January 26: Remembrance or Tribute Layout

Discussion in 'MOC 10 Challenges' started by bcgal00, Jan 21, 2022.

1. wvufan04

wvufan04 Well-Known Member

I've been thinking a lot about this sweet pup lately, was a great chance to remember him thank you

Journaling (576 words)
    RJ was our first dog as a married couple. We researched breeds for months, finally deciding on a German Shepherd. We then found a breeder out west of Omaha who was having puppies & would have one available when we could. The parents were both beautiful, the farm were they lived seemed just perfect. Shortly after we brought RJ home though and took him for well checks, we discovered he had a serious heart condition/defect & would require surgery. This was usually done when the pups were just born, so this late in his short life would be higher risk but without it he would not survive long. We had just found out we were expecting Noah, there was no way we could not do the surgery. We traveled from NE to Kansas for RJ to have his surgery, he was seen by some of the best vets in the country at one of the universities, but there was a complication and blood had to be stopped to his lower half for some time during the surgery. He ended up being paralyzed on his back half. RJ spent almost 2 months at Kansas State having in-person (or in-dog) therapy that was intense but helped him have bladder control and learn to get around with just his front legs working. We brought him home and loved on him, worked on training and just enjoying life as anyone with a dog would. Noah was born the following May and it was immediate love for RJ, he adored Noah. RJ taught us so much, his disability did not slow him down one bit. He played fetch and tug of war, he got up & down the steps without help, he ran through the house (often knocking over things with his hinds legs that trailed behind). We built him a temporary cart at about 6 months from PVC pipes and lawn mower wheels. The real carts were pricey and he was still growing. Once he was full grown, we bought him a real cart and he loved to go on walks and run with it. He didn’t use it in the house or back yard though, no need he got along just fine without it. The only problem was when it rained, since his back legs drug on the ground he would end up a muddy mess! I think he had more baths than any dog ever! He was always super patient for them though. He & Noah were the best of buddies once Noah was mobile, always by each other’s sides. RJ’s heart though began to fail and we sadly lost him in 2007, I was pregnant with Josh at this point & so heart broken. RJ taught us so much about love & life. He was simply the best boy and so handsome and gentle. Even now that it has been years since he passed and Josh & Addy never had the chance to meet him & Noah doesn’t really remember his buddy as he was just a baby the kids all know of this amazing pup who was part of our family for too short of a time. Somewhere there’s another pup who also gets to have some mobility thanks to RJ as we donated his special cart after he passed. RJ’s life was too short but he taught us that life is worth living to the fullest and enjoying regardless of any obstacles that come about.

[​IMG]

2. Scrap by Irre

Scrap by Irre Well-Known Member

350 words:

I got a big sister that is six years older than me. She has always been there for me and I have always looked up to her. I always wanted to be with her when we
    were little. She had all the fun stuff in her room. When she had eaten
    up all her candy, she swapped me for more with some of her stuff
    because I always had some of mine left.
    She had learned me about all the good and the bad things in life, just because she wanted to prepare me. When she moved out, she was the first one I always called when I had something I wanted to talk about. I didn’t have so many friends at that time of my life, and she was my best friend. Nowadays, she is still the first one I want to call to tell her about things in my life. But, now I got friends, but she is always the number one to call.
    When I got older we got more and more things in common, and we hit the town. We danced, we talked about guys and we had so much fun together. We also lived together in the same apartment one time. Until I met the man I now live with and have two kids together with.
    When we grow up, we got pregnant at the same time. That was one of my favorite happenings in our life. We had each other in this amazing experience, and our children had the pleasure to grow up together. The boys we expected then, are now 9 years old.
    My sister is always the one I ask for advice, and it has always felt that she knows everything. She knows about many things, from how to handle many different situations to more things like how to pack a bag effectively with the use of every little space.
    I love my sister to the moon and back. It feels like she has taught me everything and is my rock. She is the one that had a big influence on the one I am now!

3. umyesh

umyesh President of the Hangry Ladies Supper Club

329 Words
    Last year my aunt’s husband passed away and I was able to attend his funeral. As I heard his kids recount their fondest memories with their dad, it got me thinking about the wonderful times I’ve shared with my own dad. I have so many good things to say about my dad. He’s always been my coach and my biggest fan. Everyone who knows him loves him (except maybe referees). What stories about my dad do I have to share that no one else can share? I grew up with three older siblings and one younger sibling, and we had a lot of great times together as a family, so what memories are unique to me and my dad? One that always comes to mind first is going grocery shopping with him at Smith's. I'm sure we didn't always shop just me and him, but that's how I remember it. When I was growing up, my dad did all the grocery shopping. Before each trip to the store, he would look through the newspaper ads to see what was on sale. Then he would write down what to buy on a scrap of paper. {I still to this day love to see my dad’s handwritten lists.} Oh how I loved being his shopping buddy. I loved it when he would buy me one of the little boxes of circus animal crackers that had a string to hold on to. I loved it when he would play the quarter machines and win me prizes. (I loved it when he would let me play the machines too, but he was much better at actually winning prizes.) I loved it when he would ride the cart through the parking lot with me. Every time I push a grocery cart I think of my dad. Every. single. time. I love that something as simple as pushing a shopping cart will always keep my dad close to my heart, no matter where he is.
    [​IMG]

cfile likes this.
  4. cfile

cfile My bags are packed for Platform 9 3/4

Just get started and you will find the words just pour out it! When I did my page, I found my word count was over 750 words and that was going from beginning to end of the story. Just imagine you are on the phone with someone telling them what happened. Instead of talking, just type it! :)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
    easyeyes4you and turtlebug like this.
  5. garrynkim

garrynkim I'm not messy, I'm just really creative!

Remembrance page 503 words journaling in credits in gallery
    [​IMG]

Karen and cfile like this.
  6. AlyciaIN

AlyciaIN Well-Known Member

Here's my Tribute layout for today's challenge. Journaling consists of 372 words; text is in the Gallery with credits.

[​IMG]

cfile likes this.
  7. Vrielinkie

Vrielinkie Rub-a-Dub-Dub

A page remembering our very first vacation together...
    [​IMG]

Journaling (305 words):
    "Our very first ever vacation together was in 2008. We had just been together for about 6 months. I was working at a tour operator at that time and came across a good airline offer on some really, really cheap tickets to New York. We weren't even planning to go on holiday together anytime soon, since we were mostly broke but we jumped at this chance. It would be my second time visiting New York and my boyfriend's first time in the city. We booked a fairly cheap room in Harlem and stayed in the city for 5 days. We had such a blast. It was quite exciting! We visited all the highlights, such as the Empire State Building, went on a carriage ride through Central Park, we went to MOMA, visited the Statue of Liberty and took snapshots of Times Square. We also splurged on a helicopter ride over the Hudson river and it was our first time flying in a helicopter too. Afterwards we had a romantic dinner at the Pier nearby which was awesome. Even though I got sick the next day and you took care of me. I still cherish the photos of this trip so much. My camera wasn't an expensive one and it was already very old. So they photos were not of great quality and I only had one small memory card, so I couldn't really snap pictures of everything I wanted. But, they really show what a blast we had and how infatuated we were with each other. Being that we hadn't been together that long and weren't living together yet, we also grew so much closer from being together 24/7 and experiencing all these firsts. It really was the trip of a lifetime and I would like to repeat it again sometime, after 15 years...."

cfile likes this.
  8. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Why yes, I CAN help you get to Disney!

[​IMG]
    word count 439

cfile likes this.
  9. nfenchak

nfenchak Where is my personal shopper?

305 words
    [​IMG]

cfile likes this.
  10. Bethie

Bethie Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Journaling is copied into my layout thread here

cfile likes this.
  11. elseepe

elseepe I'll follow the sun

Journaling word count = 389

[​IMG]

cfile likes this.
  12. ta_merkins

ta_merkins Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain

Tribute to our house: 460 words

Home. This house. This house is my favorite place to be. This house isn’t a mansion…as a matter of fact it’s a trailer house on a basement. It still has some of the “trailer house” paneling although it’s all painted over. It’s not perfect by any means, but it’s home.

It does have many good things about it. I love that Ghabe can use his wheelchair throughout the whole upper floor. He’s had three surgeries already since we’ve lived here and it’s nice that he can move from his room to the living room to the kitchen to the bathroom. It helps him be independent. This house has plenty of windows for natural light including patio doors in the kitchen….windows in all the rooms….skylight in the bathroom. I love the natural light! The basement is awesome too! It’s fully finished with a living area (which we’ve turned into a gaming room) and a bar area with pool table….there’s a ¾ bathroom and spare bedroom too! Cainan uses the spare room as his office. We also have a laundry room and storage down there! The upper living area has the 3 bedrooms with 2 living areas (living room and what we call the front room) as well as the kitchen, 2 full bathrooms and my office. SO.MUCH.SPACE!! I do love all the space! The house also has a detached, heated garage. I never thought that would be important, but I love it. I love that I don’t have to scrape windows….and that I can put oil in the car while comfortable. It has a nice back yard with a deck and a patio. I love to sit on the deck and watch the birds while drinking coffee. We also have a fire pit that we use in the fall and summer!

We have plans for this house too. First up is getting the backyard fenced in. The dogs (and their people) cannot wait for this to happen. That will be so much better for them to run. We also want to finish taking out the panelling and put in drywall. We want to put carpet in the living room to make it more comfy and less formal. We want to re-do our bathroom- taking out the tub and putting in a much bigger shower. The other bathroom would benefit from a walk in tub (for Ghabe). The windows will need to be replaced to make them more energy efficient.

We owned a house before, but this one I feel like is our place. We still need to get some furniture and we still need to decorate some walls and we still need to implement some of our plans, but it’s a good place to live.

[​IMG]

cfile likes this.
  13. disneysheryl65

disneysheryl65 Snoring in perfect pitch

Thanks for the flexibility of a remembrance or tribute! I decided to pay tribute to one of our favorite vacation spots for years and years! 355 words.

[​IMG]

cfile likes this.
  14. cla

cla Well-Known Member

Always a good challenge! Thank you. (352 words)
    [​IMG]

cfile likes this.
  15. Mama Shades

Mama Shades Well-Known Member

oh my gosh! You've put into words EXACTLY how I feel. I'm also a teacher and I also hate journaling challenges :giggle Thanks for helping me finally figure out why I avoid journaling at all costs lol!

16. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Rob was like a mentor to me, so it hit me big time when he died suddenly in 2004. I met Rob as part of City of Sails Youth Stamp Club where he was one of the leaders. Over the almost ten years I knew him and was “mentored” by him I learnt so much not only about philately, stamp exhibiting but life skills – communication, research, time management, planning-all life skills I use to this day. Through him I was able to meet new people, travel New Zealand, exhibit multiple different stamp exhibits, and represent New Zealand. If it wasn’t for him, I’m not sure I would have become as well rounded and even have the career I do now…. maybe that fateful day when I decided to do a stamp exhibit on disability was the start of it all. It was possibly Rob introducing me to the world of “stamp camps” where I really flourished and grew up and, in a way, I did the most growing up the day after he tragically passed away. I was due to fly to Christchurch for another annual stamp camp where he was a leader with others from the club. Unfortunately, due to the events that happened on the 9th of July 2004, we no longer had an adult leader traveling with us. As I was the oldest member traveling to Christchurch, I became the “adult” responsible for the traveling group– I had just turned 17 on that day so not technically an adult but the best we had at the time. That trip down and camp was one of the hardest things I have ever done especially knowing I wouldn’t be able to attend the funeral back in Auckland and having to put on a relatively brave face during the camp even though everyone somewhat knew what had happened (308 words)

[​IMG]

cfile likes this.
  17. LynnG

LynnG Designer

cfile and QuiltyMom like this.
  18. familyhistoryscrapper

familyhistoryscrapper Once upon a time there was this dragon ...

19. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

589 words. Sorry, I was kind of rambling. I hope it makes sense!

Here's the journaling ... it will be easier to read this way.

I found this photo of us that Dad had taken when we were visiting Olvera Street in Los Angeles. The date is April 1964, I was four years old, and Grandma A was down from Oakland for a visit. We didn't see her very often since she lived a nine-hour drive away with airplane tickets being very expensive at the time. Yet when she did visit we'd do some fun things, and this day it was Olvera Street. It was typical of the type of photo that Dad would take, of us walking around where we were at with no posing allowed. I guess he felt that there were too many posed photos taken so he wanted to do something different. I'm glad he did this because there's so much to see in this photo, like the sign advertising big juicy tacos for 30¢ or two rolled taquitos for 30¢! I loved visiting here, and I haven't been back for literally decades. I wanted to bring my kids when we'd go visit my parents but it never quite happened. Olvera Street is the oldest part of downtown Los Angeles, a block-long narrow, tree-shaded Mexican marketplace. It is near the site of the first Spanish colony where eleven Mexican families settled in 1781 on order of King Carlos the III of Spain. It was a place that I would visit periodically over the years, from school field trips to playing tour guide to visiting friends. It was so fun to explore and see all the new and wonderful Mexican craft goods for sale in the different booths that we just didn't see anywhere else. I couldn't get enough of it. I remember my 5th grade field trip to there where all the boys bought sugar cane to eat and the girls bought these 36" tall ceramic banks of cats with these crazy elongated necks. It was just what everyone did. Those of us in the younger grades would look at envy at the students arriving back to the school after their trip with their purchases. It was something to look forward to when it was our turn to go. Yes, I bought a cat bank, and I had it until high school when I broke it apart to get the coins that I had placed in it over the years. I do remember buying some Mexican Jumping Beans during one visit when we still lived in San Gabriel, and I was simply enthralled by them. (They are seed pods inhabited by the larvae of Cydia deshaisiana, a small moth. They jump when they are heated because the larvae move inside the shell.) I remember playing with them in the "way back" of our old Rambler station wagon as we drove somewhere in the night time. I was very sad when they eventually stopped jumping, and even more sad when Dad wouldn't make the drive back to Olvera Street so I could buy some more. Another time, when I was still in elementary school, Dad bought some wrought iron hanging lanterns with purple glass that he hung up outside in our covered patio. They weren't electrified but they sure did look pretty hanging there all the years they had the house. I wonder what ever happened to them? It's funny the things that you remember once you start thinking about it... One day I'll get back there for another visit, but now that I live on the other side of the country I really don't know when that will be. Someday!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
    cfile likes this.
  20. mnjenlittle

mnjenlittle Dewey Decimal, I love you!

319 words all about my Bailey. She was only around another 8 months after this.
    [​IMG]

cfile likes this.