desk? Is there something buggy about it? Do you have an eye on a desk you wish you had?

I'm using an old kitchen table currently, but the leg is struggling to stay on, and I do worry about my monitors crashing down someday. So....I'm looking for a desk. I'd like it to have a drawer I can hide my candy in because people like to snitch it off my desk!

Man, there's a lot of options out there. So, Let's chat! What's your desk? What does it look like? What do you like about it?

2. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

After much searching for several years, I finally found the desk that would work best for me in 2019. It has 2 drawers (1 is a file drawer), a keyboard tray and a place to put the desktop tower. I use the tower space for binders and a basket that holds thumb drives etc on the shelf. I like my tower to be accessible to plug things in so it sits on top of a 2 drawer metal filing cabinet next to the desk. I loved having the keyboard tray but can no longer use it for the keyboard and mouse. I have to have corded (too many disconnection issues with wireless) and the cords don't reach far enough. So it now holds my binder with my paper calendar and some small notebooks with PSP notes. I got rid of my previous desk (that I had been looking to replace) in 2018. I used a really old folding table until I found the new one. That table is heavy since it is made of metal and from the 1950's!

I got it from Amazon for less than $200 at that time. Amazon.com: Sauder Computer Desk, Brushed Maple finish : Home & Kitchen

Layout about the new desk:
    [​IMG]

bestcee likes this.
  3. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I have an old white painted one that’s I’ve had for probably 25ish years that cost about $20 and it’s great. Has two drawers and a pull out little tray that I can rest my mouse arm on. Now if my PC tower wasn’t hogging up precious space on my desk it would be perfect but that’s more because there’s a huge stack of stuff on the bookcase where I’d like the tower to go.

bestcee likes this.
  4. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

I knew I'd posted a pic of my desk here before, so I went looking for it, reread what I'd posted before, and I would pretty much say the same thing word for word. :lol

bestcee likes this.
  5. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

I love my computer desk at my office. It was designed for Radio Shack’s TRS-80 microcomputers, which is why we originally bought it back in the 80’s when we bought our TRS-80s. It has a shelf to put a 3 disc expansion drive, and a drawer meant to hold file folders. The TRS-80 and a printer fit on the desktop.

Nowadays, I have my monitor, keyboard, tower, speakers, and printer on the desktop.

bestcee likes this.
  6. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I'm very happy with my desk. I bought it in 2011 (along with a few other pieces of furniture when we redecorated that year) at Ashley Furniture, a discount store here in Fredericksburg. (Maybe elsewhere too; I don't know whether it's a chain.) The mock drawers on the left are actually just one file drawer. In the background you can just barely make out we have a separate file cabinet; it holds our printer/scanner. Not visible, in our family room, camera left, we have the matching credenza and hutch, where we store games, dining table linens, and papers. My desk is located in the kitchen nook (big windows are behind me when I sit here) so centrally located. I like that it's big so it holds quite a bit. I like having a keyboard tray with space behind it for stashing some papers I want to keep handy but not cluttering the desktop. I like the it's simple and looks nice.

2023-01-03-week01-062.JPG

bestcee likes this.
  7. mary kate

mary kate Well-Known Member

I don't hate my desk, but I don't love it either. It's small but serviceable, I guess. My ideal desk is a whole lot larger!

bestcee likes this.
  8. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

My desk is slightly imbalanced (cheap ikea legs) and it’s next to a wall/line of windows with storage space underneath that has badly build in doors and these two elements together drive me completely crazy when it slightly sways and creaks when I’m moving to much or my cats jump up. To make matters worse, my desk chair squeaks when I move. And I work from home average 2-3 days a week.
    It’s very annoying but not too much that I go and try to change anything. In the next few months/year I will move my office area to a corner in my living room so I feel like it’s not worth it to fix it.

At my job there is an open desk policy and I work in different buildings and offices depending on where I need to be or where I have an appointment. Mostly the situation is fine but it’s not great if you need to attend online meetings.

bestcee likes this.
  9. estir_bune

estir_bune No, it's snot

bestcee likes this.
  10. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

I basically have this desk from Ethan Allen except that the sides and legs are black. I’ve had it for close to 30 year and it’s been a good desk. Two drawers on the left side and one big file drawer on the right. Long flat drawer in the middle. It’s a good configuration. I was actually thinking the other day that I would have more drawer space if the drawers went all the way to the floor but I don’t like that look as much and I do like keeping my trash can under the drawers on the left.
    [​IMG]

bestcee likes this.
  11. KayTeaPea

KayTeaPea I carried a watermelon

I use a laptop on a lapdesk, which my husband and I made. He cut down some birch plywood, sanded and stained it to about 24 inches by 12 inches and I added some foam (a thick piece like for a window seat) wrapped in a piece of upholstery dust cloth (which would be used underneath a chair or sofa.) I used gorilla spray adhesive to attach the foam/dustcloth piece to the wooden top piece. I needed a larger lap desk than I could find pre-made so I had more space for my mouse after dealing with tennis elbow from using the regular lap desk I had before which only had about 2 inches of extra width beyond my laptop to use the mouse. Now I have lots of extra space so my elbow has more movement area. Here is a photo: 2023-01-26 10.27.53.jpg

bestcee likes this.
  12. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I've got an old desk that we've had for over 25 years. It is solid. It will last us forever. What I love about it is the drawers on either side and the pull out writing shelves on each side. The top drawers are separated into sections so everything is kept neat and easy to find.

bestcee likes this.
  13. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

I've just have one of those like fake wood desks you'd get at a Target, Staples etc, that you put together. I think we got ours off Amazon or something like that about 10 years ago.

I liked it a TON when we got them. Now I don't really like the height so much or the keyboard tray. But I just work with it.
    Similar to this one, except flipped with the cabinet/drawer on the right and in a darker wood
    [​IMG]

Ideally, I'd like to get a electric adjustable desk like I have at work, because I feel I sit very ergonomically at work with my setup.
    I've been reviewing and researching a few but that might be a bit down the road cost wise for me.

bestcee likes this.
  14. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

My laptop is on the kitchen table and after I shut down for the day I put it away on a side table.

bestcee likes this.
  15. RebeccaH

RebeccaH Life is exciting, yes it is!

My daughter and I are just finishing up a project that is desk/office related. We have 4 bedrooms upstairs. One was being used as a guest room. We decided to eliminate the guest room, move my daughter's room into that room, and then make her old room into a shared office / art space. We just finished up the final organizational touches today. We have a few aesthetic things to finish up eventually.
    That being said, the desk is an IKEA desk that is saw horse legs and a glass top. The glass is a reallly cook mint blue with hexagons on it. And i LOVE it. I guess if there's a downside to it, it's that there are no drawers or storage places. And it's open, so cables can't be hidden. But we have plenty of storage in the rest of the room, and we don't have any permanent electronics set up. So it works for us. It's kind of my happy place!

** ETA**
    Just remembered I took a picture of it a few days ago...[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2023
    KayTeaPea likes this.