January 2: Then and Now Photography Challenge

Discussion in 'MOC 10 Challenges' started by tkradtke, Jan 1, 2022.

1. sharonb

sharonb Cher Memere

The kitchen remodel done in 2010. Pink countertops, celiling fan with vines and flowers, pink floral wallpaper border and pink background color. Wow what a sight it was!!! The picture on the pad shows the old kitchen.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
    LynnG likes this.
  2. chloe_digiscrap

chloe_digiscrap Well-Known Member

Do the challenge criteria has to be met in every picture used on the LO? I took my challenge photo but I want to use the "then" picture as well, on its own, because you can't see it well in the challenge photo (I had to use a wide aperture and it's slightly blurry as I focused on the background). TIA for your reply!

3. jagruti patel

jagruti patel Me love cookies! Yum! Yum!

4. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

@tkradtke - Is this a photo that must be taken this month, as in January 2022? I'm assuming it is, but I'm also asking because I have a photo of my daughter that I haven't scrapped yet holding her kindergarten picture on the day she graduated from high school, which was taken in 2018.

I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask!! Thanks.

LynnG likes this.
  5. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

This is a perfect one for me. I love making then and now pages. I've never put the Then photo inside the Now photo though! I almost wanted to put the old photo on the page as well, bigger, so it's easier to see. I might turn this into a two page spread so I can do that.
    [​IMG]

LynnG and tkradtke like this.
  6. meagan43

meagan43 Um, did you know that you're wrong?

Here is mine. I was going to scrap this photo of all of the Fast Passes that we held on Nov 20, 2012 and I printed the photo to take with the Shadow Box we have of our unused Passes.
    Journaling Reads:
    I love how you used to be able to "stack" Fast Passes. We had 7 passes for our last day. We had a great time trying to hit all our favs. I started this shadowbox to hold the passes that we didn't use. I guess this is as full as it will ever get since you cannot get them anymore!
    [​IMG]

7. Joan K

Joan K Maybe I'll just grow down

I dug back in the albums to find a picture from our first Christmas as a married couple (1978). Here we are over 43 years later! I put the original on our current Christmas tree - scrapped both to show more detail. This was a fun challenge! Thanks!!
    [​IMG]

8. frutselke

frutselke I belong among the wildflowers...

You are all posting such lovely stories. I love reading them.
    Here's my Then and Now. We have season passes to the zoo but are unable to use them as we are in lockdown once again. So we look at our photos instead.
    [​IMG]

LynnG, tkradtke and threadjungle like this.
  9. Carla

Carla Well-Known Member

Thank you for this! I had several things that I could have done but my Husband stepped in to seal the deal!

[​IMG]

10. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

11. Mingo08

Mingo08 Ctrl+Z is my friend

Wow, at first I was intimidated because we are not currently at *home* but a rental for two months 1,000 miles away! Then I started brainstorming and now have multiple options (and one photo taken). Now to decide what way to go on this!

There are a lot of GREAT historic an storytelling pages shown already! But, I love the idea of just "before and after" and doing it NOW - this may become a puzzle page as in "puzzle in box" - three days elapse - finished puzzle with photo of the puzzle in the box. We will see...

Then again, I've got another idea brewing...

bellbird and LynnG like this.
  12. easyeyes4you

easyeyes4you Well-Known Member

Not sure where I am going to land with this one, but I do not understand why you have to have a printed physical photo... Many of my old photos are scanned into the computer and would be easy to place into a new Digital page as shown... PS...LOVE this concept.. so many cool examples... definitely gets the brain working so my only issue is with the logistics...

Last edited: Jan 2, 2022
    mcurtt likes this.
  13. plumdumpling

plumdumpling CT - Krista Sahlin

This is a really cool challenge! Thanks!

The old willow tree and the bud vases that were made from the willow tree.

[​IMG]

tkradtke, lorieh and LynnG like this.
  14. mcurtt

mcurtt give me all the paleo brownies

With mine, I used a physical photo from 1978 and propped it up on the buffet with my nutcracker in the background. I then took a photo of it all this a.m.

LynnG and easyeyes4you like this.
  15. Annsofie

Annsofie Crime Books & Cozy Nooks

16. wvufan04

wvufan04 Well-Known Member

17. tkradtke

tkradtke Professional Brainstormer

All great examples!! Love them all!

Tree City likes this.
  18. tkradtke

Nope! Just as long as your challenge photo is prominently displayed on your page, you're able to add any supporting photos that you would like to the page.

Thanks for the question... I may add it to the FAQ post!

chloe_digiscrap likes this.
  19. KELLIE R GUZMAN

KELLIE R GUZMAN Well-Known Member

20. tkradtke

I think the thing that might help with this is thinking of this as a photography challenge. It's not strictly a "then and now" page... it is a "then and now" photography challenge. Inspiration for this challenge originally came from examples like I linked in the original post which incorporated an old photo into a new scene...

"Here are some links to some ideas as well:

https://dearphotograph.com (Beautiful caption ideas as well)

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/portrait-smiling-senior-couple-holding-old-613477145"

The printed hard copy (or digitally displayed photo) is placed into a now/current day scene and you take a photo of that to use on your digital page. Does that help clear things up for you? If not, send me a PM and we'll get it figured out! :-)

bellbird and bestcee like this.