Superstitious? | Pad Patter 3.13

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Mar 13, 2022.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Today is Open An Umbrella Indoors Day! My mom would freak lol. We used to do that when I was younger just to see her reaction and giggle. She is very superstitious! I can remember her throwing salt over her shoulder, always warning us not to walk under ladders, and knocking on wood. I don't really think I'm superstitious at all, but there are times that I choose not to tempt fate :giggle, and I do occasionally knock wood.

Are you superstitious? About anything in particular?

2. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Lol, I am the salt over the shoulder type. Never put shoes on a table, and just to be safe say 7 9 13 while you knock on wood.....
    But I am not superstitious.....of course not !

IntenseMagic likes this.
  3. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

This is kind of embarrassing but, if you name it, I probably have some sort of superstition about it. No, I don’t walk under ladders, step on cracks, open umbrellas indoors, nor step in the path of a black cat. I do attempt to blow out all my birthday candles, look for four-leaf clovers, and I made sure I had something old, new, borrowed and blue on my wedding day. And of course, Friday the 13th is an unlucky day.

Last week I drove my grandson to school and a black cat crossed our path and I said something, jokingly, to the effect that it was not a good omen. Two hours later I ended up taking my husband to urgent care!

I never mention my superstitious nature so my husband and daughters were really surprised when I made a page about it. ☘️☘️
    [​IMG]

Memaw2Wm, IntenseMagic and KimJ like this.
  4. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I'm only superstitious for fun.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  5. KimJ

KimJ Did you check in the refrigerator?

Yikes! Hope he was ok!
    • We open umbrellas indoors all the time... we set them out in our foyer to dry after use. No rain in the forecast though, so not happening here today.
    • We do knock on wood, but more as a fun little thing rather than actually believing it does anything.
    • Not walking under ladders just seems like good common sense, although depending on the task I do stand under them very carefully to brace the ladder for DH from time to time.
    • My brother was born on a Friday the 13th, so it would be rather rude of me to say that was unlucky. :lol
    So, yeah, I'm not superstitious, but at work, people don't like it if you comment during the slower times that we're not busy, because sure enough, that's when a gigantic rush will hit, so yeah, I do try to respect that, you know, just in case. :giggle

IntenseMagic and Iowan like this.
  6. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Nah. I can't really say I'm superstitious about anything. Especially about black cats. We had a barn full of black cats when I was growing up and I loved them, so I was shocked when I found out they were supposed to be bad luck. :giggle

IntenseMagic likes this.
  7. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

I'm really not superstitious about anything I can think of.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  8. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I say I'm not superstitious, but sometimes I am. :giggle

If I find a penny, I'll pick it up. All day long I'll have good luck!

If there's a fountain, I'll throw a coin in to bring something good my way.

Most of my superstitions are from my Granny and are about New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. No washing on New Year's Day as you'll be washing money away (some say washing a loved one away - man, that's brutal). Also, we eat black eyed peas and greens to bring money.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  9. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I didn't know I was supposed to be saying 7 9 13 while I knock wood! Maybe that's why it usually doesn't work for me :giggle

That is such a cool page!!

Same :)

For sure, I don't say anything like that. Every single time I say I might have some down time out loud, something comes up :giggle

I love black cats :) I've had several!
    Hmmmmm :hummm:giggle

I do make black eyed peas and cabbage on New Year's Day, and will always pick up that penny...but only if it's heads up :giggle

gonewiththewind and Karen like this.
  10. Sara

Sara Riding in the Neil mobile

I wouldn't say I'm terribly superstitious. That said, "knock on wood" is in my lexicon. And I *do* seem to notice when big events or deaths happen in 3s. Oh and baseball. As a Cubs fan there was quite a lot of superstitious lore connected to our fandom.

11. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

I can’t think of anything I’m superstitious about.

12. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Nope. Not at all. But I agree with @KimJ - it’s plain common sense not to walk under a ladder in case something falls on you, although I’ve done it many times if someone’s asked me to hold the ladder for them.

I remember once my sisters and I jokingly threw salt over our shoulders, and my mom immediately told us to sweep and wash the floors for wasting salt and making a mess. We never did that again, obviously!

KimJ likes this.
  13. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Me neither. :)

Cherylndesigns likes this.
  14. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Pretty much the same for me. Although I can "knock on wood" and know it is real wood since I have many Longaberger baskets in every room in my house. LOL

Sara likes this.