Well everything changes…..

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by littlekiwi, Jan 25, 2022.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Exactly, I’ve been lactose free for 11 years so making changes doesn’t bother me, it’s the currently not knowing what’s wrong/what changes need to be made.

2. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

Oh no, sorry you've been miserable, but glad to hear you might be able to get some answers!!! Big hugs!

3. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I hope the tests go well and they can finally get you some answers.

4. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Good Luck, Jennifer. Hoping the tests give you answers and then a path to feeling better!

5. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

6. littlekiwi

I'm currently awaiting the results of the blood tests, they've been delayed due to two long weekends in a row here which I was warned about. Unfortunately staying on gluten past the blood tests was not an option as even just one slice of low carb bread was causing me issues (I was mostly gluten free by ingredient the past two or so weeks as a bit of a trial to see how I felt but keeping either toast for breakfast or a sandwich for lunch using the low carb bread). I feel much better off it and my doctor supports me taking the same approach as I did with lactose (I'm not officially diagnosed as intolerant by medical professionals but I feel better without large quantities of lactose) and the worst of my symptoms has cleared up which is good. So I may not be officially gluten intolerant or celiac but I have decided its best for me to be gluten free given the way I've felt on more than one occasion now - explosive liquid diarrhea happening while sleeping, rock hard uncomfortable stomach and gas as well just to name the worst of what I have dealt with over the past 6-8 weeks. If I keep having gluten, I won't be able to go anywhere or lead a "normal" life which has been a major issue the past while and given I've just had two job interviews time is also of the essence to figure out a solution and what my new "normal" way of eating looks like

7. littlekiwi

Well 2 1/2 weeks in to gluten free and I’m feeling almost like a new woman - the explosive bowel issues have cleared up and some of the fatigue and brain fog has lifted. I’ve been super lucky that since I’ve gone GF, I’ve only had one night/day of feeling rotten and that could be linked to some handmade sausages from one of our grocery store’s butchery departments - there was labeling for the spice mixture (which was gluten free by ingredient) but no ingredient list for the rest of the sausages. We took a risk on it and it most likely didn’t pay off. Was relatively easy to figure out as everything for several days had been gluten free including the rest of that meal. Since then I’ve been fine - sure there’s some GF foods that are just horrible and I’m hungrier than I was pre gluten free so eating a lot more. Trying to make healthy choices though when I can so I don’t gain weight again.

8. littlekiwi

Well, the good times only lasted about two weeks unfortunately as I was still having some issues. There had been improvement in some ways but still things weren’t great. All I’d done is swap one very yucky situation happening every 3-4 days to a slightly less yucky situation happening constantly. Turns out rather than being gluten intolerant I actually have irritable bowel syndrome - not exactly surprised by it as my gut has always been a bit temperamental. Ended up having to do a Low FODMAP ‘diet’ to settle my gut and to figure out my trigger foods.So far I’ve had to eliminate lactose (which I knew about already), garlic (again I already knew about), ripe bananas, asparagus, Brussel Sprouts (had an inkling already that they caused issues for me), chicory root, inulin, wheat, barley, rye, oats (can still have oats if 1/2c or less per serve though), spelt, couscous.

Sara and rach3975 like this.
  9. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

I'm glad you finally have a real answer! Now that you have a list of foods to avoid, hopefully food won't make you feel so miserable anymore. You've been dealing with this for way too long!

bestcee likes this.
  10. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Glad you are finding answers, even if it's taken a longer amount of time.

11. paula kesselring

paula kesselring Designer

Jennifer, so glad that you finally got the answer!

12. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

With the changes in diet hopefully now you will start to feel better.

13. littlekiwi

definitely dealing with it way too long so now hopefully it won’t be so much a case of one step forward, two steps back most days.

rach3975 likes this.
  14. littlekiwi

Already starting to notice a difference but it’s only been a few days at this point but any progress in the right direction is worth it especially if it means I don’t feel so horrible all the time.

Memaw2Wm, Sara, bestcee and 1 other person like this.
  15. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Do you usually end up avoiding the whole family? Or just specific items in that family of vegetables/fruits?

I'm glad you are feeling a little better and finding some relief!

16. littlekiwi

Depends, some I can get away with just the specific food, others it’s the whole family

bestcee likes this.
  17. littlekiwi

Well there is some great news, the past three days I have felt the most normal that I have in the last 5 days. I ended up having to take processed gluten free bread out of my diet about 10 days ago as a manufacturer changed the recipe to include an ingredient/additive that creates havoc for my body.

gonewiththewind likes this.
  18. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Ah, Jennifer - it has been awhile since I have read this thread. I am happy you are feeling better. I have several family members with Crohn's. They too are having to determine which foods trigger an unhappy response. Hang in there as you adjust.

littlekiwi likes this.
  19. littlekiwi

Oh I’m so happy I’m feeling better too @BevG. Each change I’ve made I’ve felt increasingly better which has in a way made the journey a bit easier though still a challenge. I think my next challenge will be eating out as I’ve only dipped my toe into that in a very controlled manner (three take out dinners from where my mum works - two were a success but one wasn’t unfortunately) as there is huge risks there at least for me if I have issues.

BevG likes this.
  20. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

So glad you discovered the culprit. I wonder if you would benefit from having a bread machine that mixes, kneads, rises, and bakes? That way you would be determining the contents and not being victim to the manufacturing changes that always happen (and by the way, WHY does that happen? They never leave a good thing alone.) I know it would be extra work to get the ingredients measured and in the machine, but then having the final product that you are assured won't cause you issues might be worth the time/labor investment?