Meeting Scrappers in Public??

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by dotcomkari, Jul 25, 2022.

1. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

That's so cool @dotcomkari ! I've never been recognized out in the wild. :giggle

I have met TONS of digiscrappers at conventions and meet-ups. I would really love to be able to do that again, but travel is very hard right now with my current chronic pain situation. That's why I'm so very grateful that the internet exists and I can still have socialization with my fellow scrappers!

jk703, bestcee and Memaw2Wm like this.
  2. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

So fun, Kari! Many many years ago, the owner of another digiscrap site that I didn't even participate in would have crops at her house about 20 minutes from me, so I went to a few of those. I didn't even have a laptop to bring, so I basically just went to hang out and talk digiscrap with people who got it. LOL I met a few people who I recognized form other forums, but it's been so long that I don't remember who they were now. :)

3. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I’ve met @bcgal00 at a scrapbooking retreat in Vancouver, BC when we both paper scrapped but never met anyone out in the wild so to speak.

4. norton94

norton94 Thank goodness I'm still a Well-Known Member

I have intentionally met scrap friends but never just from my avatar :D that's hilarious @dotcomkari

jk703 and Karen like this.
  5. tanteva

tanteva Even the professionals are bewildered

There are so few digiscrappers in Sweden, so I've never met anyone. I have met one person I met on-line on a Swedish cardmaking & scrapbooking board, that's it. I live like in the middle of nowhere, with no driving license, I guess people would have to drop down on my porch for me to meet them. LOL

6. Aerobigirl

Aerobigirl Well-Known Member

By coincidence, just a few scrapbookers and rubber stampers. My avatar is old so i don't think anyone would recognize me from my avatar. But I do get recognized in person from people who have seen my fitness videos; the magenta hair color makes me stand out in most crowds unless I'm at Zumba convention and then i blend right in, lolololol.

On purpose, quite a few. I got close to 11 other rubber stampers in the late 1990's from all parts of the US plus an artist from Iceland in a yahoo group. From that group, I've met 7 in person. Great adventures all over the country. I haven't been to Iceland yet, though.

norton94 likes this.
  7. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

I met up with Charity @stormchaser for coffee a year or so! It was super fun! We live really close here in the PNW. I would love a PNW meet up- I think there's quite a few of us!

SeattleSheri likes this.
  8. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

Long ago there was a small meetup for scrappers on another site that doesn't exist anymore, Scrapbook Bytes. 2005, I think? I went to that and met a few people who are still around, but it was a lunch get together at a restaurant so I didn't get to know anyone well enough to stay in touch. I love the idea of a Mid-Atlantic gathering or crop! (Well--really a DC area or Virginia gathering. I don't think I could make time for something longer than a day right now.)

jk703 likes this.
  9. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I went to a big expo in Utah way too many years ago and met some digiscrappers, including @gonewiththewind, @Kristin Aagard, and @Lena Gardner . And of course I met @EHStudios when she came to Vegas (I can't believe that was 4 years ago!) That was super fun! @Pachimac Susan and I wanted to make plans to meet but sadly, the pandemic interfered and then I moved. I've met some other people too. I used to go to an every other month digi crop and met some peeps there too as well as some Utah based designers.

I went to the paperscrapping side of the expo a few times too, and met some peeps from twopeas, and such. It's neat to me now to see how much my scrapping has changed when I think back to those days.

@Memaw2Wm I don't know all the details because I didn't arrange it, but we held our Digi night at Hilton's. We'd get the conference room from 6-11 or so, and we could bring our own snacks. They set up tables and chairs for us along with water pitchers. It must have been pretty reasonably priced because I know I paid about $10-$12/scrap. And some fabulous designers donated prizes so we got to win prizes and we got a free kit when we went. I know they had to commit to 6 reservations, which is why we did it bi-monthly. And 1 Saturday was $20 because they would get the room from like 10am to 11pm or something like that. But still bring your own snacks and such. It could be because they didn't have catering? IDK. I used to arrange scraps at Residence Inn Marriott when I paper scrapped. We got the room free if it was last minute (as in arranged the week before) because Nick worked there. They never made regular groups order catering or anything.

gonewiththewind likes this.
  10. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I've not met any IRL but that would be so cool. The odds of that happening for me are almost nil though b/c I live in a small city so there isn't much chance another scrapper will be here.

11. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I went to 2 conventions in Vegas. Did I meet you? I met so many people it was a whirlwind.

We've had a local get together and I met @AmandaJ - We should do that again!

One day my family and I were shopping in Atlanta and I heard someone saying, "Liz - Scrapping with Liz!?!" I turned around and it was a fellow scrapbooker & customer. She recognized me because of my kids...she sees my pages on Instagram. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been recognized except for my kids. LOL!

jk703 likes this.
  12. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I went to 2 conventions in Vegas. Did I meet you? I met so many people it was a whirlwind.

We've had a local get-together and I met @AmandaJ - We should do that again!

One day my family and I were shopping in Atlanta and I heard someone saying, "Liz - Scrapping with Liz!?!" I turned around and it was a fellow scrapbooker & customer. She recognized me because of my kids...she sees my pages on Instagram. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been recognized except for my kids. LOL!

13. bestcee

Nope, sadly. It was the Utah one.

14. bestcee

I can't remember how long you lived in your last city, but I lived near you in Pitt Meadows for almost a year back in the 1990's! LOL. My mom was more the scrapper then, but you never know! It could happen....:giggle

15. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

You never know!

I also live in a small city but it is where I was introduced to scrapping. A friend had a Creative Memories home party and I was hooked. Ended up scrapping with a small group from here several times a year for a few years. Ironically the friend that had the party never got into it like I did. I found an online forum that had a lot of CM scrappers from all over and a group (is that what they were called?) on AOL for CM consultants. Some people were members of both the AOL and the online forum. I left AOL and the online forum eventually became another forum and that's where I met a lot of other scrappers. There have been many retreats all over the country happening because of that forum. And, we even did a cruise in 2010. With scrappers and family members we had over 40 people in our group on that cruise! Some are online friends but some are real life friends. A couple of the girls that live an hour away even came to the funeral home when my father passed away. The small group an hour from me used to get together about every other month but with life changes both family and jobs and then the pandemic, we got away from it. We did that for about 5 or 6 years.

I'm so thankful that I chose to get out of my comfort zone and go to that first retreat even though it was just a stop in visit since I met some good people that day in 2005.

Memaw2Wm likes this.
  16. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

Very cool! I know someone else that had this happen to them too. I've only intentionally met other scrappers and designers in-person :)

17. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

Back when Scrapbook-Bytes still existed and I was on the design team there, we hosted a digital scrapping conference (with a few other sites, too, I think?) so I met dozens of scrappers there.

I've also helped plan a Midwest weekend get-together in Indianapolis where there were 15ish of us, a going-away party at someone's house with a dozen or so scrappers, a meet-up in Chicago with 12-13 scrappers, flew across the country to visit a scrapper & her daughter for 2 weeks, moved across the country and lived in a scrapper's basement for a couple months with my then-husband and my kids while we were starting over, met up with @Lena Gardner a few times, stayed a long weekend with a couple scrappers and visited DC together...

I have never, however, been fangirled by a scrapper before. That would be amazing! :)

18. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

I've never had a stranger recognize me out and about. Maybe because, although I do wear glasses, I'm not green and don't have a book on my head.

In my years of hanging out in scrapbook forums, I have been to retreats all over the US and met many scrapbook friends from the same forum referred to by @HavaDrPepper (who I've met) and @Memaw2Wm (who I haven't yet had the pleasure to meet). In fact, every March (except for 2 Covid years) friends from that forum meet for a long weekend at a retreat house near Eau Claire, WI. We celebrated our 15th retreat together in 2022. (Let me know if you're interested. We almost always have room available.)

3 weeks ago, my husband and I flew to Vancouver for a cruise to Alaska. A friend from that old forum that I've never met in person before picked us up at the airport, toured us around Vancouver, had dinner with us, and then took us to our hotel. The next day we had dinner with another forum friend that I'd met at a TX retreat. Friendships made online can be amazing!

19. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

I met someone from a craft forum I used to be part of at a charity craft fair. Was nice to chat a bit over a cuppa.

bestcee likes this.
  20. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I met a lot of peeps in Vegas for another site's weekend scrap meet up! I loved it... but was also very timid, quiet and not my usual self. It takes me a while to be comfortable. I was also at a stage in my life with less confidence. It was actually amazing that I made that trip by myself. I think that was the beginning of my realizing that I'm capable, smart, and there is no need to worry what everyone things.

I've also met up with Jan @QuiltyMom in Va. A quick lunch. Again, I was super nervous and probably not myself. But, I had a lot of fun!

Now... I think I would have more of a blast cause I could really be myself. I'm east coast if anyone does put together something! :)

Karen likes this.