May 2022 - Week Three Monthly Muse

Discussion in 'Art Journaling' started by ArmyGrl, May 17, 2022.

1. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

Welcome to Week Three of the May Monthly Muse where we continue to explore senses with a twist – Synesthesia!

For the month of May, I’d like us to explore synesthesia from a simplistic approach – think of it as the crossing of senses so that when one sees, they smell. When one hears, they taste…

Each week in the month of May, I invite you to explore one of the five senses – then use your imagination to cross wires, to experience synesthesia, and art journal about it.

This week, I took a literal approach to the challenge. According to the book Wine Folly (Puckette and Hammack) Cabernet Sauvignon may have earth flavors including wet gravel, graphite, pencil lead or clay dust. I was curious if I could pick up any of these flavors while sipping on a glass of Cab. The nerd I am, I also did a bit of looking into the sense of taste and found that there is “taste” – directly related and limited to the tongue and tastebuds and “flavor” – what the tongue and nose do together. So, it may be possible that the earthy flavors one senses in wine comes from two sense categories – smell and taste. And yes, one can stick their nose in a glass of wine and take a whiff. But the flavor of food and beverage is the result of molecules entering one’s nose through the nasopharynx (from the back of the mouth up into the nose).

4. Screen Shot 2022-05-16 at 4.08.02 PM.png
    So, my layout below is what I saw as I sipped my Cabernet Sauvignon: gravel roads, a cup of black tea, a bowl of blackberries. I detect black pepper too but could not find a graphic to represent black peppercorn other than the word pepper.

[​IMG]

Now it is you your turn. Chose a sense: vison, hearing, smell, taste, or touch. Then use your imagination to experience synesthesia. Create an art journal layout that represents your experience.

Challenge Requirements:

1. For the Monthly Muse, you may create any style of layout (i.e., clean and simple, artsy, pocket style etc.), with or without a photo. Create any size page you wish. The Art Muse is for everyone; have FUN!

2. You can use any products in The Lilypad store or retired products from current Lilypad designers, (just make sure you follow our gallery guidelines).

3. Please post your layout to the Art Journaling Gallery HERE by Midnight, 30 May 2022; and post your layout in this thread by copying the "Share BB Code" to the right of your gallery image.

Each post, regardless of the week posted in the month of May earns you one chance to win a $5 coupon to the TLP store. Thus,

1 Muse = 1 chance to win
    2 Muses = 2 chances to win
    3 Muses = 3 chances to win
    4 Muses = 4 chances to win

I can't wait to see where your senses take you this week!

2. ArmyGrl

ArmyGrl Merlot, Cab, Chard, Reisling - all 4 food groups!

As I am thinking ahead to next week, I know I want to listen to music and let that inspire me. Last night, as I was doing some stretching exercises, my eyes caught on a magazine with * Wellbeing * Creativity * Paper Art * Travel * Music * on the spine. The magazine is Calm, Issue 9, 2018. Today I reread the article The Sound of Music (no idea who the author of the article is) and came across an insert "Seeing, Smelling...Even Tasting Music." Ha! This is exactly what this month's theme is about! So a quote and ideas that may help get your creative juices flowing.

Wassily Kandisky, "Color is the keyboard, the eyes are the harmonies, the soul is the piano with many strings. The artist is the hand that plays, touching one key or another, to cause vibrations in the soul."
    YouTube (~10min):

Dana El Masri, perfumer. Ms. Dana meets with clients and develops perfumes based on their favorite songs.
    The Olfactive website: https://www.theolfactive.com/jazmine-sarii

Kyle Hanley, Chef. Hanley devised a 10 course tasting menu based on Radiohead's album Kid A.

Smwhite likes this.
  3. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Wow, this is deep. Can I tell you that I've always said something "smells like so and so tastes"? Nobody has totally understood what I'm trying to convey - "it smells like blank tastes". I'm not sure how to get this on a layout. I've always had a smell/taste connection and thought I was weird. I'm kind of in la-la land at the moment.:faint2

4. Janisn

Janisn Well-Known Member

I was inspired while sitting in Vet's office with Daisy stroking her ears to keep her calm.
    [​IMG]

5. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

Finally! I really chewed on this one this week and while I captured the "meat" of what I wanted to, the execution was not what I envisioned. Oh well.

[​IMG]

AJK likes this.
  6. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

I just HAD to include lemons somewhere this month:lol, so...
    [​IMG]
    Tasting lemons is like licking the sun with the texture of liquid gold.

Last edited: May 19, 2022
  7. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I can't eat eggs outside. They taste like a wet dog smells. :shrug

[​IMG]

Smwhite and AJK like this.
  8. Smwhite

Smwhite Well-Known Member