Upcoming food shortage??

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by AJK, Apr 18, 2022.

1. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

2. meganmecrazy

meganmecrazy Caution: Randomly Breaks Out into Show tunes

We normally pick up a few extra nonperishables each time we make a trip to the grocery store. I wish we had the land to have a nice big garden.

bestcee likes this.
  3. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Yes, we have . It works regarding speed.
    But you will still have the gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssss! [​IMG]

bestcee likes this.
  4. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

:compcoffee

Beano works great!

5. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I guess I'm blessed?:rofl or destined for eating lots of beans?:lol It's rare we get gas from eating beans, so thanks for sharing! I didn't know that was the difference.

AJK likes this.
  6. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

I make bread every week so I went out and stocked up on flour since it seems like wheat is one of the main things for which they are expecting there to be shortages. Thanks for the heads up -- I had not heard about this prior to this thread.

bestcee likes this.
  7. honeyandcheese

honeyandcheese Digging the island vibe

Of course it is! :-)

What do you use for grinding your wheat? I have a WhisperMill (what the WonderMill used to be called), and would love to have one of the wooden NutriMills or Komos one day, but I've been thinking that I need to get a manual grinder first in case of power outages. I can still bake in a fireplace, but I can't grind the wheat!

bestcee likes this.
  8. bestcee

My Vitamix Blender. I bought a Dry Grains container and I just toss wheat berries into that and grind it. It's pretty quick (about 3 minutes or so for a pound of wheat berries) and doesn't lose much (1 pound equals 1 pound ground by weight), and makes it fine ground with very little mess. I don't have a manual grinder, but that is something I need to research.

I borrowed my moms fancy grinder, but I didn't like the mess it made, or the cleanup. So, I was researching and realized my Vitamix works great for that! And cleanup is super easy.

9. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

For all who does not live in Europe ;
    We had this nearly as soon as the war in Ukraine started, because we are all really dependent on their produce.
    Good news is, the shelves are now stocked again for the most part , flour and pasta is still scarce in some big supermarket chains ( because it is cheaper there ) but in normal stores you can buy it. Prices are slightly higher on lots of things ( not just things from the east block ) but so far with sense and care and planning , there is not much difference. Scary bit will come next winter for us with the fuel / gas situation still unresolved for the most part i think.
    But as for many countries outside Europe; You have vast farmland, oil or coal or gas ( reserves) I doubt that any of you need to worry to much about actual food shortages (caused by the war I mean , not by environmental disaster's ,or government's )
    We have come used to having what we want , when we want it , but perhaps the time has come to think about what we need !

Karen, LynnG, bestcee and 2 others like this.
  10. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Thank you for sharing a real life experience. What it shows is that there will have to be changes made, not just by our retailers or government, but also our own choices. I know I'm definitely spoiled by having everything I want pretty much when I want it (I mean, there are limits based on our income/budget), but I agree that it's necessary for me to determine needs.

bestcee and Nemla like this.
  11. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Some good thoughts here.:yup
    BUT, for the U.S., what isn't taken into account is that sooooo many farmers have had to kill their livestock, dump their product (milk), or been paid NOT to produce. The supply chain has been interrupted not just via cargo ships, but here on the U.S. soil. As to gas or oil, well... that has been curtailed by the powers that be. So that creates more supply issues which have ignited the domino effect. A bag of cheese that we have purchased monthly (big bag) was once $7.00, yesterday was $13.00! We put it back and did not purchase. That is a small example of changes so far. On a positive note, the shelves in the store yesterday looked a bit better. :thumbsups

Nemla likes this.
  12. bestcee

This is a fabulous thought! I'm glad your food is more readily available.

Unfortunately, in the US, a few companies seem to control most of the food options, and they are quite happy to make record profits by raising the prices on everything. So, like @AJK said, some of it is available, but at prices that are crazy. Plus, we have a huge bird flu issue right now, so eggs have doubled in price in the last month, tripled at some stores!

This thread is a good reminder to me to go back to some of my basics. Some things I used to make myself, I've been buying, but with the price changes, I need to go back to making some of them.

AJK, Nemla and Cherylndesigns like this.
  13. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

Yes this!!! I find it disgusting that our government has paid farmers to keep their fields empty, dairy farms to dump their milk, and cows killed for NO REASON but money. Some of this shortage is manufactured and that makes me so mad! There are hungry people who can no longer afford to buy the food they need because what's left is so expensive. My friend doesn't buy meat at ALL anymore. She can't afford it. Freeze dried shelf stable foods are all she can afford. She is a single Mom. Has a fairly decent job, but because of all of this, her grocery bill is too high to buy it. In a country like ours, this is alarming. I see more and more people on the street asking for FOOD, not money.

I am finding buying brick cheese instead of pre=shredded is one way to save a little bit of money. Frozen veggies and smaller portions of meat cooked into other things help me out too.

I am doing what I can to reduce my grocery dependence, but living in Vegas, it's hard to grow food in the summer. We are trying to figure out a way to maybe do raised beds with sun covers.

AJK, bestcee and Cherylndesigns like this.
  14. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I find it disgusting that our government does a lot of things - don't get me started!!!

I don't even recognize our country anymore.

AJK likes this.
  15. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I remember when we had a community garden - a bunch of us divided up several acres and we were responsible for our "portion". I also used to grow corn and green beans (pole beans) in with my flowers - they were not invasive at all and I planted them up next the house. I loved going out and picking a "mess of beans" and bringing them in and cooking them for dinner.

One year, we had a beef shortage and we all used eggplant instead of beef - eggplant casserole is yummy. My mom and grandma used to grow veggies all summer in our backyard and canned whatever they could and we had the fruits of their labors all winter.

We even had a grape arbor and they made grape jelly - yummmmm.

bestcee likes this.
  16. zakirahzakaria

zakirahzakaria Making to-do lists CHECK. Checking to-do lists...

Thanks for the heads up. This thread made me check out what people are talking about this topic in Malaysia. I saw someone shared about the upcoming hyperinflation and its impacts on the economy and our livelihood. Looks like I need to learn gardening! At least have some basic skills to grow some veggies.

AJK likes this.
  17. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I have had that too around here, there was a patch of time where I couldn’t get my long life lactose free milk at all - it’s half the price but comes from Australia so delays sometimes happen. I just get around it by buying 2 or 3 when it’s in stock. The current shortage for me at least is gluten free bread - I can only have one brand of bread due to some additional additives that are added to gluten free processed foods that I can’t tolerate. It’s been out of stock at all stores more often than not lately as have the gluten free muffin splits, hoping today there is more success as I’m totally out.

18. A-M

A-M Not a lot of hustle in my hustle anymore

My husband's plans of growing veggies all washed away in the flood we had. The broccoli and cauliflower were all growing well. We had harvested and frozen enough green beans and corn to last us a year which was all stored in our new chest freezer. About 12 pumpkins were sitting in a cupboard in our back bbq area. After the flood waters went down and we got into our home, Ken looked at the pumpkins in the cupboard they were all like "pancakes". Of course everything in fridge and freezers were thrown out after sitting without power for a week.

So our plans to be more self sufficient are gone!

19. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I can't grow veggies because of our neighbor's trees shade all the afternoon sun. I had built two lovely square foot gardens but nothing grew because the plants kept looking for light. So, out they came and now they're in my friend's yard.

I guess I don't see any real new food shortages, just a continuation of what's been going on during all the shutdowns and distribution problems. Talk about messing things up. I see it goes in spurts ... one day the toilet paper aisle will be full, the next week empty, but the cereal aisle is bursting at the seams. Then no packaged produce (lettuce, greens and the like) but packages desserts are low. The crazy thing was that it was extremely difficult to get any canned coconut milk or coconut cream anywhere except the organic grocery store - all due to shipping problems. When I ask they simply tell me which shipping container it's sitting in at the harbor and the date it's supposed to unload. It's unreal, but the way many politicians want it. Our Trader Joe's still doesn't have canned coconut milk, but they do have the coco cream and coconut oil. So I've just gotten used to purchasing multiples when something's in stock, then I'm okay when I need it in the future.

20. bestcee

My Vegas friend does that and is super successful with tomatoes and peppers. Not much, but something?

I killed everything I tried in Vegas.:giggle

LynnG likes this.