Olympics | Pad Patter 2.6

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Feb 6, 2022.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I posted this meme on FB today, just because it really tickled me
    272959816_456463836201958_7627038611883207408_n.jpg

Are you watching the Olympics?
    Do you have a favorite winter sport?

I haven't been able to watch much yet because we've just been so busy! But, I really do love almost all the winter games!

Cherylndesigns and Sara like this.
  2. jaye

jaye My other car is a Zamboni!

I do. I love hockey of course, but Bobsled, Luge, Speed Skating, Snowboarding, Ski Jumping, and Downhill Skiing are my faves.

I absolutely detest our hockey jerseys-- the red with the black maple leaf isn't doing it for me and I don't like the shape of the maple leaf. Our snowboarders looked cool with red/black camo style.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  3. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

that one cracked me up too! We follow alll the hockey & try to catch other sports as we can...

IntenseMagic likes this.
  4. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Usually, I love the Olympics. I'm intentionally not watching this year though.

And since hockey is one of my faves, I'm disappointed for the NHL athletes who aren't able to compete this year. But I'm excited that they are only on break for the Allstar Weekend, and I get hockey back!

5. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I used to enjoy the Olympics but IMO the coverage of the sports has been lacking the past 20 or so years. I did enjoy bobsled and luge (think my love of roller coasters drew me to these sports). I used to enjoy figure skating but it just isn't the same for me anymore, loved the skaters from the 70's and 80's and early 90's.

My favorite Olympic moment though is for a sport that I don't even like... Miracle on Ice.

Like @bestcee I am intentionally not watching this year and am pretty much not even looking at news coverage about it either.

bestcee and IntenseMagic like this.
  6. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

I used to watch it with my Mom all the time, but it just reminds me too much of her. I don’t really watch now.

My favorite is actually the gymnastics in the Summer Olympics.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  7. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Bwahahahaha! That meme!

Are you watching the Olympics? No. I actually watched a little bit with my Daddy yesterday afternoon. It was the Biathlon - where they are skiing and then stopping to shoot targets.

Do you have a favorite winter sport? I love ice skating.

@bestcee @HavaDrPepper Why are you intentionally not watching? :think

IntenseMagic likes this.
  8. Sara

Sara Riding in the Neil mobile

I love all things Olympics. The story of a person, with a heart full of fire for something they love spending all of themselves to achieve their goals is such an amazing human story. And I love it so much. The skill and dedication of these athletes is incredible. Summer games are my favorite but I also enjoy the Winter games.

I love to watch my favorites like figure skating and snowboarding, hockey and curling, speed skating and alpine skiing, luge. But I also love to watch the events that I'm less familiar with like biathlon and cross country. For me personally, I am choosing to watch (though admittedly not nearly as much as I would normally) because I feel as though these athletes have no choice to be given this moment to achieve their life's goal in a location with a government I find objectionable or in a time of fractured and icky political landscapes and pandemic. I feel a little less enthusiastic about it this year though and find myself not watching nearly as much as usual. (and coverage is not at all good and hasn't been in a long time it seems like).

I do understand why many are not wanting to watch this year for various reasons and I support that decision.

9. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

NOPE and No. Olympics aint what they used to be...not watching.

10. IntenseMagic

This is exactly how I feel, although you stated it much more beautifully than I could. I also prefer the summer games, but I enjoy the sheer talent and and athleticism in all the games!

Sara likes this.
  11. IntenseMagic

I was just talking about this the other day in my class. It's probably the most memorable Olympic moment for me.

Sara likes this.
  12. mnjenlittle

mnjenlittle Dewey Decimal, I love you!

I think winter is my favorite. But I don't have a way to watch this year since we don't have cable or an antenna. But I'm ok with it. I follow TeamUSA on Instagram, to support the athletes, and I get to see little clips of performances. I got more out of watching that than subscribing to Peacock this summer. I really love all the sled sports. Something I would never try because I am a chicken. hahahaha

13. HavaDrPepper

@gonewiththewind

Honestly, I haven't watched any Olympics for probably 20 years so why start now.

AJK and gonewiththewind like this.
  14. meganmecrazy

meganmecrazy Caution: Randomly Breaks Out into Show tunes

Are you watching the Olympics? No.
    Do you have a favorite winter sport? I like to watch ice skating but I don't watch it very often.

15. HavaDrPepper

I lived in Toledo at the time and Mike Eruzione played hockey for the Toledo Goaldiggers of the IHL for 2 years before the Olympics. So his name was all over the news during that time since he was a captain for the Olympic team. He was close to my age and relatively easy to look at so I watched to see what the hype was all about. LOL

IntenseMagic likes this.
  16. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Sara touched on it in beautiful words of course! I have no issues with an athlete choosing to go and participate.

I hate to bring politics to the Pad, so all I will say is:
    There's a diplomatic boycott because of the way China represses and badly treats the Uyghurs. I was sad to learn that human rights activists tried to get people to boycott Berlin in 1936 over the Germans treatment of German Jews and failed. Also, I have been deeply troubled by the way China has backed down on it's promises to Britain about Hong Kong, and have silenced those who speak up about it. So, while I may not make a difference being one little person in Midwest America, for me, it's my way of protesting against these wrongs.

17. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

I like figure skating,and some of the skiing events. But because Maltese are not into any form of ice sports,we get O coverage. Direct on other sports channels is between 2 and 5 in the morning here so I will miss everything this year.
    I feel very sorry for any athlete that has trained for 4 years to achieve this goal,and then not get to go and do their best. Sports should never be used as a wedge for political gain, which is what this is, nothing else....

IntenseMagic likes this.
  18. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

I like watching, but don't get a lot of time too! I do like the bobsleds, luge, curling, and many others.

19. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I haven't even turned it on this year. I used to watch more, but I very rarely turn the TV on. When I watch something it's because my hubby has it on or asks me to watch a show with him. When I have watched in the past I do enjoy the ice skating. Curling just cracks me up. :giggle and that meme! Ha ha!

20. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

@bestcee Yep. You said it best.

@Karen That's me as well. :)

bestcee likes this.