Bologna | Pad Patter 10.24

Discussion in 'Chatty Pad' started by IntenseMagic, Oct 24, 2021.

1. IntenseMagic

IntenseMagic Some grannies cuss a lot. I'm some grannies.

Today is National Bologna Day! I cannot write or type that word without this commercial going through my head (yes, I'm dating myself)

It seems like most of the people I know either love bologna or hate it. I've never heard anyone who is really just meh about it. DH hates it, I love it. Sometimes, nothing beats a good bologna sandwich. I like it with mayo or mustard, some onion, cheese. But I would have to say that my favorite way to eat bologna is fried :)

Do you enjoy bologna??

2. Iowan

Iowan Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

We grew up with bologna sandwiches with white Wonder bread and French’s mustard. We rarely had it fried but I remember liking the fried version. I haven’t had a bologna sandwich in 30 years or so, I guess I thought it was unhealthy.
    I will have the catchy tune in my mind all day! :crazy

3. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

I remember liking it although I haven't had any in a very long time. I'm with Carol on this one maybe 30 years.

4. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

A fried bologna sandwich was one of the first things I ate back in May when I could start eating anything again. It tasted so good! We have a bar/restaurant here in town that has the best friend bologna sandwiches. They use a really thick cut of bologna.

I've been known to take a piece of bologna, put it on a plate, cut it up and eat it that way. Or rolling it up and just eating it that way. Guess you could say I like bologna...

And, yes, I remember the commercial.

5. Karen

Karen Wiggle it, just a little bit!

I totally sing that same song every time I have to spell it too! :giggle

I occasionally throw some in the grocery cart for some good old bologna sandwiches in the summer. Although I do get the turkey version now.

6. weaselwatchr

weaselwatchr Viva, Las Vegas!

[​IMG]
    My Toadie has a first name, it's B-A-R-T

Memaw2Wm likes this.
  7. G.J.

G.J. If I Could Turn Back Time

kisses for Bart

8. bellbird

bellbird Pollywog

i don't think we even have it here (i thought you might be going to Italy!)
    [​IMG]

It sounds like what we have called devon though? & just the thought of it makes me nauseous -so i'm definitely on the 'ick' side
    [​IMG]

9. Cherylndesigns

Cherylndesigns All glasses should be bigger than 1.5 oz

Oh thanks, now I'm singing the Oscar Mayer song. :duh:lol We like it - on white bread with Mayo. Fried bologna is good, too.

10. meganmecrazy

meganmecrazy Caution: Randomly Breaks Out into Show tunes

I'm actually meh about it! I don't love or hate the taste of it but after knowing how it is made and all...I stay away!

11. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

agree fully with @bellbird on this

bellbird likes this.
  12. Ferdy

Ferdy Heavy Metal Head Banger

I had to Google for translation, and we have it here, but it seems that the Bologna kind is more expensive and the cheaper one is called "mortadela". I like it!!

Dalis and bellbird like this.
  13. michelepixels

michelepixels A pun is not fully matured until it is full groan.

I ate bologna and liked it for the first two decades of my life but after I learned how unhealthy processed meats are, it was easy to give up. I think I was always meh about it. I've always been meh about meat in general. I ate it because I thought I needed to for protein but was never excited about any kind of meat. Now I'm plant based and eat meat as little as once a week.

By the way, I can also hear/sing the Oscar Mayer song.

14. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

Oh, I love bologna. Oscar Mayer is the brand we choose. I like to pop it in the microwave to heat it and then top it with a slice of American cheese, then slide that between two pieces of Bunny brand bread that is so very soft. YUM! I like bologna sandwiches with mayo and tomato as well.

15. zakirahzakaria

zakirahzakaria Making to-do lists CHECK. Checking to-do lists...

Are you guys talking about the thin meat slices that we put in our sandwiches? Cause I've never heard of a bologna before. Had to google and got the same result as @bellbird. If you mean the thin meat slices, we call it salami here. Hubby and I love it. We put it in our morning sandwiches and stack with salads, cheese slices.

bellbird likes this.
  16. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

Salami is a different type of deli meat here in the US.

Thanks for the ear worm, I'm going to be singing that song all day now.

I used to LOVE bologna/baloney sandwiches, fried with ketchup on white bread was my favorite. Then I ate bolgona/baloney that had been in my fridge too long and got sick from it, and haven't eaten it since.

Found this on the internet: "Bologna sausage, also spelled baloney, is a sausage derived from mortadella, a similar-looking, finely ground pork sausage containing cubes of pork fat, originally from the Italian city of Bologna. Wikipedia"
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bellbird and Ferdy like this.
  17. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

That photo of the fried bologna looks so good! Only thing to make it better is to have it on a bun instead of bread.

18. Memaw2Wm

Memaw2Wm Well-Known Member

I miss eating fried boloney sandwiches, but I just can't bring myself to eat one ... I've even bought the bologna, but just. couldn't. do. it. LOL!

19. zakirahzakaria

zakirahzakaria Making to-do lists CHECK. Checking to-do lists...

Aah, I see. So it's a different kind. I haven't seen bologna here in Malaysia. Maybe we do have them, but perhaps not at the usual grocery stores that I frequented. The high-end ones, maybe yes. I might need to pay them a visit one day.

bellbird likes this.
  20. AJK

AJK I plead the 5th ...

Ohhh, that word!!! Bologna. Grew up with the stuff- fried and otherwise, so often that we don't eat "baloney" anymore! That with Spam are outlawed at our house, LOL!!!!

bellbird likes this.