cleaning your iMac?

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by Gina, Jan 16, 2022.

1. Gina

Gina Some women fear the fire. Some women become it.

Hi guys!

I've been on an iMac for about 15 years but I always clean everything up manually. My latest machine is running Big Sur (purchased not even a year ago...) and my Other folder is so high!! I cannot access it. I am wondering if anyone actually uses a Mac cleaning program that they love? I don't want to pick something blindly and then lose important files.

Thanks!

2. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I do not speak Mac. :giggle I know there are lots of Mac users around though, so hopefully they can help. When I read the thread title I thought you meant like dusting the top of it or something. Lol.

bestcee and Gina like this.
  3. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Despite having used an iMac since 2011 I've never used a cleaning program.
    Many years ago, for an unrelated reason, I had to reformat my hard drive and that got rid of whatever it is that clutters our Other storage. That's all I can think of.
    Now that I got a new iMac in 2020, I don't even see the Other category. I wonder if they got rid of it. That would be awesome. It was particularly annoying on my phone a while back. And I don't see it there either.

Gina likes this.
  4. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

me too, i need clean my toshiba laptop keys, kinda need the delete key to work

Gina likes this.
  5. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

Im sorry. I never used a cleaning program either.

Gina likes this.
  6. Gina

:rollin

Karen likes this.
  7. Gina

My last iMac DIED in Feb 2021. Like, just would not open and I had a ton of client files I was in the middle of. I had to go out that day and buy a new one, which I did. I feel like the Other storage was immediately pretty large. It was weird, there's hardly anything on it, or wasn't a year ago.

I am going with my gut and not downloading any programs quite yet. I did a sear for certain files the other day, and despite deleting them when I download, or at least trying to, I found a TON of .tif files that I do not use. Well, deleted those and cleared like 80-90 gigs of space. lol So, that was good for the time being. :jumpey

Karen and michelepixels like this.
  8. justjaimee

justjaimee Designer

I use macpaw clean my Mac:) I’ve used that program for over 6 years. I need to free up Ram regularly because I use photoshop heavily and it fills up quick and can slow down. It’s also useful to clean things up!

https://macpaw.com/cleanmymac

Karen likes this.