* Ask a Designer *

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Sara, Aug 1, 2022.

1. Sara

Sara Riding in the Neil mobile

Have any questions or curiosities about our design team, their backstories, or their creative process and experiences?

Ask here and the Lilypad designers will pop in to answer. You can pose general questions for any designer to answer or you can pose questions to a specific designer (be sure to tag them) as you hope to get to know the team a little better! :beat

caveats: this thread will only be open from time to time. And because our designer corps are busy creating products and projects, they may not be available to answer right away.

2. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

3. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

i always wanted to know there eariler designer names. not store or blog, just there past names

4. Becca Bonneville

Becca Bonneville Oh my God Becky

This is a fun one! Before switching to being under my own name, I designed under the name Tickled Pink Studio.

5. Sara

My very first design name was Zinnias & Swallowtails. Of course it had backstory (I love love butterfly gardening) and I still love it, but it was a bit cumbersome in terms of branding. So now it's just my name and associated story brand of Plant Your Story.

6. Cath_

7. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

I would like to address this to any designer: What do you do to keep your creativity up to come up with different kits so often?

8. Cath_

Thank you

bellbird and Becca Bonneville like this.
  9. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I've always been Scrapping with Liz...for over 12 years!

I design templates, and I usually think about how I want to scrap my photos when I'm designing templates. Sometimes I'll get inspiration from patterns I see around in my day-to-day life.

10. Cath_

Thank you, I been with you all them years... wonderful templates and misc. from bog to stores, to here and following you additions to your family. Hugs

11. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I've always been Fiddle-Dee-Dee Designs! Twelve years and counting!

I love looking through galleries of both traditional paper scrappers as well as digi scrappers if I need inspiration. Most of the time, I'm inspired by my own layouts I've created. Other times there's a cool look to a background or a shape or something that I see in galleries, magazines, or online stores (clothing, home decor, etc.) that I feel drawn to reproduce. I freely admit that sometimes I lack creativity, but I blame my chronic health conditions or personal life issues for that most of the time.

12. Cath_

ty, wow, think i might have started scrapping in 2007 or 8

gonewiththewind likes this.
  13. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I started digi scrapping in August 2007 after I had paper scrapped since 1996. I started designing templates in February 2010. :)

14. Becca Bonneville

Becca Bonneville Oh my God Becky

For me, inspiration comes from all over the place. Sometimes is it just a mood I am feeling, sometimes I just want to draw a certain critter and make a whole collection around it hehe. (this is how Simple Life came to fruition, I wanted to draw chickens haha) Then I have the usual places where a lot of us get inspired from home decor, patterns, or vibes out in the wild.

15. LynnG

LynnG Designer

I've learned that creativity isn't a limited resource ;-) So if I am struggling to start a new design project, I know it's just a temporary block rather than that I've run out of creativity!

[​IMG]

So I usually go for a walk and listen to music or take photos, and somewhere along the way an idea will pop into my head!

Parameters around a project REALLY help! So the set colour palettes for BYOC and that Rachel and I use for the 'Hear my Voice' collections take away some of the decision making. I think that's why challenges are so great for scrappers too. :-)

16. ForeverJoy

ForeverJoy Swimming in the big tank

I've always been ForeverJoy Designs :beat but I use my name, Renne Looney for Print design projects.

17. ForeverJoy

ForeverJoy Swimming in the big tank

:giggle I think the secret to staying creative is to give yourself permission to take a break!

18. Cath_

Ty, wow, you one busy lady, having two jobs

19. Sara

My creativity comes in ebbs and flows and the best thing for it was for me to realize that it was ok to step back in pause if I didn't have the bandwidth. But even when not being able to be as active here on the TLP front, I did always have other projects in the works. And my creativity is revitalized through music, nature, through memory *making* with my loved ones.

20. Rachel Jefferies

Rachel Jefferies Designer

I used to design as 'Captivated Visions' up until 2017 (I think?!)

Sara likes this.