Windows 11 Thumbnails

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by Karen, Dec 21, 2021.

1. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

londoncuppa and amien1 like this.
  2. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

Thanks! I found that same article last night & while it works on files, it still doesn't show a folder preview. I don't know if it's even possible to change now. Maybe if enough people complain about it they will change it back to how it was before!

But thanks for your help!

Karen likes this.
  3. DivaMom96

DivaMom96 Well-Known Member

Yes, I saw an article about that. That's one of the most important features for us arty types! No plans on upgrading now.

amien1 likes this.
  4. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

I think a Microsoft rebellion is in order. I was just sick after I installed 11 and lost all my folder icons. It makes it so much harder to sort through folders.

Karen, amien1 and BevG like this.
  5. LynnZant

LynnZant Well-Known Member

This happened to me almost two years ago after my computer crashed and I bought a new one with Windows 10. I went back and forth with Microsoft on this issue. I finally had to set each folder jpeg through the properties menu to get it to show. I did all my templates but still haven't done all the kits. It's too overwhelming. I don't plan on upgrading because of MS not letting you choose your own browser. I think that I read a revolt on that one, and MS changed it.

6. Iowan

I’m thinking I might go the Mac route for my next computer. Grr, hiss, kicking the dirt!

7. BevG

BevG If I can't remember it, it didn't happen

Argh... you just get the picture of a file folder --- no preview. I saw a third-party app that offered to restore this feature but...
    1) you had to assign the preview file name for each folder by clicking on it -- It was tedious getting the folder.jpg files. I can't image having to do a process to point to that specific file for each folder.
    2) It only gives you a slim sliver of the photo -- just enough to say - hey it has documents VS photos in that folder - pretty worthless for us wanting kit previews.

amien1 and Iowan like this.
  8. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Honestly, I've seen issues there too. So, neither system is perfect. In fact, if my friend doesn't update her MAC computer, Chrome won't be usable.

9. Iowan

I’m really hoping for a fix soon. You have a good option.:hairpol:hairpol

amien1 and Tree City like this.
  10. LivyBug

LivyBug I should be considered yarned and dangerous.

I'm hoping for a fix too!

This isn't a perfect solution, but I already had ACDSee for tagging, and I've started to use it as a file browser too. It doesn't do folder previews like Windows 10 (renaming a file to folder doesn't work) but it still shows a peek in to the folder.

Iowan, amien1 and Tree City like this.
  11. rach3975

rach3975 Well-Known Member

Nooo...I haven't looked into Windows 11 yet because I like to give them some time to work out the kinks first, especially on an older system (3 years old). No folder previews? What was MS thinking...I can't imagine there were no photographers or graphic designers on their testing teams that flagged this for them. If they don't fix it, I won't be upgrading until a new computer forces me to.

amien1, HavaDrPepper and Iowan like this.
  12. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Windows update told me my system was good for Win11 and it was available to me. I said no thanks! and sent the reminder on its way into the ozone.

rach3975, Iowan and amien1 like this.
  13. DivaMom96

Iowan and amien1 like this.
  14. Iowan

Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
    DivaMom96 and amien1 like this.
  15. amien1

amien1 I do enjoy a good exclamation point!

I just got a new computer (Happy birthday to me!!) and it's AWESOME- specs are so perfect for what I need it to do. i9 processor, 32GB Ram, 2TB SSD & Amazing graphics card! My previous system was starting to lag a lot & just not built to run how I needed it to. It was also 8 years old. So sadly, I don't have the option to roll back to windows10. But man- I too am REALLY missing those folder previews. Fingers crossed it'll come on an update...
    [​IMG]

Karen, bestcee and Iowan like this.
  16. DivaMom96

That article also talks about getting the Windows 11 Beta, which does include folder thumbnails.

17. Iowan

Let’s hope those beta testers get the kinks out soon so we can get back to normal. :compcoffee

18. jk703

jk703 CEO of Anything and Everything, Everywhere

Is this what I manually do to my folders?? I never had previews and had to find a work around. It’s tedious and you won’t like the extra steps. But I do just scroll as I need to see…

I posted in the forums too.

bestcee and Iowan like this.
  19. Iowan

Interesting. On my PC, in system 10, the computer automatically generated icon folders using the image the designer named “folder”. EZPZ!

amien1 and DivaMom96 like this.
  20. Pachimac

Pachimac Give me all the cliché Christmas movies

You will adore your Mac!!! I can’t stand it when I sit down and my Mac is booted into Windows for my daughters gaming. I can’t switch it fast enough.

Iowan likes this.