Music | Pad Patter 3/31

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by jk703, Mar 31, 2022.

1. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Holy Moly... it's the last day of March! April is coming... and that brings me a little closer to warm weather, outside, and CONCERTS! I'm thrilled! This year, I got a Season Lawn Pass for the amphitheater (it's in my town). It was a gift, though costs about $230, but considering I can go to any concert, comedy show that they have from May to October, I'm stoked. That's 32 shows! I know I won't go to all of them, lol, but me and other friends already have plans to go to 8 shows already. We always pick a family show too that us and our kids go to as well! Yay!

Here is a list of the top song/album for each year from 1946 to 2021, on Wikipedia
    Billboard Year End Number One Signles & Albums

I tried to google to get a link to see what each country had for number one songs and albums, but it always came up with Country Music, lol! So, you might have to google your specific country to get the list of top songs and albums.

When I was about 14, the top album was Slippery When Wet by Bon Jovi and the song was Walk Like an Egyptian by The Bangles (1988)! I loved both! Bon Jovi's album was huge since they were from NJ, and not too far from me! lol! I still sing along loudly when Livin' On A Prayer is played! haha! I've never see them play though. So many good artists are not on that list - New Kids, NSYNC, lol!

When I was in college Alanis Morissette, Jagged Little Pill was huge and the song was :giggle Macarena! R&B and Hip Hop got really big too with Whitney Houston, The Notorious B.I.G, Snoop, and TLC! It's funny... I'm going to see Alanis this summer, and I saw her Jagged Little Pill play in NYC last year - it was 150% not what I expected at all - but still good.

I can't pick a fav artist... I love so many music genres, artists and songs! My fav song is Brandy Your a Fine Girl by Looking Glass. Not sure how that happened, but it is my fav!

What about you?! I'm curious.... when you were a teenager, did you like the top song or album? What about when you were in your 20's? Do you have a favorite artist?

Sara likes this.
  2. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I graduated in 1988. Faith by George Michael, both the song and his first solo album, were at the top of the pop charts. Loved, loved, loved George from when he was in Wham! and Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go was one of my fave songs in my freshman year. I didn't listen to much R&B at that time, but Keith Sweat had the top song and album. On the country charts were Keith Whitley with Don't Close Your Eyes and the album was Always & Forever by Randy Travis. I **did** still listen to a lot of country at that time.

In college, there was Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation and Mariah Carey's first album. Garth Brooks was huge as well as Whitney Houston.

I still listen to a lot of different genres of music, so I can't say I have one artist that's at the top of the list. These days, I mostly listen to 40s/big band/crooners music, but I still play a lot of current pop playlists on Spotify.

Sara and jk703 like this.
  3. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I really only listen to the music from my childhood/teens/20's (60's/70's). Current artists that I like are Oak Ridge Boys (been a fan for 30+ years) and Home Free. My taste in music changed in the late 80's/early 90's to more of a country slant. With my hearing issues, most music is just loud noise which is why I stick to the songs/artists I know. Since Home Free is a cappella, I don't have the issue of instruments overriding the vocals.

As for my teens, #1 song the year I graduated was "The Way We Were". Loved the song, loved the movie. My favorite album from my teen years was album of the year in 1971 "Jesus Christ Superstar". Still love it and the movie is one of my all time favorites.

My college days were the disco days and I danced to all the songs at the disco nightclub every Thursday night. Saturday Night Fever anyone? :dancebunPeter Frampton was also a fave during my early 20's.

Cherylndesigns and jk703 like this.
  4. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Oh gosh! I was a HUGE George Michael fan too Cheryl @gonewiththewind I think the Faith album might have been my first cassette that I bought. Love that!

During high school looks like Chicago, Bobby Brown, Whitney Houston, Janet Jackson, Bryan Adams, Jodeci and Boyz II Men were popular and I did like all of them. Oh and Garth Brooks. I wasn't too much into country, except my sister loved Alan Jackson, so we listened to a lot of him, but I did (and still do) love Garth Brooks.

In college I loved Mary J. Blige, TLC, Alanis and all of the grunge stuff. Oh and Bare Nakid Ladies and Alannis. Green Day was big then too, but I got sick of their first CD after our neighbors played it on repeat for MONTHS. :giggle

It's been awhile since I've been to a concert, but my oldest son has definitely taken up the love of live music and has started going to concerts. The first one he went to was NF last year and we drove him and a friend and dropped them off. My ears were bleeding just from how loud it was in the parking lot, so I'm pretty sure my son must have suffered hearing loss. (Do I sound old or what? :giggle )

gonewiththewind and jk703 like this.
  5. jk703

No, his concert was the loudest I have heard. He was even louder than Ozzy Osbourne!!! I live behind the amphitheater (about 1 mile).... and if the wind blows right, we can hear the music. Usually not bad, lol! But NF was SO LOUD! :giggle If it's not music we like, just playing our own at normal levels drowns it out. lol! Plus, there is a noise ordinance, so if they go past a certain time, they pay a fine to the town. It happens but not all that often. When it does it's usually when there might be a weather delay and we aren't outside anyway!

Karen likes this.
  6. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

I graduated in '71 and also loved this album and the movie. I have the vinyl LP I bought in '71, plus a CD of the album, plus the movie on VHS/DVD.

At my grad ceremony they played Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young's "Teach Your Children."

I mostly listen to country on the radio or an eclectic mix of oldies (40s-70s), plus some newer Top 40 songs mixed in on via iTunes.

Inna Gadda Da Vida by Iron Butterfly ... one of my fav dance songs from my teens.

IntenseMagic and jk703 like this.
  7. HavaDrPepper

Yeah, Inna Gadda Da Vida... a total workout if you danced to the long version! Other popular songs at school dances were Beginnings, Colour My World, 25 or 6 to 4 all by Chicago. Stairway to Heaven was 1 of the slow dances with the other being Colour My World. Chicago was a favorite group during my high school and college days along with Lynyrd Skynyrd and Led Zeppelin.

I too had the vinyl album of JCS and have a DVD of the movie. I pull it out every couple of years around Easter and watch it.

Memaw2Wm and jk703 like this.
  8. jk703

So many good artists - Crosby, Stills & Nash, Chicago, Lynyrd Skynrd too - and The Eagles! Love a bunch of every groups their songs. I'd add on some Merle Haggard, Kenny Rodgers and Foreigner! Foreigner is playing near me this summer with Kid Rock. Interesting match there, lol! One of my all time favs is Steve Miller. I don't think he tours anymore!

I have to refresh myself with Jesus Christ Superstar... I've heard it referenced and spoken about but never actually saw it! I love musicals so I'll give it a try!

9. HavaDrPepper

What I loved about JCS was that it was relatively unknown individuals in the movie. Yvonne Elliman's "I Don't Know How to Love Him" was so powerful, at least to me. I've seen other performances of it but to me, the 1973 movie is the best. Ted Neeley, the actor that played Jesus was very easy to look at :)

jk703 likes this.
  10. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I have such a broad range of musical likes. I still listen to Motown and my kids grew up listening to that and Marvin Gaye and Barry White. Still love Michael Jackson, too. I've merged into liking "new country" I call it - I've always loved "Old Country" Waylon, Willie and Hank Williams Jr. I also love Blues Music - (BB King, Bobby Blue Bland and John Lee Hooker) and jazz - love John Coltrane and Billie Holliday.

The only thing the kids listen to now is country - I don't know a lot of the new artists, but I know some of them.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2022
    jk703 likes this.
  11. Memaw2Wm

One of the local churches held teen dances and we'd dance to the long version.

12. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Yes, we have much in common! All the others you mentioned were favorites.

I have been to concerts in the past ten years, but it's been hit or miss. Michael Buble twice, Elton John twice, Barry Manilow once . . . I really don't enjoy how loud it is. My sister and I started doing concerts at home, where we pick an artist and listen their music, cook food, and enjoy comfortable seating, quiet, and clean bathrooms that you don't have to walk 5 miles to get to. LOL

Karen and jk703 like this.
  13. jk703

Country is one of my favs - old and new!

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  14. Sara

Sara Riding in the Neil mobile

I love music. Love love love it. And I enjoy most genres. Probably because it's Story, really.

When I was a teenager Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, Alanis Morrissette were popular, and TLC, Mary J. Blige, Garth Brooks, the Fugees. And I enjoyed all of them. But my most favorites during that time were Pearl Jam and Dave Matthews Band and classic rock. Then in university, I loved indie artists.

jk703 likes this.
  15. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I was a teen in the era of Prince, Michael Jackson (Thriller), etc. I graduated high school in 1984 and that was the year of Purple Rain and Thriller. The Bangles came to my college when they were up and coming. I liked some mainstream "radio" music good enough, but at that time, I was listening to more Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Scorpions, Ratt, Motley Crue, Dokken, Dio, etc. and some alternative stuff.
    In college, I still listened to a lot of hard rock, but also a lot of alternative like REM, early U2, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Violent Femmes.
    I have never really been a fan of most of the 80's pop stuff, but I love to turn on a good 60's or 70's playlist or classic rock.
    My early teens was the disco era. We even had discos in town that did teen nights. They were fun, but I usually went wearing my "Disco is dead, rock is rolling" t-shirt lol.
    I love concerts and went to many back in the day. Chance and I were just looking at some we might try to get to this summer!

Sara, jk703 and Cherylndesigns like this.
  16. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

When I was in high school in the 1980's I listened to the popular stuff on the radio and made my own mix tapes.

In college, perhaps influenced by my boyfriend of 3 years who was 15 years older than me, I got into Oldies. And also reggae. I still like both.

When I met my husband, he introduced me to a huge range of music. His musical taste is broad.

In my 30's, I got into Laurie Berkner and Hannah Montana with my kids.

Since then, my musician daughter has been the biggest influence on my music playlist. I've never felt strongly about what music we play, so most of what I listen to nowadays are songs I heard her playing first. She describes her musical interests as alternative rock mainly, alternative in general, emo, and classic rock. I'm not good at categorizing my music taste (I had to ask her to remind me of the words in the previous sentence!) and my favorite artists change over the years. A few years ago, I would have said Pentatonix. A couple years ago, Panic! at The Disco. Last year, AJR. I still like all of those, but right now, no single artist is on top, and here's the playlist I've been listening to over and over for a few months now:
    Screen Shot 2022-03-31 at 8.34.54 PM.png

jk703 likes this.
  17. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I don't think I've ever listened to popular stuff.

I grew up listening to Country...was pretty much forced to and that's why I think I hate it now. Haha.
    As an older teen, I started listening to Christian music. I did go to a few concerts.

Once I started dating my hubby, I went to a few concerts with him....He loved Tory Amos and I remember going to a Charlie Daniel concert with him. He was into ALL different kinds of music. He still is.

We do love going to concerts now...I mainly go just to be with him! We've gone to NeedtoBreath, Switchfoot, etc... The last concert we went to has been before covid though!

I def wouldn't say I'm into popular music or ever have been...but I do love listening to music. Usually Christian, Classical or my kids...now that they are actually decent. Haha.

jk703 and Sara like this.
  18. michele hillam

michele hillam Loading up the bookmobile

I graduated in '81 but my music tastes were "older" as I had older siblings. Don't hate me but my favorite group is ABBA. I still crank it up while cleaning my house. I do like listening to the oldies station in the car (70's & 80's). I grew up with disco and even danced on the stage at Disneyland with my uncle who was taking a dance class at university, great time!

I never went to concerts when I was younger, really never had the money (1 of 7 siblings). My first (and only) concert was a few years ago, The Piano Guys, they put on a great show. My husband even liked it and he would much prefer a rock concert!

Memaw2Wm and jk703 like this.
  19. Memaw2Wm

I love the German version of ABBA's "Waterloo." We were living in Germany when the song was released and even the Army/AirForce radio station played the German version. I have both the English and German versions in iTunes.

My first concert was One Direction with my granddaughter in Philly. I bought us tickets for her 16th b'day.

jk703 likes this.
  20. jk703

I could sing along to ABBA with you! :) And I feel like Disco is going to make a come back in the next few years!