Wrapping | Pad Patter 12.5

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Dec 5, 2021.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

I've spent most of today taking inventory of the Christmas gifts I have and wrapping what I can. I need to get some boxes and some more ribbon, so I'm kind of at a standstill now. So just out of curiosity...

Do you enjoy wrapping gifts?
    Do you have specific paper or ribbon that you use?
    Any wrapping traditions?
    Do you have to like set the mood for wrapping?
    Do you have a wrapping station?

2. QuiltyMom

QuiltyMom I'll never run out of things to do!

Do you enjoy wrapping gifts? No. I used to, but now it seems like a chore. Gift bags are nice, but they're not as fun for the recipient to open. There's just something extremely satisfying about tearing paper off a package, ya know?

Do you have specific paper or ribbon that you use? Whatever I happen to have purchased the prior year on deep discount at the after Christmas sales. I did just purchase some fun Scandinavian-themed paper to use next year, though (I have already finished my wrapping!)

Any wrapping traditions? Not really. As a kid my mom would pay us to wrap presents for our sisters. I never understood why because I thought it was so fun. Now I can see why she did it - she had too many other things to do instead.

Do you have to like set the mood for wrapping? I usually put Christmas music on to listen to as I wrap.

Do you have a wrapping station? Yes. My bedroom floor. LOL! Then it all gets put away and placed in our guest bedroom until it's needed next.

IntenseMagic likes this.
  3. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I never minded wrapping gifts but haven't for a few years. I think the last time I did was when we did a Christmas for Kids at work 8 or 9 years ago.

I had to get rid of the wrapping paper I had because it was falling apart it was so old!

IntenseMagic likes this.
  4. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Do you enjoy wrapping gifts? No. I used to love wrapping, but not anymore.
    Do you have specific paper or ribbon that you use? IF I wrap, I have to have heavy paper. If I go around a corner of a box and it tears, I can't stand it.
    Any wrapping traditions? No
    Do you have to like set the mood for wrapping? No, I do it when I'm in the mood.
    Do you have a wrapping station? I've been using my bed because it's really high. The cat is usually laying on it and I'm bothering him. Haha

IntenseMagic likes this.
  5. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Do you enjoy wrapping gifts? YES! For me it is an art. I enjoy coming up with unique presentations. I look forward to it! :banana:tree
    Do you have specific paper or ribbon that you use? Only in that adults get the more "sophisticated" paper and kids get paper from one roll, making it easy to distinguish.

Any wrapping traditions?
    NOPE.
    Do you have to like set the mood for wrapping?
    Yeah, get it done as they are acquired or created! Last minute wrapping feels silly and frustrating.
    Do you have a wrapping station? A free flat surface at waist level. ha!:agree

IntenseMagic likes this.
  6. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Do you enjoy wrapping gifts? No. It's difficult to wrap while sitting, so I end up standing and I'm miserable before I even get finished with the first gift. We've come to a sort of arrangement. Hubby wraps the boxes, and Olivia puts the tags and ribbon on. If she's not available, I'll do the ribbon and tags.

Do you have specific paper or ribbon that you use? Generally I used whatever we have on hand (and that I've purchased at the end of the previous season).

Any wrapping traditions? We try to wait and do them all at one go. I guess that's about as tradition based as it gets. LOL

Do you have to like set the mood for wrapping? Having a Christmas movie or music on always helps!

Do you have a wrapping station? No, but my step-mom had one that my dad built for her. It was left behind when they sold their house house. I always loved it. It was based on a wrapping station by Pottery Barn. It looked nearly identical to the PB one - which they no longer sell. If I had room, I would ask my dad to make me one. One day, when I get a craft room, I'd love to have one.

wall-mounted-craft-organizer-o.jpg

IntenseMagic likes this.
  7. IntenseMagic

I feel the same about wrapping vs gift bags. I do use them from time to time, but don't enjoy them as much :) My mom used to get us to do wrapping for her as well :)

8. IntenseMagic

I had some wrapping paper in my closet that was falling apart as well :giggle

9. IntenseMagic

I used to enjoy it more than I do now also, and yes to the heavy paper!!

10. IntenseMagic

I agree on the last minute wrapping!! My goal is always to be wrapped before Christmas break so I can enjoy my time off without pressure to get things done!

AJK likes this.
  11. IntenseMagic

Oh man, I love that table!! I would love to have something like that!! I need to find someone to make me one :)

gonewiththewind likes this.
  12. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Do you enjoy wrapping gifts? Not really. Fortunately, I'm skilled at it. My mom worked in the gift wrap department of Mervyn's in the 1980's so I learned from her. But I don't care enough about it. Often I don't even bother with ribbon or bows.

Do you have specific paper or ribbon that you use? I use whatever I have, which is usually stuff I bought years ago. I have one of those long shallow plastic containers meant for holding wrapping paper and another box for ribbons & bows. I buy cheap paper because we're just going to throw it away.

Any wrapping traditions? I'm not even sure what that would be. Oh, do you mean like when my kids were little and I devised some clever ways to identify which gifts belonged to whom? Several years I assigned each kid a wrapping paper. Once or twice I put numbers on the packages and wrote a list in my phone notepad; on Xmas morning I said, "Gift 1 goes to So-and-so," etc.

Do you have to like set the mood for wrapping? I just get it done.

Do you have a wrapping station? I get the boxes of paper and bows from my basement and bring them up the two flights of stairs to my bedroom. I lock the door, pull my kids' gifts out of their hiding places, and sort them on the bed. Then I wrap most of them on the bed; some big ones on the floor.

13. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

Oh yeah! There were a few years several years ago when my middle child loved wrapping gifts and begged me to let them do it. I was happy to let them wrap their siblings' gifts. :D

14. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Do you enjoy wrapping gifts? Nope, I usually use either gift bags or do a donation at the shopping centre for the professionals to wrap my gifts
    Do you have specific paper or ribbon that you use?
    No, what ever is available in the bottom of the cupboard if I haven't managed to get it wrapped elsewhere
    Any wrapping traditions? Not personally but for years there were two huge rolls of shiny gold and silver wrapping paper that were used by everyone in the family because we had so much of it....didn't matter the time of year either!
    Do you have to like set the mood for wrapping? Not really, its just a job I need to do to me
    Do you have a wrapping station? Not as such but we have the floor of our hot water and linen cupboard for all our gift wrap and bags etc

15. StefanieS

StefanieS Think it over, think it under

Do you enjoy wrapping gifts? Yes, mostly
    Do you have specific paper or ribbon that you use? Yes, I usually have a colour scheme for the year
    Any wrapping traditions? No, generally I do everyone and they just do mine.
    Do you have to like set the mood for wrapping? Not really, mostly I sit and get it done.
    Do you have a wrapping station? Yes, I do like an organised set-up

16. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I don't enjoy wrapping, I think of it as a chore so try to get thru it as quickly as possible. I usually wrap at the kitchen table, put the paper out on the counter behind me and the tape, bows, tags, etc beside me on the counter across from the table. I sort the gifts into piles for each person. I used to randomly wrap but then one year I accidentally put the wrong names on gifts and caused a big mixup so now I'm more organized about it. \

I like to watch a Xmas movie while I wrap.

17. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Do you enjoy wrapping gifts? Not really. But it helps a ton that I have really tried to wrap gifts as I get them in the house so it's not such a chore. I used to always put it off until Christmas Eve after church and I'd be exhausted by the time I went to bed.

Do you have specific paper or ribbon that you use? I've been super lucky the last couple of years to find the nice thick Hallmark wrapping paper with the gridlines on the back at our Dollar Tree, so I bought a ton of it for $1 a roll. It's the best paper I've use as I usually buy cheap stuff since it all gets thrown away and then I get annoyed when it rips while I'm wrapping. :giggle

Any wrapping traditions? Not really.

Do you have to like set the mood for wrapping? I usually listen to Christmas music

Do you have a wrapping station? Yes! I put up a 6 foot folding table in my craft room and have all the stuff at the ready. It makes it so much easier to have a nice flat empty table to use for wrapping!

18. mary kate

mary kate Well-Known Member

Do you enjoy wrapping gifts? No! I find it a tedious chore, I guess because I'm just not very good at it. All of that paper and tape, all in a mess on my kitchen table, and it cannot be done digitally!...

Do you have specific paper or ribbon that you use? I buy paper and ribbon on sale at places like TJ Maxx/Winners, and also at Costco. Whatever's on sale, I guess.

Any wrapping traditions? It's Christmas Eve, and I'm not yet finished wrapping: throw me a couple of d*mn gift bags! This happens every year, so I guess that counts as a tradition?

Do you have to like set the mood for wrapping? Christmas music in the background, but as much as I love the music, I still hate the wrapping...

Do you have a wrapping station? My kitchen table is my wrapping station. As much as I admire a Pottery Barn-style craft room, that space would be totally wasted on the likes of me!

19. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

Do you enjoy wrapping gifts? For the most part yes. I don't like having to wrap dozens of gifts on Christmas Eve ... that happened a lot when my kids/grandkids were young.
    Do you have specific paper or ribbon that you use? I used to have "From Santa" paper that I used for the grandkids, but passed it along to a friend a couple of years ago as my youngest grandson was 14 and no longer believed in Santa.
    Any wrapping traditions? No, other than I prefer to wrap gifts vs. using gift bags. I'm known for wrapping gifts in shipping boxes and the grandkids love to shout "It's a BOX!!!" when opening gifts.
    Do you have to like set the mood for wrapping? No, sometimes I'll play Christmas music.
    Do you have a wrapping station? I set up a couple of tables in my basement ... one to wrap on and one to pile the wrapped gifts on.

20. Scrapping with Liz

Scrapping with Liz Crafts for days.

Don't enjoy it. Mostly my kids wrap the presents in my house. I don't care how they do it or what they use as long as it gets done. LOL!