Ideal Birthday | Pad Patter 01.19.23

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by umyesh, Jan 19, 2023.

1. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

With TLP Birthday Bash coming up (TOMORROW!!!) I thought it would be fun to talk birthdays today.

What is your ideal birthday? Are you a "celebrate all month" kind of person? Or are you a "please do not even mention my birthday" kind of person? Somewhere in between? Do tell!

2. umyesh

I have always loved my birthday. I love to celebrate all month by going to get birthday freebies. I basically celebrate my birthdays with food. My favorite birthday was probably at Disneyland because I was with my family having fun AND good food.

3. ashanddiz

ashanddiz Well-Known Member

I'm somewhere in the middle. Definitely not an ALL month person. We usually go out to eat with family and my boys will pick out a bday cake. This year I'm turning 40 :faint2so I think I might want a bigger party, but I'd still be totally fine with dinner and a bday cake from my boys. ;)

umyesh likes this.
  4. umyesh

Congrats on the big four zero this year! Party it up!

5. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

It used to be going out to dinner with mom & dad but after she passed away 26 years ago, that didn't happen much. Dad ended up moving to NC in 1999 or 2000, so it was rare that I even saw him on my birthday. There was one year when his Navy reunion was in Chicago the week before my birthday. They drove here and stayed for a few days before going to the reunion. Then when it was over, they came back here for a couple days and Dad, Martha and I went out for dinner on my birthday. They left for NC the next morning.

But I will say that from 2001 to 2016, I was working 10 hour days on my birthday (unless it was a weekend) because of corporate year end falling just 4 days before my birthday... I worked in the accounting function. So it was just another long work day. The year Dad was here, I told my boss I was out of there normal time so I could at least spend part of my birthday with my dad!

Any more, it is just another day but at least I'm retired and if I want to do something special, I can. This last year I was sick on my birthday, sicker than I've been in a long time. I think it was food poisoning, the frozen dinner I had the night before just didn't taste right in the last few bites.

umyesh likes this.
  6. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

I don't usually celebrate big, although I enjoy getting Happy Birthday phone calls, texts and/or emails.

For my 60th b'day, a friend and I flew to CA and spent the week at Disneyland. That was a lot of fun!

umyesh likes this.
  7. umyesh

I'm so sorry you were sick on your last birthday. That's the worst!

Going out to dinner with mom & dad sounds like it was a nice tradition for you. Yay for being retired so you don't have a super long work day for your birthday any more!

8. umyesh

Calls, texts and emails are always nice. My parents always call and sing for birthdays which is fun.

That 60th sounds amazing! I might have to do that with my sisters when I'm the big six zero. Thanks for the idea! ;)

9. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar

I like to celebrate... take me out to dinner. Buy me presents.. give me back massages..lol.. let me sleep in.. bring Me breakfast in bed.. birthday sex? Mm yeah.. need I say more???

umyesh likes this.
  10. umyesh

lol I'm glad you know how to celebrate Kari! ;) Sleeping in is a great one!

dotcomkari likes this.
  11. berniek

berniek I have a girl crush on the Naming Fairy

As an adult I’m not a fan though I loved it as a kid. But back then it was a party: everyone came for you and you didn’t have to do or think about anything. As an adult I have to clean the house before and after, buy all the food, invite and plan. It’s basically work.

jk703 and umyesh like this.
  12. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I usually like to do something with just hubby and kids. Our anniversary is close to our birthdays so we usually celebrate all of those with a weekend away and then we come home to a yummy cake made by my kids. I would totally not want a birthday party with a bunch of people.

umyesh likes this.
  13. umyesh

Birthdays were definitely better as a kid! I never enjoy cooking or cleaning so I definitely avoid those two things on my birthday.

14. umyesh

Yay for a weekend away! I wish my kids would make me birthday dessert haha sometimes my mom does but I usually just buy it.

15. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I’m not a huge one for fuss on my birthday as an adult, for one it’s in the middle of winter here so the chances of me wanting to go out are slim to nil. Last birthday was an at home affair mainly because I didn’t want to deal with any food intolerance issues if I somehow got glutened while out so I asked for a roast chicken dinner as my birthday also lined up with one of my mums days off.

umyesh likes this.
  16. umyesh

A roast chicken dinner sounds delicious! I have a winter birthday too so I totally understand not wanting to go out in the cold.

17. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I like to celebrate for at least a week.
    I like multiple smaller friend groupings/events.
    A great gift for me would be something that I wouldn't buy for myself, and yet something that resonates with me and lets me you "know" me so well.

umyesh likes this.
  18. tanteva

tanteva Even the professionals are bewildered

I'm a all year round Grinch. I don't like any of the holidays, and I don't like birthdays. To be honest, my mom ruined it all for me, and I've never bothered to "reclaim" things. (Other than my son's birthdays and Christmas when he was a kid.) Mom made every holiday (including other's birthdays) be all about her and how she would want it. For us kids, it was all about shine and be happy for her sake - no matter what day it was.

umyesh likes this.
  19. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

I like to spend the day with family. That's it. The rest is trimmings that the people around me want/like but I can live without.

umyesh likes this.
  20. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I like my birthday and usually use it as an excuse to get out of cooking. My favorite is to go out to dinner with my family, have ice cream and then open presents. :agree Even better if I get to have a weekend birthday and get to sleep in too! :agree

umyesh likes this.