Salads | Pad Patter may 16

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by weaselwatchr, May 16, 2022.

1. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

What’s your favorite type of salad? Do you like Cobb salad? Something with all sorts of greens? Fruit salad?!

I am in the mood for one but not sure what I want to put on it.

2. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

I love salads! Almost everything! At a restaurant- I love a good cobb with all the fixin's or a Wedge salad with yummy blue cheese! If at home, I love the Costco Mediterranean & the Kale bag salad kits! I make a yummy red/white/blue one at the 4th of july too- spring mix, strawberries, feta & blueberries with a poppyseed dressing. MMMmmmm.... To be honest- I'm not sure if I have ever had a salad I didn't like... fruit, egg, macaroni, potato... etc etc! ;)

jk703 likes this.
  3. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I love salads....all kinds.

Tomato, Cucumber, Onion salad (just made this yesterday & ate leftovers today).
    Mixed Greens with red onions, roast squash or sweet potatoes, bacon, blue cheese, and honey vinaigrette (I've been making this almost every day recently).
    Spinach strawberry salad.
    BLT salad.
    Greek Salad.
    I could go on...

4. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I eat a heap of salads being gluten free, easier to avoid gluten.

Absolute fave would be home made potato salad.

If I’m not following a specific recipe I usually end roasting a whole heap of veggies with herbs/spices and garlic infused olive oil (can’t have actual garlic but can have garlic infused olive oil so sub garlic + olive oil for that), cooking some quinoa, adding some baby spinach, any spare plain cooked protein from dinners, adding other bits and pieces and then making a dressing (easier to avoid garlic if I make it myself). The “recipe” stays roughly the same but it’s truly a what’s in the fridge/pantry that needs using up!

5. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I eat a lot of salads. I like a homemade vinaigrette with greens, peppers, red onion and sometimes feta and fake bacon bits. I also like a slaw kind of salad with broccoli, cauliflower, bacon (fake for me), nuts and shredded cheese in a mayo/mustard/apple cider vinegar/sweetener/celery seed dressing.

6. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I'm a fan of salads, but I don't love getting all of the parts ready for one and never seem to eat it all before it goes bad. I love a good salad bar though where I can add what I like without any of the prep work! I usually like tiny chopped ham, chopped hard boiled egg, sunflower seeds and french dressing.

7. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I'm OK with salads. My problem is I'm hungry in less than an hour after eating one. They fill me up when I eat it but don't last. If I go out to eat I'll have applesauce instead of a salad since I'm there for the main part of the meal!

When I do eat one, it is usually just a green salad although I do like to add croutons, chow mein noodles, hard boiled egg (either sliced or chopped works) and red beets. Creamy French dressing or sometimes Ranch or Kraft Catalina dressing.

8. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

I have a Harris Teeter grocery store two blocks from my office, so I usually run over there and make a salad at their salad bar ... romaine lettuce, celery, bell peppers, cucumbers, grape tomatoes, hard-boiled egg slices, shredded cheddar, croutons and some grilled chicken strips for protein. Yum!!!

I also like potato salad, coleslaw, and various pasta salads.

9. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

I mostly don't like salad and eat it because it's good for me. I do occasionally run across a salad in a restaurant that I enjoy and always wonder what the magic is. The salads that I make that I like at home involve a combination of greens (not too bitter), fruit (apple/orange/berries), cheddar cheese and nuts.

10. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I love an easy salad. lol! Me prepping and making isn't as fun... so bags come into play.

I do love a spring mix salad with Dried cranberries, a nut/grain mix (like candied walnut pieces or a sunflower mix), gorgonzola cheese, sliced steak, and a balsamic glaze on top. You could take out the sweet cranberries/nut and put in tomato and mozza balls.

11. Dalis

Dalis Jose Cuervo is NOT a good friend

I love salads, but I am really picky. The greens need to be super fresh and crunchy! I love anything w/ fruits and nuts!

12. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Currently my favorite salads are from CAVA, my new favorite restaurant. https://cava.com/menu
    It's kind of the style of Chipotle, where you make many choices as you walk down the line. You can see all the choices that link, and maybe get some good ideas for salads at home. So nutritious and delicious!

13. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

My DD should sell her salad - I tell her that every time she serves it. She puts cranberries and nuts in hers - she caramelizes different nuts before she adds them to her salad. You can make a meal off her salad.

14. tanteva

tanteva Even the professionals are bewildered

When you say "salad" in English, do you mean a main course (or maybe a starter) or a side dish? This has always confused me, because it's the same word in Swedish, and I never know what people refer to when they say salad.

As a main course I love any salad with feta cheese, either classical Greek salad or maybe a pasta salad. I never follow a recipe for a main course salad, I just use whatever I have at hand. Feta, veggies, olives, and maybe some fruit.

As a side dish I love to make a salad called "Treveckorssallad", which means Three Week Salad, cuz it's alleged to keep for 2 weeks in the fridge. However ... I've never heard of anyone that's made it and it lasted that long. Found a similar recipe in English here:

https://popiscooking.com/pickled-three-week-salad-always-have-a-salad-at-hand/

It takes a bit of time to do, but then you have a salad for a couple of days. (Usually about a week in this house.)

15. Karen

It is confusing in English with "salad" In this case I think the post was referring to salads as either a main course or side to go with a meal that would involve lettuce as the base and then veggies and meats and toppings and dressings on top. BUT, there are also other "salads" that are completely different that are like potato salad (cooked potatoes, mayonnaise, hard boiled eggs, etc) , macaroni salad (cooked pasta, mayonnaise) , fruit salad (chopped up fresh fruit mixed together) and those all have nothing to do with lettuce. :giggle

tanteva likes this.
  16. tanteva

tanteva Even the professionals are bewildered

It IS a confusing word. We have potatissallad (potato salad) & fruktsallad (fruit sallad) in Swedish as well. And to top it all up ... the Swedish word for lettuce is ... you guessed it ... sallad. One word to cover it all.

Memaw2Wm and Karen like this.
  17. Karen

:giggle :stars

tanteva likes this.
  18. Sokee

Sokee What we do in life echoes in eternity

We love SALAD in our house and have it many times a week. I buy a large container (Costco) of mixed organic greens and usually packaged salads as they have 'cut up' salad to make it easier to make. The Dill Pickle Salad mix from Costco is a favorite! To change it up I will grill chicken or steak and slice it up on the salad. Chicken is usually marinated to what that salad theme is. I will prep cucumbers and hard boil eggs and have in the fridge ready to go.
    My husband's favorite is
    THAI CHICKEN SALAD
    grilled Chicken sliced thin, Lettuce, Carrots, Rice Noodles, Cucumbers, Bean Sprouts, Cilantro, Peanuts and Sesame Seeds Tossed with Thai Peanut Vinaigrette
    this is a little more involved to prepare because I do a quick pickle on the Cucumbers so well worth the extra time.

19. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

I long for the day when I say I'm in the mood for a salad. Surely then I will be a real true grown-up.

Karen and Memaw2Wm like this.