*Closed-Winner Announced * Color Theory | Summer School 2022 Week 6 - STEM | Challenge and Tutorial

Discussion in 'Summer School 2022' started by ArmyGrl, Jul 25, 2022.

1. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

Welcome to Summer School Week 6:
    Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math

COLOR THEORY

THE CHALLENGE:

Create a layout with a monochromatic color scheme and/or create a layout with an analogous color scheme. A monochromatic color scheme uses only one hue (color). An analogous color scheme uses three to four colors that reside next to each other on the color wheel.

The background for either layout may be a neutral color including tan (beige, taupe), brown, grey, white (off-white, cream) or black (grey-black, blue-black). But you could also keep with your monochromatic color – or – a color from your analogous palette.

The monochromatic or analogous color scheme may contain shades, tints, and tones of your chosen hues.

You may use a few neutral accents and embellishments. However, the monochromatic or analogous color scheme should be obvious!

If you use photo(s) they may be in black/white or color (pictures are excluded from your monochromatic or analogous color schemes).

My eyes see differently than yours. My computer screen may depict colors differently than yours. Thus, please tell me what hues (colors) you used (please and thank you!).

Prize:
    One lucky person that completes at least one layout (either monochromatic or analogous) will win a $3 coupon to The Lilypad store. One lucky person that completes two layouts (one monochromatic + one analogous) will win a $10 coupon to The Lilypad store.

Color Theory Tutorial
    Please watch this video: Color Theory Basics by Sarah Renae Clark (6:57 min)

After the video you should be able to:
    • Identify primary, secondary, and tertiary colors.
    • Describe how to add a tint, tone, or shade to a hue.
    • Identify warm versus cool color temperatures.
    • Create a layout with a monochromatic color harmony.
    • Create a layout with an analogous color harmony.

EXERCISE:

1. Identify primary, secondary, and tertiary colors.
    Which letter corresponds to primary colors, secondary colors, and tertiary colors?

1. ColorChallenge1.jpg
    Answers:
    Primary colors = B
    Secondary colors = A
    Tertiary colors = C

Discussion:
    Primary colors are red, yellow, and blue.

Secondary colors are made my combining two of the primary colors.
    Red + Yellow = Orange
    Yellow + Blue = Green
    Blue + Red = Purple

There are six tertiary colors. Tertiary colors are made by combining one primary color with one secondary color. From the example above -
    Red + Orange = Red-orange
    Yellow + Green = Yellow-green
    Red + Purple = Red-purple or magenta

2. Identify tint, tone, and shade.
    Which letter corresponds to tinting? to adding tone? to shading?

3. TineToneShade copy.jpg
    Answers:
    A = Tinting
    B = Tone
    C = Shading

Discussion:
    Tint is the addition of white to a hue.
    Tone is the addition of grey to a hue.
    Shade is the addition of black to a hue.

3. Identify cool colors versus warm colors.
    Which color(s) are cool? Warm?
    4. Warm v Cold.jpg
    Answers:
    Pink (red-violet) = warm.
    Neon green = cool.
    Purple = cool.

Discussion:
    As we learned in the video, colors are categorized as warm or cool. BUT, a warm color can have cool undertones and a cool color can have warm undertones.

Red is a warm color. Add a few drops of blue, the undertones start to become cool. Red is still classified as a warm color, however. As more blue is added, the hue becomes red-violet. As we see in the color wheel below, this color is categorized as warm.

Neon green is a good example of how a cool color can have warm undertones. The neon green has a lot of yellow in it giving it an almost warm glow. The base color is green however, and that is categorized as cool.

[​IMG]

4. Now it’s time to put these lessons to use. Create a layout with a monochromatic color scheme and/or an analogous color scheme.

Challenge (re-cap):
    - Tints, tones, and shades of your chosen hue(s) are acceptable.
    - Your background color may be neutral or within your color harmony.
    - A monochromatic color scheme uses one hue (but you can vary the tine, tone, and shade).
    - An analogous color scheme uses three – four hues that reside next to each other on the color wheel.
    - Photos are allowed (but not necessary). Your photo does not have to match your color scheme. But extra credit if it does!!!
    - One lucky person will win a $3 coupon for completing one layout. One lucky person will win a $10 coupon for completing two layouts (one monochromatic and one analogous).

Example Monochromatic Layout:
    [​IMG]

Discussion: This layout I created represents the limit of the challenge. The "monochromatic" color is teal. The background paper is white with lots of neutral tan. I blended a paper that was white and teal into the background paper. The amount of neutral tan is in equal proportions to teal...so this layout is BARELY what I would call monochromatic. But the intent is there. Elements are predominately teal. Yes, there is a bit of green in the teal flower. When I look at the flower I say it is teal with a touch of green. This acceptable in your layouts too. The key is an alternative color should only be a "touch" and should not overpower the layout. I encourage you to be creative in your layouts and stretch the limits if you so wish. Summer School is not about strict rules, but to provide inspiration and direction.

Examples of analogous colors:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Layout using a violet-red-orange analogous color scheme:
    [​IMG]

Discussion: I was intrigued with the purple and orange colors in this month's BYOC and wondered if the orange was "orange enough" to create an analogous color scheme. Using Photoshop's color picker, I compared the orange in Lynn's kit with the orange from the diagram. Close enough! The kit's orange is the lighter of the two oranges below. And yes, many of the purples are very dark - shades of purple. This goes into, "yes, you can use tints, tones, and shades of your chosen hues."

Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 6.06.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 6.10.18 PM.png

Selectively using colors in a layout is challenging, yet fun! I do hope you enjoyed this tutorial and have even more fun making your layouts.

Please tag me @ArmyGrl if you have any questions about the Color Theory Challenge.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
    Angela Toucan and umyesh like this.
  2. Janisn

Janisn Well-Known Member

Here's my monochromatic - VIOLET
    [​IMG]

and here is Analogous using yellow-orange/yellow-green/blue-green
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
  3. Annsofie

Annsofie Crime Books & Cozy Nooks

I hope this layout meets the requirements for the monochromatic challenge.
    [​IMG]
    A
    nd here is my try at the Analogous challenge with Blue - Blue green - green

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
  4. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

monochromatic color scheme
    [​IMG]

a second with orange - yellow - green
    [​IMG]

5. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

thank you for the colour theory notes.
    Monochromatic - Dusty Pink
    [​IMG]
    Analogous - Yellow Green, Yellow, Yellow Orange, Orange.
    [​IMG]

6. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

Analogous: red, orange, yellow
    [​IMG]

7. wvsandy

wvsandy Grinning Granny

Thank you so much for the tutorial you prepared for us. It's a great reference!
    Monochrome: blue, white & a touch of neutral
    [​IMG]

8. ArmyGrl

Thank you all for playing along. I'll announce the coupon winners ASAP!

***Challenge Closed***

9. ArmyGrl

Congratulations to the lucky winners of the Color Theory challenges:

The $3 coupon winner is @wvsandy.
    The $10 coupon winner is @Angela Toucan

PM's sent.

:cheer

umyesh likes this.
  10. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

11. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

Congratulations Sandy and Angela!