Gutted....ACDSee

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by littlekiwi, May 17, 2021.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Oh I can restore back ups from within the system, it’s more of a ugh, not again scenario. Because of previous experience I knew that likely I’d be able to restore and get most of my tagging back @HavaDrPepper - I just need to remember to run the back up wizard more often to get an as up to date back up rather than a 3 week old one.

2. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I realize I could Google this but I'd love to have the link you used, if you don't mind? That way I'll know it'll work for me. :)

3. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

Not sure I'm understanding what you are asking for as for a link. I used a txt file to import into Bridge. After much google research and reading multiple sites, I found the information about importing a txt file. I just modified an old file I found on my computer to do the import. My computer is still a mess as to the "links" to open programs since my IT friend has not been able to come over to look at it.

4. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

Sorry, I meant that I'd like to know where on the internet (aka the link) you found the info you needed to know WHERE the text file is located. Cuz I sure don't know where to find that info on my computer or how to replace it.:giggle (Mine hasn't been lost/messed up/etc. I just want to make a copy JIC.)

5. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

Tree City likes this.
  6. bestcee

I haven't had this happen yet, so I'm not positive. But, if you embedded the data, can't you have it catalog files? Won't it find any embedded keywords?

Sidenote: Do you have it set up to prompt you to embed data when you exit everytime? I did that because I was worried about losing any keywording I did.

7. littlekiwi

I lost my tagging hierarchy so had to import the database but everything was there once I did that. Just sucks it’s happened more than once this year.

bestcee likes this.
  8. bestcee

Yep. It totally does! I'm glad it was easy to restore this time though.

9. littlekiwi

it was only easy because I'd been through it before, not that it was necessarily easy or quick!

bestcee likes this.
  10. HavaDrPepper

bestcee likes this.
  11. HavaDrPepper

What @bestcee said. Export it and save it in several locations so you don't lose it. A long time ago I had gotten a copy of Cheryl's tags in a thread here somewhere. I had modified it for my use and saved it as a txt file. I decided a few weeks ago to try tagging in Bridge again and changed a few things and eliminated some categories. I had not exported that info before my computer went haywire. But when I found the txt file by doing a search in file explorer, I could edit it and import it. The tagging pane then showed the right information in Bridge and for me, the important part... they can be read by Picasa. Picasa is not tagging friendly but reads the embedded tags just fine.

Tree City and bestcee like this.
  12. bestcee

I'm sorry, that should have said is that the file you mean. Silly autocorrect! :thumbsups

HavaDrPepper likes this.
  13. littlekiwi

And it happened again as I was opening ACDSee....2nd time this week. Getting a bit over it to be honest.

14. littlekiwi

Finding a different way is looking increasingly more appealing the more times ACDSee can't link my database and I have to redo at least some tagging

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
  15. littlekiwi

I have never done this much backing up of anything in my life....backing up my ACDSee Database before I shut down ACDSee each time (as well as embedding tags which I was doing already) to see if it prevents me from losing tagging again. It's worth a try and hopefully it works better.

bestcee likes this.
  16. bestcee

@littlekiwi It's weird that it keeps happening. Have you tried contacting ACDSee customer support? I have the same one as you - version 18, and I don't have that same problem.

17. littlekiwi

I've got Home 2021 now so latest version.

No, I haven't because from what I have read so far, its been happening for years now. If I remember to write down the exact error the next (hopefully not) time it happens I may contact them

18. littlekiwi

@bestcee I did end up contacting support so just waiting for them now....probably mid next week at the earliest thanks to time differences and the fact I don't have their premium support package to get me to the head of the queue faster.

Anyway looks like I've actually lost a tonne more tags than I thought I did. Just going through Allison's folder which was completely tagged in terms of the previews and hardly any have tags now (or at least that I can see)

bestcee likes this.
  19. littlekiwi

Losing some tags was only the tip of the iceberg....I probably lost almost all my tags that I had done prior to yesterday which is so annoying. I can only think somehow they didn't back up or something but a lot of those tags were fairly old so its very weird that its only recently that they've vanished. Quite possibly linked to the last database issue I had a few days ago maybe.

20. littlekiwi

Example being Soco's folder I should have 72 previews tagged but only 9 are.