January 18: All black or all white with B/W photo

Discussion in 'MOC 10 Challenges' started by amandac, Jan 18, 2022.

1. amandac

amandac Read, or Run? Hmmm ...

January 18: All black or all white with B/W photo

Hi everyone and welcome to Day 18 of MOC 10! I hope you are all hanging in there and having a great time!

Today’s challenge is all about the BEAUTY of Monochrome, more specifically the beauty to be found in a Black or White monochromatic palette. As you all know, monochromatic colour refers to a colour scheme that is comprised of variations of one colour.

Monochromatic images are so lovely and elegant and I wanted to recreate that here with you for today's challenge.

For this challenge I would like you to create a new page with EITHER, an All Black OR, an All White palette . There should be no other colours on your page including NO white on the black page, and NO black on the white page, except in the photo(s).

You must have at least 1 black and white photo on your page. You may have more than one photo, but ALL photos must be black and white. You cannot have any colour photos.

Your page must include 1 paper and a minimum of 10 elements (this count does not include frames, alphas or word art).

To help, I have created a sample page for each option and I have listed the items used on the page.

All BLACK Page

MOC-Jan-18-Black.jpg
    10 elements

1 black heart, 1 black bead element, 1 black button, 1 black lace, 1 black flower, 1 black rosette, 1 black tassel, 1 black pom pom ribbon, 1 black stitching, 1 black stitched circle
    1 Paper
    1 black LBW paper
    Extra
    1 black word art,1 black frame

All WHITE Page

MOC-Jan-18-White.jpg
    10 elements

1 white button, 1 white paper flower,1 white lace,1 white lace flower,1 white crotchet flower,1 white corner stitch,1 white gesso element,1 white paper bow,1 white bead element,1 white paper heart
    1 paper
    1 white paper
    Extra
    1 white frame,1 white word art

Here are some lovely pages from the Pollys that will help inspire you!
    @MiekSter
    MOC-10_Day_18-MiekSter.jpg
    @Eyeore
    FindmeHere-eyore.jpg
    @ArmyGrl
    MOC18_AllBlackOrWhite_Prisoner-armygirl lisa.jpg
    @bellbird
    MOC10-19-WOW-lovelyColourfixed-700pxJustine.jpg

The Rules for this challenge:
    • You must have at least 1 black and white photo on your page. You may have more than one photo, but ALL photos must be black and white. You cannot have any colour photos.
    • Your page must use EITHER All black or All white products. There should be no additional colours and NO white on the black page, and NO black on the white page.
    • You must have a minimum of 1 paper and 10 elements on your page
    In addition to the individual rules for this challenge, please follow our overall guidelines:
    Your page must be a new page in order to count for the Month of Challenges. Your page must be posted in three places:

1. Uploaded to the TLP Gallery (not an outside hosting site).
    2. Posted in your page thread you created in the MOC Layouts Folder. You should have one post per completed challenge page. If you complete all 31 challenges, your thread should contain 31 posts. Please do not comment in the participants’ page threads so we can keep them clean.
    3. Posted in this thread. People can comment here if they wish.

Your page must contain Lilypad product (pages with photos and font only do not count). If you use product from other stores, your pages must contain at least 75% current Lilypad product (currently for sale in the store from either permanent designers or guest designers).

crazsquaw, Karen, mnjenlittle and 4 others like this.
  2. amandac

Reserved for Q&A's

Q - Can we use templates? and can we use the white stroke of an action like Cheryl has in her style set?
    A - Templates are perfectly fine! But no, a white stroke action should not used if you are going to do a Black page

Q - Can we have a small line of text or a date in black if it's a white page?
    A - Yes to a small date but No to the text. This is because the date is tiny and doesn't detract from the overall look of the page.

Q - May we use repeat elements? Like two or three of the same flower or bead or whatever? Or do they need to be 10 different elements with no repeats?
    A - I don't have any restriction on repeating elements but it would be great to see more than 10 of the same element. Two or three of the same element is fine. :agree

Q - Can you desaturate to strip an element of color so that it can be used, or do you have to find elements in kits that are devoid of color for this challenge?
    A - I don't mind a little desaturation but would prefer you to have fun and hunt through your stash for your black/white elements where possible :)

Q - does black paint count as an element?
    A - Yes, black paint counts as an element, as long as I can see it clearly!

Q - just wondering if I can use more than one piece of paper... like paper strips? and would they count as extras or can they be part of the 10 elements?
    A - You can indeed use more than one piece of paper but they will count as extras. :agree

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
    crazsquaw, G.J. and bellbird like this.
  3. Aerobigirl

Aerobigirl Well-Known Member

Ooooh! This is going to be gooooood!

amandac likes this.
  4. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

two questions from me @amandac, can we use templates? and can we use the white stroke of an action like what @gonewiththewind has in her style set?

amandac likes this.
  5. Aerobigirl

Question! Can we have a small line of text or a date in black if it's a white page? I notice there's a very small date on the white page and I'd like to do something similar.

amandac likes this.
  6. amandac

Yes Jennifer, Templates are perfectly fine! But no, a white stroke action should not used if you are going to do a Black page :)

littlekiwi likes this.
  7. amandac

Thats a good question! So .... Yes to a small date but No to the text. This is because the date is tiny and doesn't detract from the overall look of the page.

8. Jan

Jan I'm sorry, I can't. I'm busy doing nothing!

May we use repeat elements? Like two or three of the same flower or bead or whatever? Or do they need to be 10 different elements with no repeats?

amandac likes this.
  9. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Tough one. I LIVE for color. But my son helped me get it done! :) Thank you!

[​IMG]

10. amandac

Hi Jan.... I don't have any restriction on repeating elements but it would be great to see more than 10 of the same element. Two or three of the same element is fine. :agree

Jan and AJK like this.
  11. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

i love white, in flowers at dusk and in appliance, walls etc. but how do a page seem inpossible

12. amandac

Cath you always pull together a great MOC page .... you've got this!!

Cath_ and AJK like this.
  13. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

[​IMG]
    Mine linked to gallery for credits

Ferdy, got2digiscrap and amandac like this.
  14. SeattleSheri

SeattleSheri Movers, cleaners, great hair. I'm a socialite!

I love monochromatic pages! This is my first time doing an all black page. So fun!!!
    Elements: 14 flowers, 1 bow, 4 star scatters, 4 foliage, 1 tag, 1 burst, 1 butterfly
    [​IMG]

Karen, Thuria, MamaBee and 3 others like this.
  15. Aerobigirl

16. DopeyGal

DopeyGal I don't like deserted islands!

17. CaroRen

CaroRen Well-Known Member

First time making an all black layout :D Thanks for the fun challenge!
    [​IMG]

amandac likes this.
  18. LynnG

LynnG Designer

amandac, Karen and Cath_ like this.
  19. Aerobigirl

FIXED - took out two Pink Reptile items and replaced with three additional qualifying items. List of credits is below as well as on fixed layout.

[​IMG]

Removed two Pink Reptile items and replaced with the following 3 items:

BUTTON 2 - Button Box - Lynn Grieveson
    Horizontal shoe string - Kim Jensen - Spell It
    Little white bow - Memory Pockets Monthly - Kindred

All other items remain the same, and are:

Paper - Mega-Solids 5 - Amy Wolff
    Frame - Pause - Sabrina's Creations
    Button - Do It For Yourself - Sabrina's Creations (used twice)
    Largest white flower - Sahin Designs - Bright Side
    Pleated paper circle - Good Vibes - Pink Reptile Designs (used once)
    Smaller flower - Crazy Cat Lady - Little Butterfly Wings
    Lace 1 (all 4 laces are behind frame) - Pure and Simple - Pink Reptile Designs
    Lace 2 - This and That - Sabrina's Creations
    Lace 3 - Boho Fall - Bella Gypsy
    Lace 4 - Bright Side - Sabrina's Creations
    Stitches - Palette Cleanser - Allison Pennington

amandac likes this.
  20. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

@amandac Can you desaturate to strip an element of color so that it can be used, or do you have to find elements in kits that are devoid of color for this challenge?