Embarrassing Parents | Pad Patter 3.23

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by bestcee, Mar 23, 2022.

1. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

We are at that age in my family. The one where my son prefers not to acknowledge I exist as his parent, and wants to pretend I don't exist outside the house. At least around his school friends. He's cool with me other than at the school.

So, it made me start to think about my own parents and them being embarrassing. My dad was always the one who embarrassed me growing up. Everywhere we went, he would know someone. So, it was constantly stopping to meet all these people he knew and hearing about how mischievous he was, and how hopefully I'm better behaved than him! There were other things, but that was a big one for me because I wanted to not be noticed as a pre-teen.

What about you? Do you have a "My parents are SO embarrassing!" moment? Or, have your children mentioned how you or your husband are the embarrassing parents?

Sara likes this.
  2. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I hear you on the knowing everybody. My dad was the same way. Don't know how many stories I heard from my parents about them running into someone he knew when they were on vacation. Even Martha was surprised when Dad would run into people he knew when they were on vacation. I think he actually ran into someone he knew when they were in Aruba one time.

Maybe not so embarrassing but annoying was when Dad always told a waitress how many potatoes he wanted with his dinner. He would request either a small baked potato or a really small handful of fries. Of course, it never happened because they had size standards they followed. Mom and I would just roll our eyes because telling him it wouldn't do him any good never worked. He always ate whatever was on his plate even if he thought it was too much though!

bestcee likes this.
  3. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

My father is 93 and his head is still stuck in the early 1950s ... I'm frequently embarrassed by the crap that comes out of his mouth.

Of course, I likely embarrass my teenage grandson ... if only b/c I exist, lol!!!

Cherylndesigns and bestcee like this.
  4. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Oh yes, both my parents embarrassed me, but my mom takes the prize for this one.

I was 12 and we were in TG&Y - my mom, me, and my two cousins. My mom FILLED UP THE CART with Sure & Natural pads - unscented and scented - because they were at a very good price. I'm talking piled up in the cart - there must have been 100 boxes. My mom asked for my help putting the items on the belt for checkout, and I turned around and my cousins were GONE. I was so embarrassed! The cashier and my mom were chatting it up about the pads and the price and I was horrified!

After that, though, I realized it was just part of life and I had to get over purchasing them. So when the time came as an adult to purchase them, it was a little bit easier.

Here's the box/brand she bought.

Screenshot 2022-03-23 084203.jpg

bestcee, Sara and Memaw2Wm like this.
  5. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

My mother would talk to anyone about anything. I remember her telling a fellow customer that the yoghurt she wanted to buy was cheaper at a competing shop. I wanted the ground to open up and swallow me.

Of course I now do the exact same. Chat to strangers about anything. Much to my children's chagrin.

bestcee and Memaw2Wm like this.
  6. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

Melissa hasn't pulled the embarrassing parent thing yet that I can remember. One thing my parents did to embarrass me wasn't when I was a kid. As my Dad got older, he got bolder. He would say whatever he wanted to say. We were at the movies and he said, after seeing a very stupid movie trailer, super loudly so that just about everyone around us would hear it, "That's a must see!!!" I just about melted to the floor.

bestcee likes this.
  7. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I didn't want my parents around anything I did when I was a teen lol. Everything they did was embarrassing. The most embarrassing thing my dad did was when I would walk off from them, usually pouting about something, he would LOUDLY say "Jan, how old are you?". Funny now, but not so much then.

I am an embarrassing parent. I fully admit it and I enjoy it...like a lot! I've always told my kids that when you're old, there's not as much that brings you joy, but embarrassing your kids sure does :giggle. I don't do it in like a mean way or to really do any damage. I will just do things like dance or sing in the store if they're with me, or ride on the cart, or play with the toys. Chance has never let me forget how embarrassed he was when I danced at one of the school pep rallies. When he started attending the school where I teach, he would not even acknowledge me. Now, as a junior, my classroom is the hang out spot for him and all his friends in the morning. My older two did not attend my school, and often say how glad they are that they didn't :giggle

bestcee likes this.
  8. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

If you live long enough - your kids become "the embarrassing parent" - my grandkids are embarrassed over what my girls say now. I LOVE it!!!

What goes around - comes around. :lol:lol:lol

bestcee likes this.
  9. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

I don't ever remember being too bothered by my parents.

My dad does a "love" talk he would have with any boy that was hanging around, and he still does it now with his grandchildren (now that they are dating age)! My older girls hate it...but we've gotten smart and just warn any boys that are hanging around, "Don't mind the crazy old grandpa. He's going to give you a talk about love and lust." Then we have a good laugh about it. I figure if any boys can't handle the crazy old grandpa maybe they shouldn't be hanging around.

As for me. I think the only thing that bothers my kids is when I make up songs and randomly sing when their friends are over. I don't even realize I'm doing it until they give me a look. I just say, "Wait, doesn't every mom make up songs?" Apparently, this is something all of my siblings do...but other people don't?!?

Oh, I did have fun embarrassing my nephew. He was in front of his High School practicing band. I was driving around in my big ol' 12 passenger van and yelled out the window as loud as I could, "HEEEEYYYY, ZAAACH!" Apparently, he told his friends it was just his crazy old aunt! Bwahaha. Guess that's what I get.

bestcee likes this.
  10. paula kesselring

paula kesselring Designer

Oh God...both my parents embarrassed me!
    Especially when they got old. My father didn't have a "month filter" and spoke whatever came to his mind and my mother had a "small problem" with flatulence...:D

I remember repeating in my head every time she got up and we had other people around "Please don't fart!Please don't fart!Please don't fart!" :giggle:giggle:giggle

bestcee likes this.
  11. LeeAndra

LeeAndra A total Betty.

My mom would rather die than be embarrassed in public so she never did anything like that to me when I was growing up. She has lost some of that politeness "filter" in the last few years so she sometimes says things to retail/restaurant workers or the public at-large that's not exactly rude but not exactly kind, either, and things she would have never said when she was younger so now I am slightly embarrassed when I am with her sometimes but I try not to be.

I wear things that are... a lot (like feathered boots, sequined winter coats, & colorful glasses) so I'm fortunate that neither of my children, not even the teenager, have yet to act embarrassed or tell me that they are embarrassed by what I wear. The teenager's aesthetic is very different from mine but they are also very oblivious and not particularly socially- or friend-oriented so I'm not sure they would notice if someone was looking at me/us. I also would rather die than be embarrassed, in public or private, so I don't purposely look to do those type of things.

My ex is known for being very loud and also purposely saying things that are controversial or "shocking" to get a rise out of people so I'm lucky that I don't have to deal with that anymore. He would be one to say something "funny" in public that the oldest would be embarrassed by but I haven't heard of any specific situations that have arisen yet.