Suggestions for Jan-Apr 2022

Discussion in 'Reading Pad' started by Karen, Nov 29, 2021.

1. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

Holy SMOKES! I can't believe it's time to pick books again already for another few months! I'm a bit behind on reading, but just finished the one for December a few days ago. I'm ready for some new books for the new year!

We have a fun informal book club here at The Lilypad and it's open to anyone and everyone who likes to read! :clap For this thread we are looking for suggestions for what to read together over the next four months. Everyone can suggest one book for now because when I do the voting poll, I can only have 10 selections in the poll. I will leave this thread open until December 10th or until we get 10 suggestions. Then I will open up a voting poll.

Once we vote, I'll start a new thread for each of the four top books... one per month, for the next four months starting in September. You can see the complete list of our old picks in our Master Reading List. You can read the books in any order and at any time. If you want to chat about the books, just reply to that thread. Easy peasy! :agree

So.... what should we read together next?

1. Lovely War by Julie Berry
    2. We Begin at the End by Chris Whitaker
    3. Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo
    4. Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness
    5. The Lincoln Highway by Amor Towles
    6. All the Good Things - Clare Fisher
    7. Cold Wind (Alaska Wild Mysteries, #2) by Paige Shelton
    8. Every Last Fear by Alex Finlay
    9. The Electric Kingdom by David Arnold
    10. The Fixer by Claudia Carroll

Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
  2. plumdumpling

plumdumpling CT - Krista Sahlin

I can't believe it's almost the new year! This could be a good choice for February if you're into mood reading with the holidays. I've heard rave reviews about this one but haven't picked it up yet.

[​IMG]

Lovely War by Julie Berry

It's 1917, and World War I is at its zenith. Two love stories catch our attention.

Thirty years after these four lovers' fates collide, the Greek goddess Aphrodite tells their stories to her husband, Hephaestus, and her lover, Ares, in a luxe Manhattan hotel room at the height of World War II. She seeks to answer the age-old question: Why are Love and War eternally drawn to one another? But her quest for a conclusion that will satisfy her jealous husband uncovers a multi-threaded tale of prejudice, trauma, and music and reveals that War is no match for the power of Love.

3. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

4. Karen

Oooh! I have this one and haven't read it yet!

plumdumpling likes this.
  5. Karen

6. mrs2a50

mrs2a50 Pretty much the best.ever.

Karen likes this.
  7. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

bellbird and plumdumpling like this.
  8. klee73010

klee73010 I might have a thing for drummers

Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness! I'll probably be rereading (again, for possibly the 4th or 5th time) since the show will be wrapping up in February. Season 1 covers book 1 (the only one I've seen so far), and seasons 2 and 3 complete the trilogy. I haven't watched season 2 yet, and plan to binge it alllll!!

Karen and janedee like this.
  9. klee73010

I really really enjoyed the show. Season 1 covers this book 1 of this series, as well as a sort of unwritten prequel to the Six of Crows duology that follows this trilogy... I recommend all of it. Leigh Bardugo is a wonderful writer, and I think each book got better and better.

bellbird, Karen and janedee like this.
  10. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

Ok, I'll take Julie's word for it. I'll choose "We Begin At The End" by Chris Whitaker.

mrs2a50 and Karen like this.
  11. Karen

12. Karen

I have this book and it's been on my to-read list forever, so I'd love to do this one too! Where is the show playing? I'll have to read the books first of course. :giggle

klee73010 likes this.
  13. klee73010

I bought season 1 outright on Prime, but season 2 hasn't been available to purchase outright yet. I think Sundance? It's not a streaming service I have, so I want to wait until all are available so I can binge them all either in a trial period, or just pay for one month. :giggle

(I don't watch enough TV to justify another streaming service long term)

Karen likes this.
  14. londoncuppa

londoncuppa I like rain, England ... and big words

I've read so many great books and discovered new authors this year. I'll have to see what was previously read by the group for 2021, so I don't duplicate. I'll be back!

Karen likes this.
  15. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

plumdumpling and Karen like this.
  16. djp332

djp332 She sells seashells down by the seashore

I just downloaded this.

mrs2a50 likes this.
  17. Karen

djp332 likes this.
  18. bcgal00

bcgal00 Say, "birdseed!"

I loved the book series. I watched the TV series too, the final season starts in January....can't wait!

Karen and klee73010 like this.
  19. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

The series was fantastic and I have this in my To Read stash as well ahead of the next season

Karen likes this.
  20. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

Here's some ideas from my to read list - maybe add whatever theme is lacking so far?

The Electric Kingdom - David Arnold (it sounds dystopian & post apocalyptic /sci fi)

or

All the Good Things - Clare Fisher (?any relation, Karen?) - sounds kind of heavy but contemporary & about hope or redemption but harder to categorise

or The Fixer- Claudia Carroll (sounds lighter & Sophie Kinsella -ish)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Electric-Kingdom-Professor-Emeritus-History/dp/0593202228

https://www.amazon.com/Good-Things-Clare-Fisher-author/dp/024127575X

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fixer-must-read-bestselling-Claudia-Carroll/dp/1838773924

(Sorry about the Amazon links, all the Google Goodreads links kept opening in the Goodreads app on my phone & I couldn't find links in there)