September 2022 Book Club - Black Cake

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by Karen, May 16, 2022.

1. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Yahoo! We have another round of voting completed and we have another batch of great books to read together. After voting was complete we were able to narrow the list down to four top books. I always love adding great books to my To Read list! :agree

The book for September is Black Cake by Charmaine Wilkerson. I moved this book to the last of our four new books since it's the newest and I wanted everyone to have time to get it from the library if needed. :D Feel free to read our book club books in any order that you choose and when you've finished reading, come back here and tell us what you think. Please label spoilers. We have a new trick for hiding spoilers. Type whatever you want and then highlight the spoiler portion and click the + button above and select Spoiler. If that doesn't work (seems to be funky on Macs) just highlight your text and change the color to white >>>This is a super secret spoiler alert!<<< like I did right there.

I love getting new book suggestions from my reading buddies here at TLP!

[​IMG]

Just a note, anyone is welcome to join in with our book club reading at any time and join in the discussion! The more the merrier! :agree Happy reading!

sm_amber and Vrielinkie like this.
  2. plumdumpling

plumdumpling CT - Krista Sahlin

Good pick!
    An abundance of secrets which usually makes for some good reading. There is so much packed into this novel. I feel like it had a bit of a slow start, but by the end things are happening. I think my favorite part was when Benny is talking about how family recipes need to be adapted to fit the day's norms. Sometimes I feel a bit of guilt about making gluten free kolaczki for my own family, but what worked in the past isn't always going to work for the present. It's okay to adjust and change for the present needs and for the future. That goes far beyond recipes.

Karen likes this.
  3. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

Another one I loved! I rated 4 stars, read in March.
    My favorite parts are when it was discovered that Covey & Gibbs reinvented themselves into Bert & Eleanor- Byron & Benny's parents and the very end when you find out it was Bunny who had stolen the poison bottle that Pearl used for the cake and had used it to poison Little Man's champagne! SO many twists & turns and a lot of characters, so I really had to pay attention to this one, but I still loved it!

Karen likes this.
  4. Karen

Man! You guys are good! I'm really looking forward to reading this one. I put it on hold and I think I have to wait about 16 weeks. Hopefully I'll get it a bit sooner, or maybe I'll have to get the paper version from the actual library. I usually wait for the kindle versions from the e-library. :agree

5. sm_amber

sm_amber I learn from the best..

I'm on hold at my library, too! Can't wait!

Karen likes this.
  6. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

It's worth the wait! I loved this book!

Karen likes this.
  7. Karen

8. Karen

We just read this for my IRL book club and I had forgotten that it was a pick here too! I enjoyed it. I started jotting down notes about who was who and tried to figure out the "twist" before the end. :giggle There were lots of twists and back story in this one!