LOD 2022 | February 23 | Kristin Aagard Designs

Discussion in '2022 LOD' started by bellbird, Feb 23, 2022.

1. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

:heartlub:heartlub Kristin Aagard Designs Is Our Daily Crush!:beat:beat
    kaagard_logo.jpg

FebMarchCalendar2022-2-23.jpg

This event isn't a traditional CHALLENGE in that there aren't any real rules. It’s a fun event to scrap with products from a fave designer or try a new (to you) designer. It’s all about having fun and celebrating the uniqueness of all of our Lilypad Designers!

Click the image below to shop her awesome 40% off sale!
    KAagard_LOD22_AD.jpg

A bit about the Kristin Aagard Designs:

TLP Username: @Kristin Aagard
    Newsletter sign-up: https://view.flodesk.com/pages/620c0632e0eda1a0d870ae07
    blog/website link: http://digidelights.blogspot.com/
    Facebook Friends and Fans Group: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kristin-Aagard-Designs/140986752581916
    Use the Instagram hashtag #kristinaagarddesigns

Now let's get to know Kristin a bit better - she kindly agreed to an interview!

Me: Hi Kristin! I've been a fan girl since before you came to TLP so it's a pleasure to be chatting and featuring your cute designs today! They are always bright and fun and make me smile!
    KA: Thank you Justine!

Me: I'm sure we'd all like to get to know you a little better so for anyone that doesn't know you, can you tell us a bit about where you live and who you share your house with?
    KA: I live in the south end of the Salt Lake Valley in Utah. The Wasatch Mountains are beautiful here! I’ve been married to my husband, Alan, for 22 years. He is a residential master electrician. I have three awesome kids! Ashley is 16, Sophie is 14 and David just turned 11. They are all doing virtual school this year, so we are together a lot! They all love virtual school and are getting really good grades. I’m having a hard time trying to convince them to go back to regular school next year.
    I also have a 7 year old border collie mix named Dexter. Dexter’s job is to bark out the front window at delivery people, the mail carrier and just anyone walking down the sidewalk. He takes his job very seriously! Currently, we are long term babysitting a 16 year old shih tuz/chihuahua mix named Tiki. We’ve had her since early November and we get to keep her until April or May. She’s a cute little sweetheart! We also have two chickens that are very not creatively named, Brown Chicken and Black Chicken, in our backyard. We only share our house with them when someone forgets to shut the door. And then you will find them happily waddling about the house until they are quickly shewed out!

Me: LOL! Sounds like your house and heart are both full! So when did you start designing and how did you come to be a designer and join the store here at TLP?
    KA: I was a paper scrapper starting in about 2002. After my second daughter, Sophie, was born in 2007, I felt like I didn’t have the time and space for all of the paper supplies to be spread out so I started looking into digital scrapbooking. I had been playing with a really old version of Photoshop creating things to add to my paper layouts.I started following tutorials on how to create my own scrapbooking elements and papers. I started sharing them on my blog in 2008 and I was offered a spot in a store in May of 2008. I was lucky to score two designer guest spots at TLP over the years. I got even luckier when I became a permanent part of the design team on the last day of December in 2015.

Me: Lucky for us too! Can you share a bit about your design process and what inspires you most when starting to design a new kit?
    KA: I have a really ratty looking spiral notebook that I keep in my purse. When I see something that inspires me I jot it down and add a few ideas. For instance, I have kit called Mack that was inspired by my friend’s red headed, adorable, triplets. One day when we were playing with them, she was singing Bob Marley’s Three Little Birds to them and it struck me that I should make a kit based on them. I jotted down a bunch of their toys and their bedroom decorations and made a kit inspired by them.
    I create a typed list of all of the elements and patterns I want to make before I start designing and I cross them off as I go. I design mostly in Adobe Illustrator now and finish things off in Photoshop. I work on the elements first because that’s my favorite part. I start by scanning and extracting all of my realistic elements first. It is kind of a mindless task and I get to watch TV or listen to podcasts or books while I do it. I usually create some of the patterns while I’m making elements as well. I always do my alphas last.

Me: Thanks, that behind the scenes stuff is always interesting to me and every designer seems to be different with their process! Your Christmas kits are some of my faves! Do you have a favorite theme or holiday to design for? And I'd love to know if you have a favourite kit {or top 3?} and a best seller from your store that you can share with us?
    KA: My favorite theme to design for is summertime. I especially love summer evening/night kits. They are fun to work on!
    I think my favorite kits are Desert, Evening Glow and Jackpot. Those were just easy to work on and I really enjoyed them!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Me: I know I have a few pages with Little Builder - it's a stash staple, and anything you make is cute, with candy canes or not!
    Now, just for fun, a few more random questions! If you were stranded on a desert island with an endless supply of a food and a shelter to survive without worrying, what food would you want it to be?

KA: Eek! One food for the rest of my life sounds like torture!!! If I had to choose, I would have to choose bread because I feel like I wouldn’t get super sick of it. But I am really glad I don’t have to choose! I want to eat all of the foods!

Me: If you could have a super power, what would you like it to be?
    KA: I think I would want the ability to transport myself and others instantly. I have anxiety about driving and flying so I try not to do either of those. Plus, how fun would it be to pop on over to different parts of the world to have lunch at a second’s notice?

Me:If you had a time machine and could go on 1 trip to the future or a past event, when & where would you go?
    KA: I’d love to go back in time and see my parents and my husband’s parents as children. It would be so fun to know that part of them!

Me: Name 5 things that make you happy?
    KA: My family and pets, coffee, sushi, puzzles and comedy podcasts.

Me: That's awesome, thanks for chatting with me (& TLP) today!

Here's a page I created with one of Kristin's recent releases called Puzzled:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But wait there's more!!
    If you want to see more cuteness, guess what?!

Kristin has generously made an awesome FREEBIE that is available in the store right now and it toad-ally matches the colors and themes here at TLP!
    I'm so excited to share 'Ribbit' with you! (Click here to go 'grabbit'!)

_KAagard_Ribbit_PVW.jpg

Thanks so much, Kristin!

Now it's your turn!

Scrap a page using any of Kristin's designs.
    Meet the gallery guidelines of 50% TLP product
    Post in Kristin's gallery here at TLP and share your page in this thread.

Be sure to check out our LOVE Our Designers event daily since you never know WHO is going to be featured when! And who knows, the designer(s) may pop in here and there with special surprises and interactions while we are scrapping!

umyesh, G.J., JenEm and 4 others like this.
  2. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

I just love your things. Just about everyday life (cooking :), cleaning, garden, shopping etc treasure every kit I have. been with ya along time. thank you for the frebbie, cool has a frog, for the lilypad

Last edited: Feb 23, 2022
    Kristin Aagard and bellbird like this.
  3. Jazzmom

Jazzmom Mobile, agile, hostile!

@Kristin Aagard, I love your designs! It is because of you that I decided to venture into digital scrapbooking... A traditional paper scrapper, I was never interested in digital scrapbooking. But (many years ago) I happened upon a FB post of a Christmas mini that you had created for another store you were at ... it was adorable & your elements looked so real (not flat), so I decided to check it out. After checking out many forums, & looking at all the lovely LOs I found on the web, I decided to give digi-scrapping a try. I'm hooked! Thanks so much, Kristin!!

4. cinderella

cinderella I was alone once...best.day.ever.

I love Kristin's designs! She's so amazingly talented!
    [​IMG]
    I'm also very lucky to be on her team. :beat

5. scribler

scribler Blanket? Check! Slippers? Check! Sweater? Che

I’ve become a huge fan of @Kristin Aagard. I use Pawsitively Adorable all the time. I also just used Pasta Night for my slow scrap layout.

6. ajm

ajm Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for the cute freebie!:heartlub

[​IMG]

bellbird, Kristin Aagard and cfile like this.
  7. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

Kristen is one of the designers who led me to the Lilypad after I restarted scrapping again. I did a hunt of ex Scrap Orchard designers to see who was still designing and where.
    Love this place.

8. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Thank you for hosting Justine, and thank you Kristin for the Ribbit freebie! Here is what I made with it:

[​IMG]

bellbird and Kristin Aagard like this.
  9. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

oh my, that frog is so cuteeee!! thanks, Kristin!!

10. LynnZant

LynnZant Well-Known Member

Thank you for the freebie and sale! I picked up a few things that I didn't already have. :)
    [​IMG]

11. Angela Toucan

I made this page today. I love Kristin's themed kits.
    [​IMG]

12. Angela Toucan

13. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I've been a big fan of Kristin for a long time. I tend to use her kits a lot especially Fur Babies - Dogs and Pawsitively Adorable! Here are 2 of my favorite older layouts using her kits in an off theme layout:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. EHStudios

EHStudios I am more clever than I think

That mini is definitely getting used on my LOD tracker page at the end of this event!! I was so excited when I first saw it!

Today I used her kit Groceries for this page!
    [​IMG]

15. dagi

dagi Aiming high

Awesome sale! Off to check the store :). Thank you for the freebie Kristin! Love it.

bellbird, Kristin Aagard and G.J. like this.
  16. G.J.

G.J. If I Could Turn Back Time

@Kristin Aagard LOOOOVE your designs, actually my gallery is full with layouts created using your beautiful creations.Thanks for the freebie

17. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

Thanks so much for the fun Ribbit freebie, way cute. I just love your whimsical designs!

18. zippyoh

zippyoh Well-Known Member

This is adorable! Thank you so much!

19. AmandaJ

AmandaJ Adagio, or Allegro? I can't decide.

My all time favorite kit is Autumn. I have added this layout to the gallery today, but I made it in 2015. This spot is just glorious every autumn.
    [​IMG]

BUT my favorite season is Spring. So I bought this kit today! I can't wait to use it :heartslub.
    [​IMG]

And Thank you for the Freebie!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2022
    G.J. and Kristin Aagard like this.
  20. garrynkim

garrynkim I'm not messy, I'm just really creative!

Love everything in her shop!
    [​IMG]