Gutted....ACDSee

Discussion in 'Scrapping Pad' started by littlekiwi, May 17, 2021.

1. littlekiwi

littlekiwi I charge by the hour for anything before noon

Went to open up ACDSee today and got a message that ACDSee was unable to connect to the database and would close (or words to that effect). It wouldn’t be a major issue had I not spent the last few days tagging about 1/3 of my stash. I am heartbroken that there’s a 99% chance I have to re tag everything. And to make matters worse it doesn't appear that I have a backup database anywhere either......

Last edited: May 17, 2021
  2. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

If you have embedded your metadata Jennifer, all may not be lost. Your tagging info should be embedded in the files now. If you have to reinstall ACDSee, you can still go to Tools, Database, Catalog files, then select a few of the folders which you have tagged already and have ACDSee catalog a section at a time. I've had to do this a few times when upgrading to a new version. Hope you can recover your info!

3. littlekiwi

Honestly, I'm not sure I did embedd anything....lesson learnt for the future I guess. Luckily I hadn't got into the meatier designers where I have a heap so it shouldn't take as long to redo hopefully

4. littlekiwi

@janedee I can get into ACDSee fine, its just the database that is gone. Am going to back it up super regularly while I'm tagging to be on the safe side now

bestcee likes this.
  5. janedee

janedee Is a craft project ever really finished?

@littlekiwi To ensure you don't lose any cataloguing info again - go to Tools, Options, Database and tick the box marked below. That way, even if your database gets corrupted, you will be able to retrieve your cataloguing info. Backing up doesn't ensure the info is embedded just backed up. Screenshot 2021 ACDSee.jpg

bestcee and LivyBug like this.
  6. littlekiwi

Thanks @janedee, it wasn't selected but is now!

7. LivyBug

LivyBug I should be considered yarned and dangerous.

Ack! So sorry Jennifer! I'm sorting things in ACDSee now, but definitely concerned about something like that happening. I set a weekly reminder to backup my database but didn't know about the embed feature.

8. Tree City

Tree City Get a stepladder, I'm busy

I'm so sorry, Jennifer! I wonder if you did add info to the metadata? Have you right-clicked on a file you know that you tagged to check the properties? I'm crossing my fingers your info is there (probably under the Details tab)! I stopped using ACDSee for this very reason. It just stinks to have all that work just...gone.

9. lulyg14

lulyg14 Testosterone Overload

I am thinking about either using Lightroom versus ACDsee - any resources that compare the 2?

10. littlekiwi

It's all gone unfortunately as that was the first thing I checked after discovering all of my categories gone. I think the fact that I hadn't embedded the data like @janedee mentioned earlier that the chances of having anything useable wasn't high

11. bestcee

bestcee In love with places I've never been to

@janedee Thanks so much for that tip! I knew I could embed, but I forget all the time!

janedee likes this.
  12. bestcee

IDK of any resources. But I know that @gonewiththewind Cheryl prefers Lightroom because she lost her ACDsee catalog.

I prefer ACDSee because I like keeping just my photos in Lightroom, and my supplies separate. Lightroom takes more computer resources for me than ACDSee. So, personal preference for me.

janedee likes this.
  13. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

@lulyg14

I have used ACDSee for years and years. I have lost my catalog more than once and I'm not even sure the embed feature was a thing when I first started using it. Anyway, after the last loss, I decided to move to Bridge. I used Bridge for a long time, tagging loads of kits, and I found it to be a huge resource hog. I chose to move to Lightroom and have a catalog for my photos and layouts, and a separate catalog for my digital supplies.

It's definitely more of a pain to use Lightroom in that I can't drag and drop from it into Photoshop like I can from File Explorer or ACDSee. Basically, if I'm searching for something, I let Lightroom find it, and then I have it open in File Explorer.

bestcee likes this.
  14. bestcee

I knew there was another thing that annoyed me about Lightroom! :giggle

gonewiththewind likes this.
  15. gonewiththewind

gonewiththewind I choose joy.

I would be in wholeheartedly if there was a drag and drop feature available for PCs. Apparently, you can do it on MACs. Grrrr.

bestcee likes this.
  16. KayTeaPea

KayTeaPea I carried a watermelon

I have been tagging in Bridge, which has seemed to work. However, I tend to forget to open Bridge and search for my items that way; and instead, just search in my Lilypad folder for specific words/items. I have been working on it when I think about it, but don't think about it often as I tend to get distracted online and go off on rabbit trails easily...
    Thanks to @gonewiththewind 's suggestion, after I get the supply list with links to products in the store (when I upload a layout), I now am adding the full list to the "file info" section in the layout file. This helps make sure I know exactly what I used on a layout even if I do not save or lose my layered file. Currently, I save the layered file (as a .tif) and then a flattened jpeg. I keep my web-sized files for a year or so, but those are not as important to keep long term.

lulyg14 and gonewiththewind like this.
  17. lulyg14

lulyg14 Testosterone Overload

thank you @gonewiththewind and @KayTeaPea - I need to improve my storage and tagging. I am forcing my self to move to Photoshop (from PSE 11, lol...) so now is the time to improve all my processes!

gonewiththewind and bestcee like this.
  18. littlekiwi

And it happened again....I've had nothing but issues this year with ACDSee so very close to giving it all up given the time and effort I put in to it for this to happen time and time again. Hoping the restore restores as much of my tagging as possible given I now embed the tags automatically.

The question now is, do I look elsewhere for my organisational software needs or do I put up with this happening again and again.

19. littlekiwi

Well, I got most of my tagging back which is good though I lost probably the last week or so's tagging and categories which is slightly annoying. I had been embedding the data but my last back up was a fraction out of date (beginning of October prior to DSD) so lost the progress since then.

20. HavaDrPepper

HavaDrPepper Space. The final frontier

I will admit I know nothing about the program but is there a way that you can export a txt file of the tagging? Then when it would act up, you could just import that file? You would have to do an export whenever you make changes to your tagging.

I lost all my settings for all programs 2 weeks ago when Windows thought my computer was a new setup. It is still not where it was before. A couple weeks before that I had used Bridge to tag previews only. Those tags carry to Picasa (yeah, had to rebuild that database as well). I lost the keywords in Bridge. From some research I found that I could import a file of keywords. Eventually I found a file on my computer (I didn't lose data just no links of program settings nor were they working right) that had the keywords. I dug through the previews using windows and created a txt file with my keywords. I then did the import and everything was back to where it was. After Picasa rebuilt its database the keywords are there as well.

I now have multiple copies of that txt file saved so it will be an easy fix it it happens again.