January 29: Black Background

Discussion in 'MOC 10 Challenges' started by ashleywb, Jan 29, 2022.

1. mnjenlittle

mnjenlittle Dewey Decimal, I love you!

My cat is very schedule oriented. I just needed to wait for him to jump into his spot!
    [​IMG]

ashleywb likes this.
  2. easyeyes4you

easyeyes4you Well-Known Member

So this was my expression when I first read the challenge!!! BUT... I had so much fun, andl earned something new.... So cool.... Fastest challenge yet and I even had to take photos for it!!! Also my favorite challenge by far!!!

note: images taken on iPHone 13 pro in front of computer camera mode Portrait stage light

Raw photo with only a black brush on bottom. No other enhancing.

[​IMG]

ashleywb and threadjungle like this.
  3. AmandaJ

AmandaJ Adagio, or Allegro? I can't decide.

Funny story. My daughter has a light box she uses to photograph her art. I asked to borrow it and she said yes. But. When we went downstairs we found the fairies have been here and stolen all the backgrounds. The one inside was silver. Not black. So I had to go with plan B. I know what day I moved it because I took a picture of the space when it was clean. Hopefully the fairies will bring it back before she needs it. Usually they take the TV remotes, so this is new, LOL!

I decided to use an old print block I got in an antique store in Luxembourg. The bracelet was a gift to Ari a long time ago. This was a fun challenge, even with the Johnston search in the middle :).

[​IMG]

ashleywb and AJK like this.
  4. bumblebeee

bumblebeee Well-Known Member

5. bbachand

bbachand Well-Known Member

Really had to be creative with this one - and my subject was less than thrilled, but I got the shots. :agree
    [​IMG]
    (I photographed my cat in a black cubby. He wasn't thrilled to be put in it and it was hard to get my camera in there, but you can see the background in the larger photo in the upper right corner.)

ashleywb likes this.
  6. tw1717

tw1717 Pretty in Pink

[​IMG]

I took a photo today against a black large piece of cardboard of these flowers my dad bought me a few days ago when I had taken him out for errands (he can no longer drive due to failing vision but is still spunky) and I just love how they popped against the black.

Credits: R Jeffries - Stay Patient

7. bonnenuit

bonnenuit Why do I always have to be Captain?

I am so freaking proud of this photo!

[​IMG]

ashleywb, threadjungle and Joan K like this.
  8. Macsandy

Macsandy Member

Day 29 - Black background
    I took some pictures last night of our e-readers with the lights out for this challenge. I used a covered flashlight for the light in the picture on the left, but just the light from the e-reader for the photo of my hubby reading.
    Day 29-Do-Not-Disturb_web.jpg

ashleywb likes this.
  9. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Thank you for the challenge.
    [​IMG]

ashleywb likes this.
  10. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

I was up shortly after 4 a.m. and read the challenge. Our bathroom walls are a dark terra cotta, and we have a small mask collection hanging up in there. I shot with only a night light, and while the photos looked interesting, they were really grainy. And then daylight happened... I then found a very small piece of black felt & tried using it for a backdrop. My items popped, but it wasn't the effect I was looking for. So back to one of the masks. I thought about it more, pulled out a black wool coat of mine & draped it on the bed and laid my mask on top of it. I drew the blinds so it was a bit darker in the room and here is my result.

[​IMG]

ashleywb, threadjungle and Joan K like this.
  11. lorieh

lorieh Well-Known Member

Thank you for this challenge! I 100% would not have taken this photo of my granddaughter without it and I love it! I have used the slider on my iPhone to lighten a photo but never to under expose it to get this effect. Thanks for your tips! I photographed her standing in the window seat looking out the window. The birds were at the feeder which helped keep her still and luckily it was Saturday so grandpa was home to keep her from falling off the window seat:)
    [​IMG]

12. elseepe

elseepe I'll follow the sun

I used my laundry room and the back side of my old making memories scrap mat -- fortunately my washer is dark. Thanks for the tip on using iPad for light source. Also, thanks for making me find that exposure setting (I often just use the slider next to focus box, but I like this option for better control).

[​IMG]

For reference here is my setup:
    DarkPhotoSetup.jpg

13. tjscraps

tjscraps Tomorrow I'll do what I want to do

Thanks for the challenge! There were several outtakes til I could figure out how to light them up without lighting up the background lol Luckily my girls were willing models today (they aren't always!)

Outtake:
    IMG_7940.jpeg

[​IMG]

MamaBee, Karen, ashleywb and 2 others like this.
  14. jagruti patel

jagruti patel Me love cookies! Yum! Yum!

This was a challenge, but I love my photo and page! Thanks for the challenge!
    [​IMG]

ashleywb likes this.
  15. disneysheryl65

disneysheryl65 Snoring in perfect pitch

What a cool challenge. I love the way things pop off a black background. I do lighting assignments like this with my technical theatre students. I chose to take a picture of the COVID test I have to take tomorrow to go back to work on Monday. It's been a week, but the silver lining is being able to be home to work on these challenges! Thanks!

[​IMG]

ashleywb likes this.
  16. Ruthe14

Ruthe14 Branch Manager of my family

This little ceramic christmas tree was a gift from my 7 year old grandson...he picked it out himself. He hates when I put stuff away, so my special little gift will be on display all year. I set it on a black piece of cloth.
    [​IMG]

ashleywb likes this.
  17. AlyciaIN

AlyciaIN Well-Known Member

Here's my layout for today's challenge. It took a bit to get a good photo with a black background. I tried several different items for the background and played with the light sources before coming up with this photo of my husband's puzzle on one of my black sweaters.

[​IMG]

ashleywb likes this.
  18. Janisn

Janisn Well-Known Member

I roamed all around my house looking for dark corners and this is what I came up with.
    [​IMG]

ashleywb and bonnenuit like this.
  19. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

20. KAPOH

KAPOH Well-Known Member