I've been a bit quiet because.....

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by littlekiwi, Nov 17, 2021.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I'm glad that things seem to be getting better. Dementia is so hard because it's hard to know what's actually true, and what is perception. Sharon tells people all sorts of stories that aren't true. I know she perceives things that way, but perception isn't truth. Today, she thought we left her alone because Matthew was in the basement, and Nick and I had on headphones on the main level. She was upstairs in her room, but since it was quiet figured we all left. Sigh.

2. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Well it seems things have really turned a corner, my mum went and saw her between Christmas & New Year (I couldn't go for obvious health reasons) and she was in really good spirits, there were a few upset phone calls while nothing much was happening at the residence between Christmas and sort of the first full week in January but since then I've hardly heard from her or any of my family regarding her care/wellbeing. She's not making any more threats, demanding to go "home" or destroying her art work she has done over the years like she was at the start of the transition. The facility manager did say it can take 4-6 weeks to adjust and she's now been there two and a half months. Last week she had said she had managed to book a seat on the bus to go do some grocery shopping which she hadn't done up until very recently - she doesn't get breakfast provided yet as we decided she could still do that at the moment and it gives her some independence in what she does/has so I assume thats what she went out for.

bestcee likes this.
  3. littlekiwi

Well it’s been 6 months now and things have settled down considerably. Yesterday the secondhand store picked up furniture we didn’t want to keep and today we are doing the final move of furniture that my mum and I are taking along with some family bits and then the house can be rented out so it’s nice to be able to close this chapter hopefully and get some rental income to offset the retirement village fees.

gonewiththewind and KimJ like this.
  4. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I hope you get it rented out quickly so that the financial burden can be offset. It's so hard to make these changes in life. I think of you often and pray for you and your family!

5. littlekiwi

it’s only been up for rent for two weeks so still early days. Not sure it will end up renting at the price it’s set at - that’s the opinion of my mum and I but we weren’t involved in any of the house side of things so we will see what happens. Luckily my grandmother has been financially prudent and done investments over the years so we aren’t in dire straits yet in terms of covering costs.

gonewiththewind and BevG like this.