Annual "Back Up" PSA

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Chippi, Jan 3, 2022.

1. Chippi

Chippi Those chicken nuggets are just waiting to attack

Please excuse my colourful language but:
    [​IMG]
    Side note... Great show btw "The Good Place" on Netflix

HEY EVERYONE!!!

Back up your stuff! To more than one place!
    I finally got a minute to sit down and figure out what I will do for Day 1 of MOC and my external hard drive is freezing. I have had it unplugged for about two weeks and plugged it in today and it is being a poopy pants.
    LUCKILY! I have Backblaze - recommended to me by lovely Gals on here - so I am not worried, it is ALL backed up if I need it, but retrieving it is going to take a little while.
    I know plenty of people, myself included who have/had ONE hard drive with everything on it and have lost it.

So please please please please back up your photos and digi scrap stuff to more than a single hard drive.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
  2. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

@Chippi ALWAYS a good reminder!

Just wanted to point out that Backblaze offers a Restore Return Refund program. You get all your files sent to you on an external hard drive for $189, and you send it back to them in 30 days and get the $189 returned to you.

It may be a better option than trying to download via internet, especially if you don't have unlimited service.

3. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Ooh this reminds me, I need to get a bigger EHD next time one is on sale. I already have Backblaze and that’s saved me time and time again.

Chippi likes this.
  4. Chippi

Yep they sure do! It's such a good service!! I had kind of forgotten about it, lol!!
    Not a huge help for me in Australia, though, especially being on a time constraint like MOC. Luckily I do have unlimited internet, so if I can't get it working soon, I will just begin to download and do it over night. All good!
    It has just recognised that it is there, so that's a nice big step. I am hoping to get it to successfully can for errors.

Much love to you Cheryl <3

gonewiththewind likes this.
  5. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

@Chippi, I feel your pain re: downloading from Backblaze from the bottom of the world. I think if I remember I left it going all night most nights and used their downloader as well. I also did it in manageable “chunks” of data so I didn’t overwhelm my internet and didn’t have too many failed downloads.

Chippi likes this.
  6. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Yup, make sure to not only have one copy but also actually back up your stuff. (Not to sound like a lexicon nerd, but quick note: if a digital file is saved ONLY on an EHD, then it isn't "backed up." It's the only copy. That means if that single EHD conks out, then everything on it *that isn't backed up somewhere else like a computer or diff. EHD or BB* is lost. I've heard too many people say they "backed up" their stuff to their EHD so to save computer space they delete it from their computer. But but but...now our EHD is the only copy of your files. It is no longer a backup. If someone has two EHDs--or also uses a cloud-based service, like BB--and backs up everything onto both of them, then that's when one of those copies is a backup.)

Chippi, does BB back up your EHD? Because if you haven't had it plugged in for 2 weeks and if you don't pay for longer storage, then you only have like 2 weeks left to download stuff. Otherwise they might trash everything because they delete after 30 days without a new device scan. (There is a way to Pause BB but IDK how to do it, but you might want to Google that!)

Chippi likes this.
  7. Chippi

YES YES YES!! THIS!! EHD's aren't immune to damage or breaking, so if that's the only place they are stored, that doesn't count as a back up.

I got the alert about 2 weeks ago that it needed to be plugged in, and I did. It is usually plugged in all the time, but I hurt my back about a month ago and I still have trouble sitting up for extended periods of time. So I have been using my laptop on a wooden place mat on my legs on the couch, and I didn't want to have it dangling and straining on the cord, so it was just unplugged. I have checked and it is all still active.

BUT!!!

It has scanned (on my little study laptop, not my beast laptop) and repaired whatever errors were there, so in a little while I will plug it back into my beast and see how we go! Yay!

8. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

If my BBlaze isn't working, I'm screwed!!!!! I also auto backup to Google Photos and Flickr, plus about 5 others.

Chippi likes this.
  9. gonewiththewind

And back at you! Glad to read that the EHD is starting to behave! LOL

Chippi likes this.
  10. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Omgosh! I love The Good Place!!
    Thanks for the reminder! I did a little back up during Christmas break, but I need to finish it up!

Chippi likes this.
  11. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

I just backed up all my files this past weekend after I realized I hadn't done it since last April! EEk!! Thanks for the reminder!

Chippi likes this.
  12. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I've got a trio of backups. My iMac is always backing up to an EHD with Time Machine, I manually upload my photos and scrapbook pages to Smugmug every week, and Backblaze automatically backs up everything for me too. :beat

Chippi and bestcee like this.
  13. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

These types of threads always give me the cold sweats! I'm glad to see that your EHD is behaving again. Phew! And glad you had a backup just in case too. I just did mine over the weekend. I try for every Friday, but with the holidays and a busy December it had been over two weeks and that always makes me jittery. I don't use a service, I just back up to another EHD at home AND another one at work (for my off site backup).

Chippi likes this.
  14. Chippi

Darn it... I spoke too soon :P Currently intermittently transferring to hubby's EHD because now it is day time again and I don't want to use too much bandwidth cause we are all home and everyone plays online games.

gonewiththewind likes this.
  15. gonewiththewind

Yes, it's hard to tell everyone to get off the internet! There would mass revolt at my house. LOL

Chippi likes this.
  16. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

LOL ... my grandson was yelling at his mom about hogging the bandwidth one day. That night or the next she was off, but I was on ... he was screaming to his friends that his xBox game was lagging, then looked at me ... I quickly told him not to say it ... I pay for the internet and I'm using it. I was watching Netflix I think. Mean Memaw

Chippi, Karen, bestcee and 2 others like this.
  17. gonewiththewind

I don't think that makes you mean! You pay for it and you should have priority!

Chippi and Tree City like this.
  18. dawnmarch

dawnmarch Actually, no. You are not funny!

Good reminder! I back up to Backblaze and it has saved my bacon when my EHD crashed one year. I also do a backup to a second EHD and I need to update that one - it's been a while.

Chippi and bestcee like this.
  19. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

I have 2 external drives for back ups. One has only photos and finished layouts, the other have everything. I've used my backups a few times.

Chippi likes this.
  20. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

It's good for kids to hear no. :agree And you're totally right, you pay for it, you get to use it! :)

Chippi likes this.