Downloading after a big shopping spree

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by littlekiwi, May 11, 2022.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I tend to go in spurts where I buy a heap (I’m usually on my phone for that bit) but I always procrastinate downloading, unzipping then organising til sometime in the days after. In saying that, the organising bit sometimes is weeks or months down the track!

Any tips on making it less painful or is it just a case of sucking it up and doing it?

LoveItScrapIt likes this.
  2. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

I am usually so excited that I download and unzip straight away. Then I look for a reason to play with all the new goodies.

cfile likes this.
  3. sm_amber

sm_amber I learn from the best..

I have to download right away, otherwise I'll forget. :spin I also download straight to where they belong in my organization system. Because, again, otherwise I'll forget.. :giggle

EHStudios and cfile like this.
  4. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I am another one that downloads right away. I also create the kit folder under the designer folder and download directly to it. I don't always unzip immediately but don't wait days to do it.

I download right away because when I did some reorganizing and checking kits to invoices, I found I bought a kit and never downloaded it. It had been over a year but was still in shop so I was able to get it after the link was reactivated.

5. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I download right away.

6. tanteva

tanteva Even the professionals are bewildered

I download immediately. I have a file for the 3 stores I shop from, and a sub file in each of those, that's called Download. There the zip files can stay until I unzip them, but often I do that immediately as well.

7. Lynne-Marie

Lynne-Marie there is beauty in everything

I always have a To Sort folder where I put stuff I haven't used yet. Once I've scrapped with it, it gets filed away into the appropriate folder.

cfile likes this.
  8. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I download right away. And then I unzip into my downloads folder. So, it's a total mess. And then I turn on a movie and sit and sort all the kits into the way I want. This way I can make sure I downloaded all the parts, there aren't any corrupted zips, and that I'm not missing anything.

cfile and LynnG like this.
  9. HeatherB

HeatherB Ain't nothin wrong with a few dust bunnies!

I'm so excited about my goodies that I download and unzip right away. I also unzip directly to the location that I'm going to store the files because it makes my life easier.

I have been doing the following lately, adding ~~ to the beginning of the folder name (so ~~lgrieveson_welcome_kit would be the name of the folder) so I know what I haven't scrapped with yet. So anything with ~~ sorts to the beginning of the main folder and I can see at a glance what I need to use first! When I do scrap with it, it is easy to remove the ~~ from the folder name.

bestcee and sm_amber like this.
  10. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

i download to a folder that i save everything, in a folder by invoice 220505_Lily_2207, then run check on zips. and there it sets.. used to unzip to its perment home, but at moment i so behind.

11. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I download right away and they go in a "to be organized" folder. I usually try to unzip and organize right away too but that doesn't always happen.

12. AliSarah

AliSarah Oh great. Now I have pixie dust in my hair!

I download right away, usually I put on a movie or whatever so that I don't stare at the screen wishing things will go faster. This dumps all zips into the download folder. From there, I separate collabs into store folders, and kits by individual designers in their own folders. I unzip and consolidate as I go.

And, now because I have windows 11 and my folder images don't work anymore, I lament over it...

Huggles!!
    ~Sarah~

bestcee likes this.
  13. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

14. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

I download right away to a monthly "digi-scrap" file (EHD on my work computer ... shhhhh!), along with a copy of the kit preview and sample LOs. At the end of the month those zip files get transfer to an USB drive, then to my digi-scrap EHD. I normally don't unzip a kit until I use it.

True be told I have a ton of unzipped kits ... my digi-hoard is as bad as my paper hoard, LOL!

Cath_ likes this.
  15. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I usually download straight away, but I don't always unzip these days. It's a bad habit I've gotten into. It's just best to download and unzip in case there are corruptions in the download zips.

When I was very organized, all my kits went into a "To Scrap" folder. They're still there, but it's so overflowing. I need to start working on layouts using those kits.

16. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Thanks all, I think quite honestly it’s become a dreaded task mainly because my computer isn’t as convenient as it once was so it’s become more of a 2 step process. Before, 9/10 I’d go on to my laptop while resting, purchase and download at the same time where as now I buy while on my phone while resting then eventually go on to my PC to do the rest. I may just need to make a change to only buying if/when I’m on my PC so I at least download straight away.

17. LoveItScrapIt

LoveItScrapIt I'm a poet, and everyone knows it!

I can't help...I'm OCD about organizing so I usually just do mine right away

18. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

that might be a way for me to get caught up faster, i have always dowwnloaded to a folder for month or so, but brillant idea of just keeping zips in stash

Memaw2Wm likes this.
  19. Aerobigirl

Aerobigirl Well-Known Member

I download right away, but I don't always organize right away. I'm just about finished indexing the items I bought from 3 stores over the weekend.

20. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

That's exactly what I do. As someone else who hates the unzipping and organizing process, I think it's a case of just making yourself do it. I only buy from my computer so that I can download right away, and everything I download goes into my folder of kits waiting to be organized. It can take me a few weeks to get around to unzipping and even longer to get the kits organized and put away. (I like having them stay in the new kit folder for a bit so I see them and am more likely to use them, but it's really laziness that makes me not organize them, LOL.) I tend to unzip when I'm procrastinating starting a layout and organize when I'm in a scrapping slump and want to do scrap-related tasks other than actual scrapping.

Cath_ likes this.