Fave beginner & at home workouts?

Discussion in 'Fit Pad' started by jenn mccabe, Mar 7, 2021.

1. meganmecrazy

meganmecrazy Caution: Randomly Breaks Out into Show tunes

Yoga!! My family and I really like to do DDP Yoga because they have different programs depending on your ability plus you can always modify what they are doing if it is too hard!
    https://ddpyoga.com/

2. tam65

tam65 Break out the lawn mower!

all of the above and Blogilates on you tube but linked to her free workout calendars and then if you are daring then search on you tube Bollywood workout just for something different.

3. Jan_jmgesi

Jan_jmgesi New Member

I didn't read all of the other replies. (I skimmed.) So I apologize if these were already suggested.

Body Project -- I saw you mentioned those already. Some are WAY too intense for me, but they have lots of low impact, uncomplicated workouts at the beginner and intermediate levels. And you don't have to be super coordinated, which works for me!

HASfit is another favorite of mine

I'm trying to get into a workout routine. Going to try for after work each day at 5:15.

4. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

wonder where one could get simple safe exercise for someone 72 lb and muscles all waste, I don't want hurt something by trying a movement, being so frail.. (after i get better, the store can sure keep the enchures, Im drinking but, if i no need i sure wouldn't after how many i've had.

5. LynnG

LynnG Designer

Never Stop Dancing NZ (online classes) from here in NZ. Bonus Kiwi accent as well as wonderful smiles from teacher Virginia. So much fun. :-)

bestcee likes this.
  6. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

@Cath_ Obviously, consult a doctor before a fitness program to make it safe for you, I'm not one.

My mother in law likes to use senior workouts on YouTube. No particular one, she just searches "Senior Workout" and picks one that the instructor catches her eye. Some are chair based, others are light standing motions. They are typically really low impact. She's on the frailer side, and has limited strength. Our senior center also has a workout class she likes to attend. Maybe if you have a senior center you can check with them? Even if you don't go, they may be able to recommend something.

Cath_ likes this.
  7. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

ty, wonderful ideas, and nice know i not only one

8. Aerobigirl

Aerobigirl Well-Known Member

Do you need supervised exercise, @Cath_ ? Or would you be OK on your own if you found the right program?

Supervised exercise recommendation: One of the pilates studios I work for is owned by a physical therapist and has physical therapists on staff, as well as 4 senior instructor trainers for Stott Pilates. They use pilates to help people heal, then move, then train. (I'm not trying to self-promote here, as I'm not a physical therapist and thus wouldn't refer you to myself but to someone more trained than me). After initial consult, which could be online, you could take their online classes with instructors who specialize in pilates and yoga for individuals needing a little extra attention and care with their exercise. I'm sure there are other pilates studios with particular focus on rehabilitation and healthy aging with group classes of smaller size.

Unsupervised exercise recommendation: Zumba Gold, particularly Zumba Gold Toning. Thousands of instructors, literally globally. Standing or seated. Live via Zoom, or there is pre-recorded access for instructors who use Zumba's pre-recording options. Gold Toning uses one pound hand weights for muscular endurance. If this is an area of interest for you, I can probably recommend someone as I'm connected in this community (teacher trainer with access to global teacher trainers).

Lime likes this.
  9. omlialie

omlialie Well-Known Member

Just passing by...

During the pandemic, my maximum weight was 61kg. I'm a small person hahaha! So that weight was already a burden for me. Then I pushed myself to work out. 2021 made me realize that it is possible to lose weight. So I reached out to friends who are into fitness as well. They allowed me to push and keep going. I've been following Chloe Ting for a year. I'm suffering from hormonal imbalance as well. I have been on a hiatus for a month now because we relocated, so hopefully, I will get back on track again.

Now I'm down to 47kg. Not bad right? :agree

10. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

Keep those bodies moving!!!!

[​IMG]

11. meganmecrazy

meganmecrazy Caution: Randomly Breaks Out into Show tunes

Kissing Bart burns calories, right?

omlialie and michelepixels like this.
  12. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I had this thread bookmarked for many months and this morning I finally went through and checked out all the suggestions. I subscribed to 8 YouTube channels! :D I'm already an avid hiker and have been walking every day for a decade (my friend and I regularly walk/hike several miles every Saturday morning). But when I started working a full time job, that severely impacted the amount of time left for exercise, especially in this cold half of the year. So in October I joined a gym, Planet Fitness. It was my first time ever joining a gym and I used to scoff at them, preferring the great outdoors, but I was determined to have my walks first thing in the morning (instead of after work just before sunset when I'm tired because I'm on my feet a lot all day). What a joy it is to get a good workout before sunrise inside a warm building! Plus, I'd been thinking for a long time that I'd like to try a little weight lifting to counteract the loss of muscle that happens naturally with aging (I'm 51.)

But yoga is another thing I've been wanting to try for years. I don't know why it has taken me so long to explore that option. Well, the pandemic made me not want to go to a class. But why didn't I think of YouTube? I watch other stuff on YouTube frequently! Then I joined a small group of teachers at my school for "Wellness Wednesdays" this fall and a couple of times we've done yoga. I was amazed by how much it works the muscles!

Now thanks to those of you who shared in this thread, I have a few YouTube channels to try. Besides yoga, I'm also interested in the aerobic workout channels. I enjoyed aerobic dance for my tenth grade p.e. choice, way back in the 1980's. I think the only hurdle I have left to jump (ha ha) is setting up a place in my house for exercise.

Question : Do I need a yoga mat if I find my carpet comfy?

Thanks everyone who shared in this thread!

elseepe likes this.
  13. elseepe

elseepe I'll follow the sun

I guess it depends on what type of yoga -- and how much you might start to sweat or if your hands/feet slip in certain poses. But, if the carpet is working, then I'd say you're good with that.

michelepixels likes this.