Organising Retired Products

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by littlekiwi, Mar 18, 2022.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Given that the Retiring Products sale is on now, how do you all organise your retired products?
    Personally I’ve always left them in my main designer folders but given I’m having to re tag everything in ACDSee most likely I’d like to set up a system that will be manageable especially when it comes to MOC time again

2. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I don't.. I leave them in the designer folder. The MOC is the only challenges that require current product. All other challenges and gallery criteria allows you to use product of that provider retired or current in your pages. .. Follow the Criteria of the challenges and you should be good with the retired product :)

Re MOC I check the store first if I am selecting a product / pack to use and make sure it is in the store before I scrap with it. I do not have all the time to organize stuff. I am lucky my photos are in Year / Month order LOL!

meganmecrazy, EHStudios and Nemla like this.
  3. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Yep I do like Christa, and then for MOC I try to limit myself to scrapping with 2 or 3 kits pr challenge , that way it is easy to check.

cfile likes this.
  4. littlekiwi

See, I very rarely check the store before I scrap which is why I asked. I usually scrap then as I’m doing credits with links then I check. Apart from one time when I used an entire kit that wasn’t in the store I’ve been ok.

5. littlekiwi

I wish I could stick to a limit of two to three products, it would make checking a lot easier and scrapping a lot faster!

6. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

I get it. I find most of the time it doesn't matter unless it is MOC so that is what saves me time then having to organize my supplies. Whatever is best for you, then go with that. :)

7. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Since I don't tag things individually, I just usually go through and add an R or X in front of the kit name in the designer folder. Sometimes I'm far too lazy to even do that. When MOC rolls around, I just search the kit in the store to see if it's still there :giggle

bestcee and cfile like this.
  8. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

I’m like Jan @IntenseMagic , I just add a capital R after the product name and keep the kit with the designer.

paula kesselring likes this.
  9. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I also just rename the kit folder. Only I use the letter z- since it then sorts it to the bottom in both Picasa and Windows. For instance, if I had the Bella Gypsy kit School Rules, I would rename it to z-School Rules. It would then sort alphabetically with all the other Bella Gypsy retired kits after the non-retired kits.

Iowan likes this.
  10. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I just add "_RETIRED" to the end of the folder that contains retired stuff. And that's only if I take the time to do it while the retirement sale is going on.

Iowan likes this.
  11. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

I have an MOC tag. I simply remove it from all retired products. If I want current product I include the MOC tag in my search criteria.

EHStudios likes this.
  12. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

I add an _X at the beginning of the kit folder so it sorts at the bottom in Windows. I also add a 'retired' tag in AcdSee. I like to keep the kit in the designer folder since I often go "I know a kit about cats from Kristin" and it would drive me batty to have to look in two places. So, in the designer folder it stays.
    It's pretty quick and simple. I do the same for retired designers. I should use Z, but x catches my eye more than z.

13. Kat

Kat Seeking wine/shopping/teeth brushing support group

I have a lot of files that are now "retired" with the loss of designers recently as well. I am marking them to the best of my ability. I do not check the stores before scrapping. I am also deleting a bunch. My husband will appreciate it though. It makes me realize how I need to buy much much less after buying a ton of stuff at Christmas that is now retired and was never used.

14. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

You can still use that stuff you bought at Christmas as long as the designer is still selling at the Lilypad layouts with retired kits can be posted in the gallery, and retired kits can also be used for the monthly challenges.

bestcee likes this.
  15. Kat

Kat Seeking wine/shopping/teeth brushing support group

Nope... I bought from two of the three who have left recently. I am a one (or sometimes two) kit scrapper as well... so it's just money down the drain......... my husband was pissed at me. Oh, and the third, is my largest folder of supply, I literally had bought that person's entire store little by little. Yeay me!

Cath_ likes this.
  16. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I add 'RETIRED" at the end of the kit description. I normally move them to an external hard drive.

17. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

i saved this png to put in folders, it does show up. right click and save if you want. I am so so more overwelmed, memory loss of what i have bought in 4 months plus the fu--- mess my kits are...

hell, lily84 is January 2017
    lily49 is december 2014

and my backups are
    mydata_tos37 contains lly84
    mydata_tos1 contains lily49 (i asumme backups prior are mydata_hp has 48 backwards
    logial on backups at that time, as since i only save anything to one folder, no mather the topic, if i lost it all, i just have 37 parts to put back.
    But now up to 47 , with 6 addtions to its name.

How in the world does anyone play else where if it so hard just playing here

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2022
  18. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

If a designer leaves the store, I remove the "TLP_" at the start of all their kit's folders names (leaving "Designer_Kit")so they end up in their own section of the kits folder rather than in the TLP section. When a kit is retired, I still want it to sort with the designer's stuff, so I leave the TLP_. I have a separate folder of previews that are MOC-eligible. Every time I buy anything at TLP, I add its preview to my MOC Previews folder. At the start of MOC I go through and check if anything currently in that folder has been retired. My TLP stash is mid-sized--that would all be way too cumbersome for someone with a large TLP stash!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2022
    Aerobigirl and Cath_ like this.
  19. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

mine too .. but pissed at myself more, i feel like i going to explode. I have spent more these past 4 months, then i would have the 4 years away. I don't know where begin, organise backwards, or start from where i left off in jan 2017. Backwards is logical, but none bu since i left. except dumped off the way they are

Kat likes this.
  20. paula kesselring

paula kesselring Designer

WOW ladies fantastic ideas so far here!!! I'll make a list of my retiring products and post them at the forum to help you a little!

bestcee and Cath_ like this.