Day Trips | Pad Patter 6.19

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Jun 19, 2022.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Chance and I are headed out on a day trip tomorrow. His 17th birthday is on Tuesday and that's what he wants to do. His favorite thing in the world is history, so last year we went to the National D-Day Memorial in Bedford, VA and this year we are headed to Monticello in Charlottesville, VA. We've taken quite a few other day trips in recent years...Pittsburgh to a baseball game, Gatlinburg, TN to the aquarium, Charlotte, NC to Top Golf and Carowinds amusement park, and a few others.

We have a bit of a road trip routine. We stop first thing at a gas station/convenience store to fill up the car and grab some snacks and drinks. Then we'll either see the sites and grab a big dinner somewhere nice before we head home, or we'll see a few things, eat, and then see more.

Do you do day trips often?
    Do you have any planned this summer?
    Any day trip must haves?

bestcee likes this.
  2. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Ooooooo Monticello!!! Hubs and I went there when in college ( engaged) with our touring singing group. It is a beautifully historic place!!
    We LOVE day trips. We are working up one to the mountains, but that may turn into 3 days. And another to Georgetown' Hopsewee Plantation- land of the Gullah Geechees - where I will be taking a basket making class. FUN!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  3. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Those trips sound amazing, Jan!! Enjoy!! We do some day trips here. We're going to go to where Route 66 joins our state, later this summer. I've never been on Route 66 and although we won't go all the way, I can say I've been on it.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  4. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

That sounds like so much fun! I love that you guys do these day trips together AND that your son loves history! We don't often do day trips anymore, not we are more of weekend trips that sound kinda similar to your day trips. We like to pick new state campgrounds in our state and then explore the unique places to visit around the area... so I guess we do a couple day trips in a row with a campground as home base. :giggle We are heading up to Northern Michigan this weekend to a new campground that we haven't stayed in before and it's right near the Mackinaw bridge, so we'll probably end up on Mackinac Island for a day among exploring some new hiking trails in the area. I'm really looking forward to it!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  5. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

I don't really do day trips these days, but in the past I'd drive my kids to Rohobeth Beach/Ocean City for the day. Living just outside of DC we've been to many of the sights in Northern VA — Mount Vernon, Sully Plantation, Claude Moore Colonial Farm, etc.; in DC — Smithsonian, National Building Museum, National Mall, National Geographic Museum; and Baltimore, MD — Maryland Science Center, the historic ships in the harbor (I spent the night with my grandson's cub scout pack on the USS Constellation and discovered that sleeping in a hammock was not for me).

IntenseMagic likes this.
  6. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Hubs is happy to stay home a lot but I like to grab my camera and head out for hours, driving to different areas, then going hiking for hours. It's even more fun now b/c we live in a new area where everything is unknown and fun to explore. Soon I want to take a day trip to Sun Peaks, a ski resort that is not too far and take a ride up to the top of the mountain and go exploring. The wildflowers should be in full bloom soon and should be pretty to photograph.

Nemla and IntenseMagic like this.
  7. jaye

jaye My other car is a Zamboni!

I love day trips. Last year I drove 2 hours to go to a conservation area/provincial park that had a dog beach. Harlow had a blast running up and down, in and out of the water. I loved it because I didn't have to watch for people or worry about her being off leash.

My mom has one planned for us when I get finished work for the summer, only about an hour and half up the road, but two places she would like to visit.

Hoping to do a few others but I have a big holiday coming up that I have poured my money into so I have to find fun at home, lol.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  8. IntenseMagic

How cool is that! I bet the basket making class will be so fun! I can't believe that as many times as I've been in that area that I don't think I've heard of Hopsewee Plantation. I am definitely going to check in to it when we are down that way later in July.

Chance just said not to long ago that he wants to go travel Route 66. Sound so fun!

I love a good weekend trip, too. We did one of those a month or so ago. I say every year that we need to hit up some of the campgrounds not too far from here, but we never seem to get to it. Your trips sound like so much fun!!

Karen likes this.
  9. IntenseMagic

Chance wants to go back to DS so badly! He went on a school trip a few years ago and asks me ever year when we can go back. He wants to hit all the museums. I'd rather not drive and try to find my way around, so we're looking in to taking the train at some point. He would love all the places you mentioned!

Oooh the trip to the ski resort sounds sooo fun! Exploring new places is the best!!

That dog beach sounds like so much fun!
    We found lots of fun in our own town during quarantine and tried out lots of new hiking and walking spots.

10. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I like day trips. We don't do them often. If we do take a day it's for hiking, creek play, and a picnic. With so many kids we usually pack a lunch and head out. Actually, anytime we go on vacation we pack as much food as possible. LOL. Sometimes, if it's a long hike we'll bribe the kids with the promise of ice cream on the way home if they don't complain.

11. Memaw2Wm

I almost always take the Metro into DC as I hate driving downtown and parking is a huge pain. There's a Metro station within a mile or so of my house, so we drive there, then hop a train.

12. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

I used to do day trips more often - like at least once a quarter to a favorite place from Botanical Gardens to Art Museums to Baseball Games to visiting State Capitols or places of history or wine tours. When I was in San Antonio, life was extremely busy - working full time and working on a Master's Degree meant very little time for pleasure. Life pretty much ceased to exist except for walks in the neighborhood green-space (thank God for that space!). After Master's was complete, COVID kicked in and life did not cease to be extraordinary busy. I worked CRAZY hours! Then, prepping for retirement and moving to Missouri kicked in. All that being said, I am getting back to a place where I CAN take day trips again. Missouri is wonderful. There are spectacular parks in Illinois too. One thing I really, really want to do is drive along the Mississippi River from St. Louis, MO towards the Pere Marquette Park, IL. The second is shopping and enjoying the old MO vibe of St. Charles with its antiques, arts, and cafes. I need to go on an ephemera hunt there!

Memaw2Wm likes this.
  13. dotcomkari

dotcomkari The Deaf Superstar

We do a crap ton of road trips here and there a lot of spur of the moment things not truly planned. My best friend and I are planning a trip to the twin cities around the fourth though as a like beastie get away weekend

14. ArmyGrl

Ah! I was born in D.C. and native to the Ft. Washington area of Maryland. I have not been back for 24 years so I know the blueprint has changed. But gosh - you bring back memories with everything you wrote about. :heartlub

Memaw2Wm likes this.
  15. Memaw2Wm

I was born in DC too ... Columbia Hospital for Women ... but came home to Northern VA where I've lived most of my life, except for 15 months in Germany and 2 years at Fort Meade, MD.

16. ArmyGrl

I'm a Providence Hospital baby! I do not meet too many people that were actually born in D.C. I think its super cool!!

17. Memaw2Wm

My great-grandfather was; his daughter; my grandmother was; her son (my dad) was; I was; as well as both of my children. A few of my sisters' kids were born in DC too.