Email | Pad Patter 12/27/21

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by weaselwatchr, Dec 27, 2021.

1. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

My email is out of control. I do not check it daily which is an issue because I literally get hundreds of emails a day. I need to go through and unsubscribe from a bunch of newsletters so that the madness ends. I know they have several services out there that help with that. But I haven’t had much luck with them. I have about 50k emails right now.
    Do you check your email everyday?
    Do you have multiple email addresses?
    Are you good about keeping your email tidy deleting after you read?
    Do you have any kind of system to limit the amount of emails you get daily?

2. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

I have two email addresses - my main one that I’ve had since I was 15 is out of control. The only reason I’ve ever deleted or unsubscribed to anything was gmail saying I was almost out of storage space unless I wanted to pay. The 2nd one I got given when I was studying so it’s far less full. Now that I’m not studying at the same institution I use it as my job hunting email. If I used my main account important emails would be lost forever!

weaselwatchr likes this.
  3. meganmecrazy

meganmecrazy Caution: Randomly Breaks Out into Show tunes

I have a crazy amount of emails to go through. It's so overwhelming.
    Do you check your email everyday? For the most part yes, but I'm sure I have missed a day here and there.
    Do you have multiple email addresses? Yes. Personal and work
    Are you good about keeping your email tidy deleting after you read? No :(
    Do you have any kind of system to limit the amount of emails you get daily? Nope...sigh...

weaselwatchr likes this.
  4. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Do you check your email everyday? Almost always
    Do you have multiple email addresses? Yes
    Are you good about keeping your email tidy deleting after you read? Yes
    Do you have any kind of system to limit the amount of emails you get daily? Yes. I deal with spam immediately and then move on to emails that I might have subscribed to but they are sending too many emails - I'll cancel the subscription right away. Sometimes I will have a rule set up so certain emails go into a specific folder in Outlook.

Right now, I have 63 emails, 47 unread, but I've taken time off for Christmas. :)

5. Cath_

Cath_ In my polka dot dress and apron

mine a mess, has been for years, i use outlook, if gets to much, i create a new .pst file, and send new mail to it. need deal with them someday

6. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I can go days without looking at my email sometimes. But I don't get much, and almost never anything personal. Most of it are newsletters and ads from stores/businesses I like.
    I only have one main address, but I have an iCloud address I rarely use, and as of starting my current job in August I have a work address.
    I do delete a lot of my mail after I look at it, but I keep a lot for possible future reference too. So I have hundreds of read emails in my inbox because I rarely go through the old stuff I no longer need. But it doesn't bother me; I don't actually see it.
    The only system I'd say I have is to refrain from subscribing to things I don't really want and unsubscribing from things as soon as I realize I don't want them anymore.

7. Angela Toucan

Angela Toucan I keep looking for THAT wardrobe

I have a number of email addresses. One for personal/family, one for buisnesses/admin, and one for forums. That makes the organising easier. I have had issues in the past when a buiness got a virus that sent me email address everywhere and I had to change it. it was so difficult contacting everyone who needed to know. So now if that happens again It only affects one aspect of my "email life".

I check daily, and if I find that I'm getting too much of something or am not reading something I'm subscribed to then I unsubscribe. I don't delete anything, so if I want to re-subscribe or check the website for something I've unsubscribed from to find out what's happening I have those details in an old email.

I use Thunderbird to access and organise my emails. I have subfolders inside my inbox with filters set up so all emails relating to scrapbooking go in a scrapbooking folder, school into a school folder etc etc. That makes my checking of emails easier and ensures I don't miss anything important on days when I get lots.

8. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I remember back in the day when email really became a "thing" and how uncluttered it seemed compared to the junk that was in my actual mailbox every day :giggle:giggle Now there are days that my mailbox is empty, but my email...yikes.
    I do check my work email every day, because we are required to multiple times a day and it stays open all because we use Google Chat as our district communication tool. But, I have not opened it since break started and won't until next Monday lol.
    I currently have 2 home email addresses. Basically one was set up for all the newsletters, stores, etc. The other was set up for important things like bills and personal communication. It has not stayed that way. They are both full of junk. I don't check every day because I rarely get anything important. Most of the time, when I do check, I do a quick scan without opening and then just delete all. I have folders for the important stuff that sneaks in occasionally. I am so bad about unsubscribing. I tried Unroll Me for awhile but I'm not sure it was very helpful.

9. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

Do you check your email everyday? Yes, most days
    Do you have multiple email addresses? two
    Are you good about keeping your email tidy deleting after you read? nope, I delete and block spam asap though
    Do you have any kind of system to limit the amount of emails you get daily? nope, I unsubscribe often, or leave newsletters and recipes etc unread.

10. Ga_L

Ga_L Well-Known Member

Do you check your email everyday? I try to check everyday
    Do you have multiple email addresses? oh yes... I have 2 personnal addresses and 3 (I think) for the scrap. I have addresses for the CT stuff, an other for the newsletters and the 3rd I don't remind for what, lol
    Are you good about keeping your email tidy deleting after you read?Yes I try, I use labels to know what is important and what I must keep.
    Do you have any kind of system to limit the amount of emails you get daily? Yes, when I see that since few weeks the newsletter is deleted too often, I unsubscribe from the newsletter.

11. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Yes, I check mine every day. Multiple times during the day even especially if I am waiting on replies.

Yes, I do have multiple email addresses although I only check my havadrpepper address daily. The oldest one is the email I got from my provider when I signed up over 25 years ago. I now have to check it online and if I do it is usually full of spam. I also have a couple of gmail accounts that I set up to use for websites I don't want to have my main one. If I think to check them they are usually all spam as well.

I do have 156 emails sitting in my inbox in gmail right now. My routine is to read and delete right away both the inbox and spam folder. I do keep those that are reminders for bill payments or stuff like that. Once I've verified the bill payment is scheduled the email is deleted. For bank statement reminders, once I've downloaded the statement the email is deleted. Amazon order emails are kept until the item is received then deleted. I've tried using labels and sorting them but I just don't like how gmail does it. About once a week I will go through the inbox again and see if there are emails that can be deleted.

My only system to limit the number of emails is to not sign up for everything under the sun. I only sign up for what I want. I've had several cases where I've unsubscribed for emails but continue to get them. I put them in my spam filter and they eventually stopped.

I've tried setting up email programs to filter my gmail account to but they just never worked right. I used a program called Eudora when I first got on the internet and I loved that program. Unfortunately, it hasn't been updated for many years. Outlook and Thunderbird just didn't compare for me. I hated using Outlook when I worked. The beauty of the gmail account is that I can get to it no matter what device I'm on so there are a few emails that I keep in the inbox in case I need the info. For important things that I need to keep I print the email as a pdf file and save it.

12. marijke

marijke Weekends are for wine.

Do you check your email everyday? I check every day
    Do you have multiple email addresses? no
    Are you good about keeping your email tidy deleting after you read? Emails that have been read and that I no longer need will be deleted immediately. In my inbox I have a number of folders to keep mail in ...
    Do you have any kind of system to limit the amount of emails you get daily? emails I get and which I often don't read = I unsubscribe from that ... I've done a major cleaning in the last few weeks

13. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

SO true!!! I am trying to keep letter writing alive, but I only have one friend who wrote for any length of time. We wrote about monthly in 2020, then even she stopped writing last summer. But she wrote again this month. I wrote unique letters to several friends at the end of November/beginning of December to put in holiday cards. She was the only one who replied. Well, also my Dad, but he used the phone. :lol

14. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

Do you check your email everyday? Yes!
    Do you have multiple email addresses? yes, but really only one that I used regularly
    Are you good about keeping your email tidy deleting after you read? YES! OMG- I am WAY too ocd and organized... I only have 8 emails in my mail inbox- and 14 folders that I move stuff to. I CANNOT have a notification- it drives me crazy.
    Do you have any kind of system to limit the amount of emails you get daily? I used to use unroll.me- it would send me one email a day with all the newsletters & things I am subscribed. It stopped working correctly & the support people were jerks, so I canceled it. I have definitely unsubscribed a lot in the last month for companies that send mult emails EVERY DAY- (looking at you bath & body works!) I usually check it in the morning, delete everything that I don't' want to open. Then later go back & read anything important.

15. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I check email pretty much every day, usually 2-5 times throughout the day. I don't delete much but I should. Sometimes searching for something takes forever b/c there are so many emails to search thru.

I have 3 main emails and one email is just for bill invoicing.

I unsubscribe to companies that I don't find relevant anymore.

16. sakura-panda

sakura-panda Well-Known Member

Do you check your email everyday? I check every day I'm on my computer, which is not daily. I would like it to be daily!

Do you have multiple email addresses? Yes. I have the one that I used to use for online signups, the one I moved to after the first one became overrun with spam, the one for my google account that uses my real name (that I don't give out to protect from spam), and the one I pay for (which has multiple aliases).

Are you good about keeping your email tidy deleting after you read?
    Yes. I delete all except for the most recent email so that I have a good link if I want to actually go to a specific site. Information only emails are sorted into descriptive labels.

I don't understand the question, so I'm going to say no. LOL The closest I have is that I immediately archive all of my gmail, except for a few that I want to see as they arrive. They are all weeded whenever I get around to checking my email. The more important emails go to my paid account so that I notice and attend to them immediately.

17. Nemla

Nemla Stretching my skill set

Yes And no ,I check my main E.mail every day.
    I have 3 different Emails. 1 main that used to be personal and private mail only, bills,and family stuff,(and shared with my hubby )but some newsletters sneaked their way in. And that is a annoying to say the least. 1 (shop /place where they have live classes) sent multiple emails nearly every day in December. I unsubscribed,but they kept coming,marked as junk now, hopefully they will stop,I don't want to block them,I use their shop.
    1 that is linked to my Facebook account. That was set up as the same time as my FB. And used only for that because they require an address. I never ever open it.
    And 1 Email that has my name,so it is Simi personal . I check that one a out once a week. Unless I am taking a class. Then every day since school stuff goes there.
    I spent half a day last week getting rid of stuff a d unsubscribing.
    I am good at deleting unwanted mail,but not so good at deleting personal letters,or old bills ect....just in case......lol

18. tinkerbell1112

tinkerbell1112 Offical Ambassador of the Magic Kingdom

Do you check your email everyday? YES!

Do you have multiple email addresses? YES! I actually have 13. EEK. I have tried to create more but yahoo won't let me. LOL. My husband has a few, and my kids each have 2 (gmail & school). I try to keep things separated as much as possible. I have 2 at my main job (we're merging, so 1 for each company name), I have 1 for my travel job, one gmail, 8 yahoo that each have their own functions, and an Outlook email at home. I may have another I'm forgetting to check. hahahahaha.

Are you good about keeping your email tidy deleting after you read? I have folders in every email address that things are filed in. If an email comes into the wrong address (like a donation receipt comes to my personal email rather than my joint with my husband, I forward it to the correct email so it can be filed there). LOL. I'm a bit of an organizational freak when it comes to information)

Do you have any kind of system to limit the amount of emails you get daily? Only that I call SPAM out right away and unsubscribe from things the moment I get tired of things. I get thousands of emails, but I will usually do a quick delete by sorting by name if I have to. It really only gets out of control after I don't check it for a week, like if I've been on vacation or been sick.

19. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

Do you check your email everyday? Yes, multiple times

Are you good about keeping your email tidy deleting after you read? Pretty much. I read/delete ads/spam emails immediately. I read, then file or delete other emails. I have folders for everything from mail order emails to sports emails to school emails. I do keep things in my inbox that I might need to check back on to remind me. That said, I really need to clean out my in-box.

Not really, although if I start getting too many ad emails from a business I unsubscribe, plus I use my spam option for spamming emails ...

20. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

Do you check your email everyday? Yes

Are you good about keeping your email tidy deleting after you read? Yes. I delete spam right away. I'll put things in folders that I need to save. I do keep things in my inbox that I need to deal with. Right now I have 10 e-mails in my inbox that need to be responded to.

Do you have any kind of system to limit the amount of emails you get daily? No. Not really. I should unsubscribe from a bunch of places that I've signed up for their newsletters but don't actually read them.

weaselwatchr likes this.